James, Richard, and skis

johns13193

Car(s)
Dad's Civic, Moms '02 Toyota Sienna (deer proof)
I was watching the race to verbier from season 8, and I realized this.
In the polar challenge, while training in the alps, Clarkson is saying that this is "James and Richard's first ever skiing lesson" but in the race to verbier, they are both have skis.

Am I the only one who doesn't get this?

IMO i think that the verbier race richard hammond and james may brought skis for show purposes. because what is in verbier? snow and hills. i think they brought them for cosmetic purposes for the show and not for really skiing.

if you watch richard hammond during the polar race, you can see just how bad he is at skiing, so i really dont think that part is staged.

That race was from season 5 (Ferrari 612 Scaglietti vs. airplane)

I bet on the Polar Special that was actually their first time skiing, but on the season 5 episode I bet they just carried skis for pickup shots.

Could be many explanations for this but could as well be a(nother) fake in the Polar Special. Don?t know, don?t care. Everything on Television they sell you as "reality TV" or Shows like TG is fake, part or whole. The Point is entertaining you.
It?s a Question like if you?d want to instantly know a Magician?s tricks when you see them or just enjoy the illusion. You?re not going to sue for your Money back when you find out later it was all Tricks and no real Magic, or would you? Turn on the Telly and you?re being lied to in order to entertain you (or to sell something or someone). Just accept it ... TG is no different. They set things up wich they make seem spontanious or accidental ... most of the Time it?s just well done (and Props for that! On TV most of the Stuff is BADLY Faked) ... and sometimes it?s certainly really "real" ... hard to tell the difference. Did Hammond and May struggle with first-Time skiing or was it a clever, well done Joke ... hard to tell.

But like I said ... I don?t care, still love it :)

Judging on how bad Hammond was at skiing with the dogsled in the polar episode, I'd say that it was either his first time really skiing or one of his first times. I don't think he would fake falling and being bad at skiing for the sake of comedy in those conditions.

I have been to Verbier twice, and it's a very popular ski resort, so i wouldnt think tourists would go there and not ski. It was just the image, you think Clarkson had a pair of ski's in that 612 scaglietti? i doubt it. I dont want to say this but its hard to believe a lot on TG nowadays, they even change lap times on Clarskon's accord. All these questions we want answers to, jeez. :D

Last edited:
ZOMG TOP GEAR W4S WRONG!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOZZZZZ

It's proof the show isn't real!!!1 ZOMG Cause nothing in real life is ever wrong!!!!

I was watching the race to verbier from season 8, and I realized this.
In the polar challenge, while training in the alps, Clarkson is saying that this is "James and Richard's first ever skiing lesson" but in the race to verbier, they are both have skis.

Am I the only one who doesn't get this?

They never actually wore them though, did they? Also, at one stage, Richard asks James if there was a certain way to carry these - referring to the skis. They were just props - they were racing to a ski resort, so they carried skis.

Over Analysing Alert!

For ****s sake...

Yeah, he even had no idea how to carry "his" skis at the start of the verbier race. And they carried "their" skis, but no ski boots... guess what!?

I'm a swiss. I lived on skis since my 4. birthday.

But anyway:
The main answer to your question: You are over analyzing!

Greetings, lip

don't over-analyze Top Gear, becuase yes, it has flaws, and no that doesn't mean that it's rubbish, i bet you that the first time you saw the episode you haven't seen these things, only when you watch it again, again and again do you realize that it isn't flawless. So for the sake of good television, stop paying attention to these (they aren't huge mistakes), and to end with, Top Gear is in some parts is scripted, think how hard wloud it be to make those ... accidental ...
mistakes like when he tested the porsche 991 he took the 996 instead of the 997, it's really really hard to think he's that dumb, but it was made to point out something (that they look similar), and it was fun to watch

People seem to have the weirdest problems - or is it just too long a waiting time until the next series?!?!??!??
When I watched that race I never doubted for a second that those two were absolutely clueless about skis and skiing. Not only did they not know how to carry them, but James's skis were actully far to long for his size (maybe they were Clarkson's?). So I wasn't really surprised when the special said they had their first skiing lesson only this year.

certainly some huge withdrawal symptoms here... please cure him !

I have been skiing for 24 years, a pacesetter for NASTAR, and I can tell you, dem boys dont be knowin how to ski!