Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The problems I've been having with shifting apparently aren't related to the cold weather. Changing the conventional gear oil in the transmission for synthetic didn't solve the problem and the synchros on 1 and 2 got worse over the past 10 days and 3rd started to play up. I took the car back to the mechanic for another diagnosis and got the call today.

It's not good. Alexis needs a transmission transplant.

How the fuck does a manual transmission self-destruct at 63,000 miles? I mean, you have to try to destroy a manual and I've always been very gentle with Alexis, even when off roading. I'm really pissed right now, this is going to set back my suspension and bumper plans over a year.

Sorry to hear about the X, Blind. Has anyone on the Xterra Forums noted similar problems?

Bummer, that doesn't sound too good, Blind :-(
My Jazz's trans has done nearly 90k kms, including having put up with several months of being ground, mis-shifted and clunked around by me when I was learning stick. Giving up the ghost at 63k miles when you've been so gentle with it is just odd. :blink:

Also, I love the smell of freshly changed oil & fluids when you get into a just-serviced car. :)

Last edited:
The problems I've been having with shifting apparently aren't related to the cold weather. Changing the conventional gear oil in the transmission for synthetic didn't solve the problem and the synchros on 1 and 2 got worse over the past 10 days and 3rd started to play up. I took the car back to the mechanic for another diagnosis and got the call today.

How the fuck does a manual transmission self-destruct at 63,000 miles? I mean, you have to try to destroy a manual and I've always been very gentle with Alexis, even when off roading. I'm really pissed right now, this is going to set back my suspension and bumper plans over a year.

you just got a bad tranny with your car

Those leave a smell? Never noticed. :blink:

this.

and ever taken an engine apart? they can stink beyond believe!! some oil really smells aweful when past its service date...

Those leave a smell? Never noticed. :blink:

Think about it. Oil is essentially really far decayed plant matter. Think about how bad a rancid bag of lettuce smells, then think about how bad a 3 million year old bag of lettuce would smell. That is oil. :)

Found a Citroen Saxo for 1600 Euros. It's the 1.1 and is a 2000 car. Anybody has any info on the engines? I'd use it around the city and at that price, you just can't beat that.

Also, I love the smell of freshly changed oil & fluids when you get into a just-serviced car. :)

You obviously have never changed the fluid on an automatic transmission...

also brake fluid smells quite nasty.

Damn, that really sucks to hear, I was looking forward to seeing her with a beefy bumper. If the X trans aren't known for going, is a junkyard swap possible?

I don't trust a used part for something like the transmission. Too many unknowns.

I suppose it depends on how much the trans costs to be rebuilt. Around here, a trans rebuild is ~$3000, I can swap in 30 used transmissions for the price of a rebuild. Swapping in a low-mile used unit makes a lot of financial sense, but in the long run it's your call. I just happen to like wrenching on things. :lol:

You obviously have never changed the fluid on an automatic transmission...

also brake fluid smells quite nasty.
Brake fluid smells like really strong cat pee.
Whatever oil is in a differential, that is rank to the nth degree.

You know how I know SoCal has seriously polluted air? Because a six minute shower turns my white car into a hideous grey beast. Seriously, a month of continuous rain back in Vancouver wouldn't get my car half as dirty as LA rain gets it in a matter of minutes.

No matter though, free car washes make it all okay. :cool:

Am I the only one who thinks that "Sonic" is the most stupid name for a small car in years? I'd take Aveo over it anyday...

Rain around here makes my car cleaner than before :blink:

Makes my truck cleaner here too.

Just goes to show how polluted the LA basin is. Protip: Next time the natives tell you about a place called the valley of smoke, don't build a city there.