NBC to make US version of Top Gear called "Gear"

Status
Not open for further replies.
dude, you live in Norway. who are you to say what kind of cars we are obsessed with?

From edmunds.com:

Best-selling vehicles of 2006:

1. Ford F-series
2. Chevrolet Silverado
3. Toyota Camry
4. Dodge Ram

Same list for 2005, in 2004, the Ram and the Camry swapped places.

Because Top Gear is aired in Europe where Americans hopefully won't see it. It's not like Europeans turn out in droves to buy American cars anyway.

That makes no sense. They let TopGear test the cars, because Americans aren't watching and Europeans aren't buying? Sounds like a colossal waste of time and money then.

From edmunds.com:

1. Ford F-series
2. Chevrolet Silverado
3. Toyota Camry
4. Dodge Ram

Doesn't mean we're "obsessed" with them. That's like saying Europeans are obsessed with Ford Mondeos.

Why would GM/Ford/Chrysler allow their cars on the original TopGear if they weren't going to tolerate criticism?
TG doesn?t need their permit to go test a Car. They don?t need to get them from the Company officially - when it?s not some special rare thing - and can have it on the show even when they aren?t given a "Press-sample".

And it?s not like the car companies (as in any other buisness as well - and not only american ones)n have been nice with Papers, Blogs or whatever when there was negative coverage about their products. A lot of Car-mags (they especially tend to pick on the small ones like every bully) can sing a song about suddenly getting the cold shoulder after some honest words about a Car. That?s just how it is in this buisness and that?s why most coverage about cars in Papers and on TV is more like a comercial than anything else. Doesn?t matter if it?s an american Firm, a german one or whatever nationality.

Last edited:
TG doesn?t need their permit to go test a Car. They don?t need to get them from the Company officially - when it?s not some special rare thing - and can have it on the show even when they aren?t given a "Press-sample".

The point is, they are given "Press Samples".

From edmunds.com:

1. Ford F-series
2. Chevrolet Silverado
3. Toyota Camry
4. Dodge Ram

omg, that made me laugh. you're basing what you said on sales figures.:lol:

The point is, they are given "Press Samples".
No, the Point is, they don?t need them, and they?ve had a lot of Cars on the show given to them by dealers, importers, staff or rentals - not the manufaturers.
Especially Cars from the american Market (that are not sold over here via dealers) are mostly just lend by (professional) improters. You can tell when you look at the numberplates. Most of them so far were German Plates with "NE", wich stands for Neuss where Europes biggest(?) importer of americans Cars is resident.

Its better than nothing.

Hopefully they will do more reviews on cars we get here in the states.

omg, that made me laugh. you're basing what you said on sales figures.:lol:

Yeah, and it proves my point that the average american buys american cars, and rubbish ones at that. 3 out of 4 is a fucking pick-up truck for gods sake.

European best-selling cars feature the Focus, Golf, Clio, 3-Series BMW and so forth. Sensible smaller size cars that offer good milage, are fun to drive and are well put together.

This is the point, the culture for what cars europeans and americans buy is very different. So an US car-show needs a different focus to attract the mainstream viewer.

You could argue that TopGear mostly feature insanely expensive supercars, and you'd be partly right. But what supercars could "Gear" show and still capture a large viewerbase of average americans?

Yeah, and it proves my point that the average american buys american cars, and rubbish ones at that. 3 out of 4 is a fucking pick-up truck for gods sake.

European best-selling cars feature the Focus, Golf, Clio, 3-Series BMW and so forth. Sensible smaller size cars that offer good milage, are fun to drive and are well put together.

This is the point, the culture for what cars europeans and americans buy is very different. So an US car-show needs a different focus to attract the mainstream viewer.

You could argue that TopGear mostly feature insanely expensive supercars, and you'd be partly right. But what supercars could "Gear" show and still capture a large viewerbase of average americans?

no it does not prove your point. what kind of cars we're obsessed with and what cars sell better are 2 TOTALLY different things.

like i said, you live in Norway. come to NA and take a look around for once. don't just base your opinion on some retarded intarweb site.

You need a reality check. Elmo is making good points.

You need a reality check. Elmo is making good points.

Which is..?

oh and guess what.....

the cars you listed that are the best selling in Europe.....

THEY'RE ALL EUROPEAN! including the Focus.

Yeah, my point again. Americans like american trucks, europeans like european hatches. Do you imagine TopGear mostly testing american cars? They'd be butchering every single one of them. Would american viewers want to watch that?

No, the Point is, they don?t need them, and they?ve had a lot of Cars on the show given to them by dealers, importers, staff or rentals - not the manufaturers.
Especially Cars from the american Market (that are not sold over here via dealers) are mostly just lend by (professional) improters. You can tell when you look at the numberplates. Most of them so far were German Plates with "NE", wich stands for Neuss where Europes biggest(?) importer of americans Cars is resident.

Has any car manufacturer ever tried to sue TopGear, or the BBC, over what was said in a car review on the show?

