James (almost) going to the moon for new programme

I just realized something...or-maybe I heard wrong...

At about 54:55...Cabi calls James..."Richard"?

I just realized something...or-maybe I heard wrong...

At about 54:55...Cabi calls James..."Richard"?

Cabi says ?I think the term you?re looking for is gobsmacked aren?t you?

The ?aren?t you? is said with a pronounced ?ch? sound so it does sound like Richard.

Either that or it was indeed Richard Hammond in the passenger seat wearing a May mask.

You guys are mad..... just plain mad.

I watched four Australian F18's fly over head down here on Thursday morning they were about 700 feet up I'd say flying sooo close to one another, and going like the clappers. Just insanity.... but I bet it's great fun! :mrgreen:

The F18's here for an air show (Warbirds over Wanaka) we have to get them because our stupid politicians mothballed our Skyhawks

That looks fun!

Cheers for that. Have you ever had the chance to fly with the Blue Eagles too? Even if not you're a lucky guy, and thanks again for sharing.

Last edited:
Cabi: you should get one of those keychain cameras a bunch of us have ordered from ebay. It'll would be easy to stick a few inside the cockpit at various angles (interior and exterior) for lots of epic vids.

Cheers for that. Have you ever had the chance to fly with the Blue Eagles too? Even if not you're a lucky guy, and thanks again for sharing.

Cabi: you should get one of those keychain cameras a bunch of us have ordered from ebay. It'll would be easy to stick a few inside the cockpit at various angles (interior and exterior) for lots of epic vids.

I've not flown with the Blue Angels. I've only flown with British outfits. Flew with the Red Arrows, the 100 Sqd (Hawks & F1s), and No. 41 Squadron (Jaguars).

Keychain cameras? I'll have to check those out. Have you seen the VHoldr ? Those are what we like to use these days.

Here's another old video of mine I recently found. I'll have to look for more.
Cabi~

Last edited:

See, Cabi has this thing called a "life" and doesn't have time to follow along our million threads. You're gonna need to link him to the eBay auction and/or a post detailing it. ;)

Ahh, I see you prefer to go for the pricy, high quality stuff. :p

I think these are attractive as they are because they're so small for the image quality they provide.

Last edited:
Cabi-

Very cool clip. I envy you your job, even knowing I'd be rubbish at it. One question though, do you use visual as well as instrument navigation in this maneuver? I ask because you look around alot like you are trying to keep your bearings, while I would have assumed you rely mostly on instruments. OTOH, we sail and when off shore we use radar and SatNav, but in sight of land visualization is still key.

Thanks for all you and your fellow servicemen and women do every day. you are my heroes!

Very nice ride you got there Cabi. (Now why do I have the theme from Top Gun running through my head?)

Manouvering the T-38

Manouvering the T-38

Cabi-

Very cool clip. I envy you your job, even knowing I'd be rubbish at it. One question though, do you use visual as well as instrument navigation in this maneuver? I ask because you look around alot like you are trying to keep your bearings, while I would have assumed you rely mostly on instruments. OTOH, we sail and when off shore we use radar and SatNav, but in sight of land visualization is still key.

Thanks for all you and your fellow servicemen and women do every day. you are my heroes!

In that clip, I was monitoring the position of a U-2 in the pattern ahead of me since I am going three times the speed of the U-2 while in the traffic pattern. Once spacing is ensured, I make my final turn and cross-check my airspeed and angle of attack on the instrument panel while manouvering around the final turn so as to roll out exactly on a 3/4 mile final approach. Aimpoint-Airspeed! Aimpoint-Airspeed! Aimpoint-Airspeed! Aimpoint-Airspeed!

Cabi~

In that clip, I was monitoring the position of a U-2 in the pattern ahead of me since I am going three times the speed of the U-2 while in the traffic pattern. Once spacing is ensured, I make my final turn and cross-check my airspeed and angle of attack on the instrument panel while manouvering around the final turn so as to roll out exactly on a 3/4 mile final approach. Aimpoint-Airspeed! Aimpoint-Airspeed! Aimpoint-Airspeed! Aimpoint-Airspeed!

Cabi~

*makes mental note to shout "Aimpoint-Airspeed!" out of window of Alfa at least once this week. Maybe at a cyclist...:D

Nice to see you here again, Cabi

Cabi~

Thanks for the reply Cabi. I too will be shouting Aimpoint-Airspeed all Labor Day weekend (and those who travel with me thank you too, lol).