Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

I wonder what kind of trouble the Captain of that sub is in. I don't see a plank on that sub, so do they just launch him out of the torpedo tube?

Got one for you: The BBC Cuts were to enable it to run the World Service without an increase in the licence fee. Govt used to fund that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11583889

"But as the BBC does not seem to have been given any compensating funds to pay for the World Service, this decision raises huge questions about the future."

Last edited:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/easternapproaches/2010/10/romanias_hopeless_politics

So everyone around us is talking about how clueless the people running this place actually are, but, of course, being clueless, they don't have a clue towards the fact that they are clueless. They all see themselves as the best experts and the only ones that can run this country properly. Yes, you are able run this country properly... INTO THE GROUND.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/easternapproaches/2010/10/romanias_hopeless_politics

So everyone around us is talking about how clueless the people running this place actually are, but, of course, being clueless, they don't have a clue towards the fact that they are clueless. They all see themselves as the best experts and the only ones that can run this country properly. Yes, you are able run this country properly... INTO THE GROUND.

You just described half our politicians and 2/3s of the tea party.

You just described half our politicians and 2/3s of the tea party.

And about 150% of this country's politicians and the 5 million people who supposedly voted for the incumbent president.

Who, incidentally, seems to have given several speeches/public appearances under heavy influence from a certain quantity of CH3-CH2-OH.

Last edited:
Nothing like an old EastBlock leader that's an alcoholic.

BBC News - Grounded Royal Navy nuclear sub dragged free
The boat was on pre-commissioning trials in the narrow waters off the Isle of Skye, when it grounded at the top of the tide on a sandbar. The boat had RN officers and ratings plus contractors and was travelling slowly, but outside of the safe channel lane and got stuck for ten hours.

HMS Astute will be commissioned in mid-2011 and cost ?1 billion.

To add to the embarrassment, it was later towed off just after 18:00 by a Coast Guard ocean going salvage tug.

Ooops! :blush:

A Coast Guard ocean-going salvage tug the current Government plan to abolish in their spending cuts, please note.

I wonder what kind of trouble the Captain of that sub is in. I don't see a plank on that sub, so do they just launch him out of the torpedo tube?

Unless it was some technical fault, I should think his sub driving days are over.

No, he'll be shot out of one of the rocket launch tubes. Preferably riding a rocket.

Reminds me of the film Dr. Strangelove, Slim Pickens riding the bomb down at the end of the film.
Yeeeeee-Haaaaaaa! :lol:

A Coast Guard ocean-going salvage tug the current Government plan to abolish in their spending cuts, please note.

Sad but true, the sister tug at Dover is crewed by contract Dutchies, I wonder if the this one was as well.
:)

It's sad to see the Royal Navy in the state it is today.

As a history buff, I've got a lot of love for the Royal Navy. A navy is really great to have. To have a great one is just perfect.

You would think with the UK being an island nation that the Navy would be the last to get platforms cut. Cut the army, the airforce, but not the navy. If something big goes down it will be the navy that will protect the nation. If you do not want to get into wars overseas, fine, but do not cut the navy.

Perhaps, but the role of a Coast Guard is more that of a force to police the waters. They usually are a form of police force within the armed forces.

Ooh, submarines. Very useful against ships or cities, like the french or Paris. Likelyhood of french attacks? Z?-ro.

That, and the fact that Britian and France have been pretty staunch allies in that respect since 1914. The EEC-cough-up between de Gaulle and MacMillan doesn't enter into it, and the French withdrawing from SACEUR's command really isn't that big a deal in it either. Just de Gaulle having a sillyman stance on the 'Special relationship'.

Don't worry, America will save you.

We'll hold the North Flank. We have fighters and modern frigatts. Just send over cags of Best Bitter and a few barrels of Caol Ila!

Don't worry, America will save you.
A la 1939 I suppose (A certain JP Kennedy became Ambassador - well know for his pro Nazi and anti British views)?

I think that not one American life would be lost on our behalf - special relationship - my arse!