Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Why the fuck do the greens who hold one seat in the lower house think they should have as much say as parties that hold 70+

watching the Spending Review going on and Alan Johnsons response to George Osbourne's Review. Johnson looks completely useless as Shadow Chancellor. Ed Miliband once again proves how Labour will very likely lose the next election.

Why the fuck do the greens who hold one seat in the lower house think they should have as much say as parties that hold 70+

Are they in a position to take the majority either way? If not, it's indeed strange.

watching the Spending Review going on and Alan Johnsons response to George Osbourne's Review. Johnson looks completely useless as Shadow Chancellor. Ed Miliband once again proves how Labour will very likely lose the next election.

I thought he did alright - his quote from the Irish Minister of Finance was an humdinger. Also catching Osbourne saying "Labour had no credible plan" and then saying "but our cuts are no worse than Labour were proposed" and responding "you can't have that both ways" was quite good.

As for Gideon himself... cutting by 19% rather than 20% just to say "we cut less than Labour proposed" is political expediency of the worst kind. You cut what is needed to be cut, not to a headline grabbing figure.

I note he cut the BBC by a real world 12% - the licence fee doesn't go down, but it now has to pay for S4C and the World Service as well as not being permitted to raise the licence fee for a few years. Rupert Murdoch will be happy again.

The idea that we will have an aircraft carrier but no planes for it is ludicrous - but not quite as ludicrous as the contract the Government signed to build the fucking things in the first place.

Police budgets have been cut by 20%. Looks like the headline cut of 16% is achieved by insisting the police precept (part of the local Council Tax) go up to make up the shortfall. Mendacious.

Last edited:
I think that the Police have fallen away in the last 10 years from being quite good to being pants now - community support officers my arse.

I think the PCSO scheme might have worked, if it was done differently. Firstly, having professional officers (albeit without full police powers) as an auxiliary force for the police to utilise is a good idea, in my mind. The title PSCO would probably be the one I'd use, as I've got a few other ideas about how to utilize them. For instance, they might be employed to do administrative work. Why should a Commisioner or a Chief Constable or a Superintendant have a fully fledged PC as a secretary. Why not use PSCO's as secretarial staff? Why not use people in their role in archives, for collators duties to mention a few. Using them as outreach officers in primary schools and stuff like that would probably also work. Why not let them do the traffic education that police all over the world give to toddlers?

And while I'm at it, they might be used to reestablish the old concept of the local bobbie. In villages, neighborhoods, they could fill a role that's lacking from policing today.

That might have worked. Using them as normal beat cops don't work. They need to be a force of professionals with duties they can handle, and handle well. They might very well become a useful tool in policing the communities. In my mind, a PCSO in his or her limited role, shouldn't be deployed in pairs of PCSO's. Ideally, I think they could be handy to have on a beat, two normal PCs and a PCSO, for instance. The big problem with PCSO's are their limitations and lack of competance, much of that would become less evident once they were placed under the command of 'proper' constables.

Make them the professional speical constables of our day. Why not?

We used to have special constables (Still around I believe) and that seemed to work well - they were volunteers and generally speaking came from well educated backgrounds. The rabble we have now are just super "nanny's" for badly behavied children.

It is all down to this not enforcing the law anymore, an example of which is in 'divorce' cases where custody is awarded to the mother (as in 98% of cases) but access is granted to the partner. The woman delibrately deprives the man of access - he has to go to court for enforcement, she refuses - the police do nothing about it at all. Because the court will not deprive the children of their mother - result the law is made to look like an ass, women know this and play on it.

If the law says X and you do Y you should suffer the consequences not get let off all the time.

I agree.

I note he cut the BBC by a real world 12% - the licence fee doesn't go down, but it now has to pay for S4C and the World Service as well as not being permitted to raise the licence fee for a few years. Rupert Murdoch will be happy again.

i watched Johnson's response again and there were points that he did well on, i only saw the negative earlier and unfairly enough railed him on it.
I don't see why Foreign Aid has to go up in the amount of money to spend and yet we're all being screwed on the money. This feels like a pure publicity move that is born out of something to make the Government look good in the eyes of others, at the expense of shafting those who are getting shoved to one side and truly do need help.
i noticed the BBC remark in that they are freezing the licence fee and now have to pay for S4C and the World Serivce on top of that helping bring broadband to rural areas. Rupert Murdoch must be rubbing his hands with glee at what his paid underlings have achieved. I wouldn't even be surprised if the price of the Sky service goes up as well so he can get more money out of people. The Tories and their Anti-BBC bias really pisses me off at times.