If not, then it doesn't matter. They all allow their cars to be on the show, without complaint. Some car companies even try their hardest to get their cars on the show just for the incredible publicity. Koenigsegg even repaired a car TopGear crashed, just so they can give it back to TopGear so they can finish testing it.

They may not "need" press samples or permission, but then again, neither does anyone else.

[...]This is the point, the culture for what cars europeans and americans buy is very different.
That difference would make that show interesting for me. I?m tired seeing the same Cars I see everyday on the road on telly. I?d really like to see what?s on the american market I don?t know about. So if it turned out to be mostly about popular Cars in the US ... that?ll be fine with me. If they?d start having Ferrari and Porsche, that would bore me to death. But I?m not target for their comercials so they probably won?t care much about my opinion :mrgreen:

I'm not sure what else I can say considering how long this thread is getting. I'm not sure about this translation, in particular for the fact that it seems rather spur of the moment. I will certainly give it a chance, but I think the UK version will be tops forever.

Yeah, my point again. Americans like american trucks, europeans like european hatches. Do you imagine TopGear mostly testing american cars? They'd be butchering every single one of them. Would american viewers want to watch that?

first of all, most of the U.S. population has never heard of Top Gear. meaning that the first viewers watching the pilot will be automotive enthusiasts. yes, the original Top Gear appeals to everybody including non-enthusiasts.

an American automotive enthusiasts isn't just one type of person. i'm a great example of that. i love EVERYTHING automotive. from American muscle/pony cars to today's modern cars from around the world. hell, one of my dream cars is the Astra OPC.

-there's the American enthusiast who loves the old style hot rods of the 20's, 30's, and 40's.
-there's the enthusiast who loves everything automotive whether it be Japanese, Euro, Aus, Korean, or American. (like me)
-then there's the enthusiasts who loves just one specific country made cars.
-and as always, there's the fanboys.

get my drift yet? not every American is obsessed with trucks and SUV's.

-there's the American enthusiast who loves the old style hot rods of the 20's, 30's, and 40's.
-there's the enthusiast who loves everything automotive whether it be Japanese, Euro, Aus, Korean, or American.

Thats where I sit.

not every American is obsessed with trucks and SUV's.
I hate trucks, the exception being the GMC Syclone, which is mostly an "American sports car" with a truck body on top.

Alpha Most American car guys are into Classic American cars, followed very closely by those into the "import scene." You know why we buy trucks (I mean the ones that don't need the towing capacity)? They are/were the closest thing to the old style muscle cars (V8 engine and RWD).

Now that the muscle car is making a short come back, things are changing. Chrysler is heavily relying on the Challenger, GM is expecting to push well over 100k camaros, etc... I know of a LARGE number of people that refuse to buy anything modern on account that there is nothing on the market they like.

Last edited:
Sure, not all americans are alike. But I still think that TopGears format won't fit well with the general american audience. Best of luck though.

Alpha Most American car guys are into Classic American cars, followed very closely by those into the "import scene." You know why we buy trucks (I mean the ones that don't need the towing capacity)? They are/were the closest thing to the old style muscle cars (V8 engine and RWD).

Now that the muscle car is making a short come back, things are changing. Chrysler is heavily relying on the Challenger, GM is expecting to push well over 100k camaros, etc...

Ask Mr Clarkson what he thinks of classic american cars, trucks, the Challenger or the Camaro... Still think TG will work in the US?

Sure, not all americans are alike. But I still think that TopGears format won't fit well with the general american audience. Best of luck though.

Well lets assume all of my previous points are wrong (I hope), at which point, what about Top Gear isn't interesting to American audiences?

Between the hilarious challenges, the funny jokes (the right presenter could make most of JC's stuff just as acceptable as could be for the type), and the fact the show doesn't require you to love cars to enjoy it means it should do well.

edit: My grandfather who is practically solutes every American flag he goes by, LOVED top gear. He had all the eps on BBC tivo'd and would shoot anyone who deletes them.

Ask Mr Clarkson what he thinks of classic american cars, trucks, the Challenger or the Camaro... Still think TG will work in the US?

Clarkson has owned quite a few classic American cars. And to think an American version would be just 3 americans re-telling JC's jokes is just idiotic. Even so, the right host poking fun at old American cars and their unwillingness to turn would likely be quite funny. It's been done before, and there are plenty of people that don't like classic Americana that would enjoy it.

You know nothing about this country, so stop being a troll. You've actually got me siding with Elmo187 on this... I hate you for that alone

Last edited:
Look, for all of you that say we are prejudging the show before it's even aired, I think we have a right to.

Not to mention the fact that viper asked us to weigh in on whether we think the show will be good or not... see the main page post.

sooooo yes prejudge the show... discuss it... cause that's why we are here.

I have high hopes only because I've watched every episode (maybe more than once, if I'm honest) of the original and I need some more content!:)

I can't be asked to go through all the pages and will just assume that it's the same old "bohoo they're going to ruin it etc".

I personally think everyone should give it a chance. Who knows it might be really good? We don't get to see many American cars tested, and would love to see some high speed drag and oval antics.

Status
Not open for further replies.