The Cheap Beer Thread

There are some decent domestics, but none come from any macros.

Most of the kids around here drink Keystone and Bud Light. But every once and a while they'll have one of those Heineken mini kegs, which is not bad especially with junk food like pizza. I did have a Red Dog recently (do they even still make that?) Now that is a shit beer unparalleled. If Corn had bowels and a digestive system and could take a wee, that is what Red Dog tastes like.

You just have to accept the majority of college kids don't know anything about alcohol. Their liquor world is Smirnoff Ice, Bud light, and beer pong. And it's because they're not about the booze they're about the end result.

You just have to accept the majority of college kids don't know anything about alcohol. Their liquor world is Smirnoff Ice, Bud light, and beer pong. And it's because they're not about the booze they're about the end result.
Sad part is, that's true. We're not exactly in a financial state to enjoy Westvleteren Blonde straight from Belgium - or hell, any of the beers listed in the Real Beers thread. As long as it gets you shitfaced and makes you look sexy to the ladies is fine by anyone's standards. But at least most of them can all agree on one thing: Red Dog is death incarnate.

Sad part is, that's true. We're not exactly in a financial state to enjoy Westvleteren Blonde straight from Belgium - or hell, any of the beers listed in the Real Beers thread. As long as it gets you shitfaced and makes you look sexy to the ladies is fine by anyone's standards. But at least most of them can all agree on one thing: Red Dog is death incarnate.

I try to reserve about $20-ish per month to go to the mix-a-six and by weird beers. I lucked out these last 2 months cause we got a Yuengling and Sam Adams samplers. Not really bad stuff, but different stuff thats somewhat interesting.

In Australia, there are some OK cheap beers, there are some awful ones too.

The worst cheap beers available in Australia right now would be Hammer'n'Tongs ($25/slab from Liquorland), West End Draught and anything sold by Aldi (in Hell, they serve warm Schloss). These are right up there with Australia's all time worst cheap beers: the crap that Geelong Brewery used to make before they changed their name, and Blacksmith Bitter.

As for half-decent cheap beers, I'm quite partial to Amsterdam Mariner:
Amsterdam_Mariner.gif

and Konig Pilsner:
4026.jpg

right now. Konig isn't THAT cheap at $40/slab, but it tastes like it should cost more like $55-$60 a slab, so it's not so much cheap beer as value for money beer. :) If you can pick up Maes or Uberbrau for < $35 a slab, you're doing well too.

I feel really bad for you guys. The average beer I can buy for a normal price (60-70 Euro cents per bottle + .08 Euros dunno... collateral for the bottle?) is as good as it gets most of the time. There are specialties for 1 Euro per bottle, but that is up to each owns taste.

I expressed my love for the Bavarian Beer in General a lot in here, and recently I found that you can't argue with a 20er case of Becks on sale for a tenner, nor a delicious specialty of the region, Bischofshof or Weltenburger for 12fifty or the ever so good Augustiner for 13fifty.
Its about time that the holiday start, whichmeans dreary times working at my doctorate, but also enjoy beer every evening without thehassle of getting up the next day knowing Patients are waiting... Peace out...

pabst_1.jpg

Its pretty terrible. But I've drank it as a cheap beer solution for quite some time.

And then this isn't that expensive either

yuenglingbeer2.jpg

I feel really bad for you guys. The average beer I can buy for a normal price (60-70 Euro cents per bottle + .08 Euros dunno... collateral for the bottle?) is as good as it gets most of the time. There are specialties for 1 Euro per bottle, but that is up to each owns taste.

That's because you live in Bavaria...the Mecca of beer lovers, more or less. <_<

I've decided to stave off death long enough to be able to visit there. See the BMW factory, catch a Rammstein show, and become a connoisseur of good beer and see that my ex-gf's father taught me all those years ago.

Yeah, you should! Keep off the main roads, and you'll encounter great driving roads, keep to lacal beers and you'll be hella drunk.

Since you are Asian, how much can you drink, Beerwise? Prepare to be 20% more drunk on the same amount of beer...

Yeah, you should! Keep off the main roads, and you'll encounter great driving roads, keep to lacal beers and you'll be hella drunk.

Since you are Asian, how much can you drink, Beerwise? Prepare to be 20% more drunk on the same amount of beer...