On top of that, the whole defence budget annoys me as well, scrapping the Harrier Jump Jets, shutting down RAF Kinloss and the Nimrod project, along with retiring HMS Ark Royal. It honestly feels like the Government has put money before the lives of those who serve in the Armed Forces as well as our nations security.

I disliked the Tories before but i am now bordering on full blown hatred.

Are they in a position to take the majority either way? If not, it's indeed strange.

this time around yes, normally no but their leader thinks that they should be included in the leader debate between the two major parties despite fuck all support

I think that the Police have fallen away in the last 10 years from being quite good to being pants now - community support officers my arse.

Sorry to hear that about the Hampshire police, not true from the Met where they have a high approval rate in surveys. People like the police to be walking about and visible in their local streets.

The teams are based on electoral wards, headed by a Sergeant with two PC?s and three or four PCSO?s. They walk or cycle everywhere to maintain high visibility.

:)

I used to share a flat with a PC when he was "off" from the Met. He had a very low opinion of the county forces (Home counties) in general and Thames Valley and Wiltshire in particular.

That was in the 1970s.

EDIT he used to do 5xEarlies, 5xLates, 5xOff and 5xLates and he was paid 4 weekly instead of calendar month - he had money when we were all broke. He was my flatmates best friend.

Last edited:
I used to share a flat with a PC when he was "off" from the Met. He had a very low opinion of the county forces (Home counties) in general and Thames Valley and Wiltshire in particular.

That was in the 1970s.

Not much has changed then, the police here in Swindon (and by large Wiltshire) are laughable and outright useless. My mom lost her job with Wiltshire Constabulary after nearly 20 years working with them. She was a civilian worker with them and as soon as cuts were made she was shown the door rather than actual Police Officers be cut. In my parents place, Wiltshire Constabulary and Swindon Police are words that are soon followed by offensive remarks.

Because after being ignore for so long they suddenly think everyone thinks they're awesome when in reality many voted for them becasue the liberal and labor party was so rubbish.

At one point I was thinking of voting for Alan Grayson for Congress. Then there was the whole thing with the "Taliban Dan" ad he ran, in which he completely twisted the words of Daniel Webster and was exposed for that. Now he is running this ad below....it's inspired by "The Sopranos"....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OrEx0WomUg[/youtube]

I'm ticked off at the statement "Webster tried to sell Florida highways to foreigners from the Middle East"...i.e. muslims are evil and Webster wants to sell them our infrastructure.

I think there was a bill which he voted for that would allow foreign companies to bid on highways. From what I know, there were no takers. However, i've read about how foreign companies own other roads in America. Like companies from Australia or Spain.

this time around yes, normally no but their leader thinks that they should be included in the leader debate between the two major parties despite fuck all support
The role of the news media isn't to maintain the status quo. At least it shouldn't be. Ideally, they should be there to convey ideas, facts and opinions. How are the greens ever going to grow if they're excluded by the media, and in effect seen not as a proper party by the electorate?

If they can bump the parliament either way, you can't rule without them. That's a fact, and a rule of nature in the Westminster System, it's impossible to get away from it. Doesn't matter if you have enough wood to build your house if the other guy has all the nails.

Because after being ignore for so long they suddenly think everyone thinks they're awesome when in reality many voted for them becasue the liberal and labor party was so rubbish.
Most people vote because the alternative is (in their opinion) worse. Few people are very excited about politicians.

When people resort to the greens you know things are bad.

BBC News - Grounded Royal Navy nuclear sub dragged free
The boat was on pre-commissioning trials in the narrow waters off the Isle of Skye, when it grounded at the top of the tide on a sandbar. The boat had RN officers and ratings plus contractors and was travelling slowly, but outside of the safe channel lane and got stuck for ten hours.

HMS Astute will be commissioned in mid-2011 and cost ?1 billion.

To add to the embarrassment, it was later towed off just after 18:00 by a Coast Guard ocean going salvage tug.

Ooops! :blush:

Here is hoping that Kamala Harris does not get elected as California Attorney General.