Ownership Verified: Sik-Ponys '08 VW GLI Project

all marketing for brake pads claim things like he described.. and most people who recommend one pad or another have no real performance experience. For example.. I'm rather tired of people who say that EBC Greenstuff or Mintex Redbox perform well. Those pads may work for them.. but they're also not giving a very well rounded opinion given their limited experience.

I'm not saying the Carbotechs don't work well... I know people that use them. I just found the recommendation and description funny :D

do you have a preferred pad/rotor upgrade you can advise on?

I've already discussed what I've used a couple of times in this thread :D

as an addendum though.. the StopTech pads are definitely only for occasional track use. Honestly.. they've worked great. I'm still outbraking many cars. I just have to be more careful about the pads overheating than some other people do. I'll probably switch to a more dedicated track pad on the front brakes later this year, but I continue to absolutely love my current pads for every other use.. couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
I've already discussed what I've used a couple of times in this thread :D

as an addendum though.. the StopTech pads are definitely only for occasional track use. Honestly.. they've worked great. I'm still outbraking many cars. I just have to be more careful about the pads overheating than some other people do. I'll probably switch to a more dedicated track pad on the front brakes later this year, but I continue to absolutely love my current pads for every other use.. couldn't be happier.

I have just found out that braking at highway speeds is a bit sketchy. Car wandered alot on hard braking from 85mph to about 65. that suspension may need to be sooner than later.

I have just found out that braking at highway speeds is a bit sketchy. Car wandered alot on hard braking from 85mph to about 65. that suspension may need to be sooner than later.

I can't even remember what it was like to push my car with the stock suspension. I've had my Koni's on the car 1.5 months after I bought it.

Great looking car!

I can't even remember what it was like to push my car with the stock suspension. I've had my Koni's on the car 1.5 months after I bought it.

Actrually, very unimpressed when it happened but it hasnt happend since so not a big deal. just makes me really wanna do the upgrade now

Great looking car!

Thanx Big Guy!

Leaving the house today with the plan to get the navigation done. pictures to follow if that happens. Edit: Didnt happen, cant find the deal i want :(

Last edited:
so,l an update because i havnt been on here in a while.

Took the advice that was given before and put in the motor mount bushing, massive difference. also added an Audi TT short shifter. As far aas the cosmetics, blacked out everything but the headlights so far. trying to keep it legal. ill have pictures eventually. to lazy today

Some pictures:

Blacked out GLI logo along with the Black VW. My goal here is to go matte black on the entire grill
e200502b.jpg

Same here
56c19c02.jpg

1aa176cc.jpg

I think it looks great!
a4282d30.jpg

So, here is the weekend project! Been so busy the last few months so im glad to finally be able to work on the cars!

How about a 2" drop

photo_zps3f5d0153.jpg

These are -V-Maxx XXtreme Damping Coilover. I believe they are made here in Tampa but i dont think that matters. Currently finished the rears and ill do the front tomorrow. Pics when im done!

Hopefully by next weekend ill be installing a new intake and the APR stage 1 comp upgrade.

So, all done! Here is a picture from my phone i just took. Have better pics up soon, im going to have it cleaned tomorrow and then have the ride hight adjusted better. i just couldnt get it even but there is a guy in Tampa that will knock it out for me. Intake will be next week sometime.

GLISlammed_zps7a8e7050.jpg

So, now all black on the car is Matte Black, looks great. Trying to find a good shop that will repaint the car, im going to go about 3 shades darker on the red. should look good!

Now, i need advice

so, after the car sat for about 6 months i came home and started driving again. Went all the way up through NY State and back to florida as well as a trip to NC and back. in the last 3 months i have done about 6000 miles. One thing i noticed since i got home from the 6 months is, with the car on new suspension, there is a bang when i hit a bump (LR). The Vmaxx guy is a friend and he looked at it. We replaced the spring and it still happens, there is no sign that the shock is bad and i cant seem to find where its banging under the car. Anyone know about why this may be happening? Yes, when i first lowered the car there was no noise and yes, i set the springs as low as possible but before the trip i raised it up because of the banging. Also, with the shocks on the softest setting, it wont bang as much.

Last edited:
Don't know exactly, but one thing to take into consideration is that the source of the bang could be in a very different place than where you hear it from. I've experienced similar banging coming from the front left and the source was really in the rear right. Can't remember what was wrong, something related to the chassis, but apparently bangs echo in the car frame quite well.

I was figuring that. There is a mark (rubbed off) inside the wheel well there but with a load on it doesn't look like anything makes contact there. It's puzzling us

You're in Casselberry for school? I'll have to keep an eye out for that car. I work in Altamonte.