Show us your knives

Looks nice. How do you like it so far?

Looks nice. How do you like it so far?
Love everything about it... perfect size, great feel all-around, buttery smooth, etc. :D

I got it on sale for ~$90 delivered, which is more than I thought I'd ever spend on a knife, but it is worth every penny.

Last edited:
Well, shit.

A week ago I got these:

And today I noticed that they both have rust spots in the blade.
Come on, I know my sweat is really corrosive, but the much cheaper Smith&Wesson I used to carry has completely rusted the bolts on the handle while the blade is spotless!
Spyderco not as good as advertised? Bad batch? What do you guys think?

Dunno if this counts.

rjiphh.jpg

Made the mould and cast it myself. It's made of CGI, compact graphite iron.

Sure does!
Nice!

I?ve been waiting for a blacksmith course that should happen later this year. Must be cool to make your own knives. :D

Well, shit.

A week ago I got these:

And today I noticed that they both have rust spots in the blade.
Come on, I know my sweat is really corrosive, but the much cheaper Smith&Wesson I used to carry has completely rusted the bolts on the handle while the blade is spotless!
Spyderco not as good as advertised? Bad batch? What do you guys think?
Are the blades steel or stainless steel? Big issue with stainless is iron contamination, it may just be small spots of iron on the blade surface that have rusted. Is it 'in' the surface or a fine piece on top? You might be able to just polish it off.

Current collection of knives, including my favorite kitchen knife (ceramic) at the moment.
Just above the Swiss Army Knife is my very first knife, circa 1980.
knives.jpg

Are the blades steel or stainless steel? Big issue with stainless is iron contamination, it may just be small spots of iron on the blade surface that have rusted. Is it 'in' the surface or a fine piece on top? You might be able to just polish it off.

I heard back from the store and the guy was very helpful and explained me the differences between the steel used in both the Spyderco and the S&W. It?s just superficial and it?s just the way the steel used in the Spyderco is, so it just means I will have to taker better care of it.

Current collection of knives, including my favorite kitchen knife (ceramic) at the moment.
Just above the Swiss Army Knife is my very first knife, circa 1980.
View attachment 5726

Nice collection! :thumbsup:

I heard back from the store and the guy was very helpful and explained me the differences between the steel used in both the Spyderco and the S&W. It?s just superficial and it?s just the way the steel used in the Spyderco is, so it just means I will have to taker better care of it.

What sort of steel is in the spyderco knives?

Something called 8Cr13MoV :dunno:

Something called 8Cr13MoV :dunno:
Hehe, which is a stainless steel blade. This stainless is made in china, 0.8% Carbon, 12 % Chromium with some Moly and Vanadium thrown in. This is a high carbon stainless steel, and will show surface rust if not treated correctly. Just a good clean after use and a light oil if you're so inclined.

Hehe, which is a stainless steel blade. This stainless is made in china, 0.8% Carbon, 12 % Chromium with some Moly and Vanadium thrown in. This is a high carbon stainless steel, and will show surface rust if not treated correctly. Just a good clean after use and a light oil if you're so inclined.

Yeah, after replying I did some research and found out more about it.
Well, I[ ll just have to change my habits, altought cleaning a micro knife that is always in my keychain will be a PITA! :lol:

Yeah, after replying I did some research and found out more about it.
Well, I[ ll just have to change my habits, altought cleaning a micro knife that is always in my keychain will be a PITA! :lol:

I think just wiping the blade after each usage and oiling it from time to time should suffice.
I've got a Spyderco Grasshopper myself, which I carry as a secondary blade from time to time. It's an excellent blade for the money, if you take care of it.

Tesco are giving vouchers for every ?20 spent to get discounts on a range of knives. I bought this one yesterday for ?4.49 instead of ?15.

noz127.png

Very pleased with it.

I want a sting. How much did that set you back? How's the quality of it?

I can't remember how much it cost, I bought it in 2002. The quality is good. It is one of the official replicas made by United Cutlery. It came with a wooden wall plaque for mounting it and the scabbard was sold separately. I imagine it will be re-released when the first part of The Hobbit comes out. I look forward to getting a good look at Orcrist then too.