Our noble race may have garnered a reputation for being lightweights, or "two-beer queers", but unlike the rest of my species I can actually hold my own pretty well. I still manage to maintain composure and remember things after 6 or so beers over the course of a night. (I kinda have to, I'm in a fraternity. :D)

That's more than I can say for my dad, who gets the "Asian glow" if he even looks at a bottle of beer. It's cute. :happy:

pabst_1.jpg

Its pretty terrible. But I've drank it as a cheap beer solution for quite some time.

And then this isn't that expensive either

yuenglingbeer2.jpg

Pabst is shit, but if its there people will drink it. :lol:

Yuengling is my beer of choice right now. Its not exactly cheap, but I love it.

Yuengling makes a beer called Lord Chesterfield's Ale. I almost vomited the second it hit my lips.

Dude, Yuengling and hot wings.. good Lord.

:drool:

I expressed my love for the Bavarian Beer in General a lot in here, and recently I found that you can't argue with a 20er case of Becks on sale for a tenner, nor a delicious specialty of the region, Bischofshof or Weltenburger for 12fifty or the ever so good Augustiner for 13fifty.
Its about time that the holiday start, whichmeans dreary times working at my doctorate, but also enjoy beer every evening without thehassle of getting up the next day knowing Patients are waiting... Peace out...

+1 there!

I'm happy to live in beer paradise near Lake Constance with 2 of the finest local brands of beer you can possibly imagine. Farny and Meckatzer, these two are as good as beer can possibly get, and with 15? per 20 bottle case it's also about the most expensive beer you can get in a supermarket here, but it's worth every penny.
Everyone here buys that two brands, even normal teenagers/young adults don't drink something else, because it can't get better. Both brands have got around 5.4% and have got a beer to every taste (normal beer, kristallweizen (speciality by Farny), dark/bright hefeweizen, pils or bock beer with 8%, if you want a real head banger).

I'm glad I saw this thread again.

Over the holidays, I had bottle of Edmund Fitzgerald Porter from Great Lakes Brewing Co. It was probably the best glass of beer I've ever had. Granted, I'm under 21 so I have to rely on my alcoholic family to provide me with booze to try, so I don't have as wide of a spectrum to compare as some of yous. Even so, it was very smooth and drinkable, kinda chocolaty. And the best part it runs about $9.00 a six-pack, that's Heineken money. I am told it's only available in the Great Lake region though. So the west coast can suck it.

That's more than I can say for my dad, who gets the "Asian glow" if he even looks at a bottle of beer. It's cute. :happy:
Heh, glad to hear you hold your own BlaRo. All of the Asians I know are "2 beer queers". Me personally, I come from a long line of functioning Irish and German alcoholics, and am cursed with spending far too much if I want to get drunk <_<. Just tonight, I drank two 23oz drafts of Coors Light with 15 wings. Delicious dinner, but it put my friends (most of whom only had one beer) to sleep.

Heh, glad to hear you hold your own BlaRo. All of the Asians I know are "2 beer queers". Me personally, I come from a long line of functioning Irish and German alcoholics, and am cursed with spending far too much if I want to get drunk <_<. Just tonight, I drank two 23oz drafts of Coors Light with 15 wings. Delicious dinner, but it put my friends (most of whom only had one beer) to sleep.

Held my own tonight, but bought a 12-pack of Saranac Winter Collection. It wasn't as smooth as the Sam Adams collection I had experienced, but I really enjoyed it and loved the chocolate (which I got a nice chance to experience anyway seeing as I'm terrible at pong). It was fairly cheap too at $13.89.

And on the other spectrum, I was thoroughly disgusted by Red Stripe. It's beer! Shit beer! Boo shitty beer! It was not only watered-down but bitter, and that novelty Chinese mouthwash bottle was neat for only the first 5 seconds before I was threatened to have it stabbed into my throat in broken form (jokingly, of course, but that's not something u can say for a can of Bud). :yucky:

Sweet mother of god I hope you're joking

Also you guys have no idea about bad beer until you've tasted beer brewed in Nigeria

Alcohol content - varies by bottle
Dirt - check
Different flavour in every bottle - check

on the plus they come in 600 to 700ml bottles

Last edited:
Carlton_Draught_Large.jpg

[YOUTUBE]Mv5U0W8FDDk[/YOUTUBE]

Plus you get a question on each bottle cap, which is always I bit of fun. I'm fully of useless trivia now.

Edit: not neccessally cheap tho, that being said it ain't exactly expensive.