Porscher

I have noticed that British people add an R to a lot of words not just car names, maybe someone could shed some light on that...

It's called an Intrusive R. From wiki:
In a dialect with intrusive R, an epenthetic [?] is added after a word that ends in a non-high vowel or glide if the next word begins with a vowel, regardless of whether the first word historically ended with /?/ or not. For example, intrusive R would appear in Asia[?] and Africa or the idea[?] of it: Asia and idea did not historically end in /?/, but the [?] is inserted epenthetically to prevent a hiatus. Intrusive R also occurs within words before certain suffixes, such as draw[?]ing or withdraw[?]al.

It's like when Paul Sr. from American Chopper says, "I have an idear."

Linky

I LOVE linguistics arguments on FinalGear.

I'd rather hear the English-British accent adding an "R" to most words that end in vowels, such as "A", than a Cockney-Brit accent.

"Oi! I fink er rung Jdames. 'or Jag couldn't go fastAH den muy BM rawnd da trahck"

Holy jesus....

I LOVE linguistics arguments on FinalGear.

I'd rather hear the English-British accent adding an "R" to most words that end in vowels, such as "A", than a Cockney-Brit accent.

"Oi! I fink er rung Jdames. 'or Jag couldn't go fastAH den muy BM rawnd da trahck"

Holy jesus....

The best was when Clarkson wanted to know what show some guy was on and a girl in the audience shouted "X FactAH!" Then Jezza mocked her.

I thought it was funny anyway.

It's BBC english. epp_b and watisdis have it right. It's not as predominant in coloquial english, though.

Not that I like Porches or anything, but why do all the presenters add an "r" at the end of "Porche" it really annoys me:|

because that's how you pronounce it if your not a slack jawed simpleton

classic german name, and the "e" is more of an "a" at the end. "Porsch-a"

Wrong. It's pronounced with a schwa, which is a half consonant and sounds like "uh". And read what epp_b and watisdis said about it, you slack jawed simpleton.

Not that I like Porches or anything, but why do all the presenters add an "r" at the end of "Porche" it really annoys me:|

Because it's british accent, americans don't say porscher.
the same as jaguar and jagua.

about 99% of all americans I ever talked about cars with pronounced it porch... god knows why...

porch is pronounced (in new england anyway) with a hard ch like church or chocolate i think what you mean is a pronunciation more like pour-sh which i do hear alot (it's how i say it). I tend to associate pour-sh with America and pour-sha with Europe

Not that I'm any sort of expert, but, from my own observations, I think I can explain...

The correct pronunciation is "porsha". When said with a British accent the "or" sounds like more of a long "o" sound, hence "posha". The "r" sound at the end of the word occurs when the following word begins with a vowel, for example, "porsche and". I think it's just a natural thing the British do (and, correct me if I'm wrong) to keep the flow of the words rather than having a hard stop in between them ("Posharand", rather than "Posha[break]and").

I've noticed it pretty consistently when a word ends with a vowel and the following word begins with a vowel.

Same thing, see above.

Wow, I didn't know that English had something like that to avoid double vowels. It's a lot like Greek with its moveable Nu.

Wanna know something interesting? I thought so.

Season 3 episode 1 - Richard is driving the stunning Porsche 911 GT and Jeremy says "porsh-er" before the test drive but in the car Richard distinctly says "porsch" (no er on the end). I have heard Richard refer to it in both ways now, but more often he does say Porsh-er. Perhaps Jezza swatted him over the head for that faux pas.

Porsch-uh, is the correct way. A bit more from the gut then Porsch-a, more emphasis on both syllables.

Most Americans pronounce it Porsch, I've even talked to owners who pronounce it wrong, not really a big deal. But then you Brits can't get in a fuss when someone says Jag-wire.

Wouldn't it be easier to ask one of our germs (germans)?

Because it's british accent, americans don't say porscher.
the same as jaguar and jagua.

Well I've got a British accent, how come I don't pronounce it that way?:p Some people say Porscher and some people say Porshe, regardless of nationality.

But it's how it is actually pronounced in Germany. I actually pronounce Volkswagen as "voksvagon" as that is how it is pronounced in Germany. We dont all say "renalt", we say it as it is pronounced in France, Renault

Education is a wonderful thing XD

But it's how it is actually pronounced in Germany. I actually pronounce Volkswagen as "voksvagon" as that is how it is pronounced in Germany. We dont all say "renalt", we say it as it is pronounced in France, Renault

Education is a wonderful thing XD

I would certainly understand what you are talking about saying "vokswagon", but I'd be very surprised hearing that pronunciation from a fellow German.

I haven't heard any native speaker omit the L in Volkswagen, I guess accuracy of "vagon" depends on who pronounces it, think the first Tomato from "You say tomato, i say tomato" and for the gen think "generation" with the G from "got".

Also, a V sound at the beginning of a word is changed to F, so it's really Folks-vah-ghen.