The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Just passing this on - seems that hondaparts-direct.com has permanently shut down.

I got a mail from my honda parts shop that the online parts catalog and their diagrams have been taken down by Honda because it infringes on their copyright.

Honda just wants everyone to buy from the AD and doesn't want people snooping around their parts.

Just passing this on - seems that hondaparts-direct.com has permanently shut down.

That's the bad news. The good news is that http://www.beaverdamhondakawasaki.com/ seems to have Honda parts cheaper than Service Honda (for one, the shipping is a lot cheaper.) Thought this might help someone.

College Bike Shop is still open. So is Western Hills Honda (and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head).

Though they're all the same. CBS charges even less than HPD did, but they all overcharge for shipping at flat rates.

I got a mail from my honda parts shop that the online parts catalog and their diagrams have been taken down by Honda because it infringes on their copyright.

Honda just wants everyone to buy from the AD and doesn't want people snooping around their parts.

Actually, all the ones I've mentioned so far are actual Honda authorized dealers, so that's more or less a non-issue in this case. Almost all of them still have their online parts catalog and diagrams still up.

HP-D was a Texas dealer that (apparently) had financial problems and went bankrupt.

College Bike Shop is still open. So is Western Hills Honda (and a few others I can't remember off the top of my head).

Though they're all the same. CBS charges even less than HPD did, but they all overcharge for shipping at flat rates.

Well, I decided to order something from Beaver Dam Honda - it seems they're hoarding a lot of Pacific Coast parts for some reason and my local dealer couldn't get it for any cheaper, plus I'd have to pay tax. They just shipped me a 10 pound fairing subframe for $12 (from WI to TX), so they don't suck.

Actually recently I saw a midget riding a monkey.

Wasn't the first time either.

Call me insensitive, but damn it was funny. And the first guy I saw was on a kids mini dirt-bike, those things can hammer off the line.

I have ridden those mini things (called pocketbikes here) and it was the single most painful experience of my life. They're awesome for acceleration though, but I quickly ran out of talent in the corners.

Sliding 20m on your back while the little bike goes front wheel - bounce - back wheel - bounce - your helmet - bounce - etc FTL

I have ridden those mini things (called pocketbikes here) and it was the single most painful experience of my life. They're awesome for acceleration though, but I quickly ran out of talent in the corners.

Sliding 20m on your back while the little bike goes front wheel - bounce - back wheel - bounce - your helmet - bounce - etc FTL

Ah not a pocket bike. Not quite that small. You know those dirk bikes that are for kids, maybe between 50cc and 125cc, somewhere between pocket bike and full-size.

Monkey...

fuel_injected_monkey_home.jpg

And something like this, kinda...

125cc%20Pro%20AMPD.jpg

God i still love motorbikes..

My bike is now my sole source of transport. Anyone done seat patching on-the-cheap? I have a few little scratches in my seat that I could probably fix with a polish/etc of some kind but I'm not sure what to look for.

My bike is now my sole source of transport. Anyone done seat patching on-the-cheap? I have a few little scratches in my seat that I could probably fix with a polish/etc of some kind but I'm not sure what to look for.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2009/11/12/gorilla-tape-duct-tape.jpg

Look around your area. When I had to recover a moto seat I found a guy who not only recovered it with fresh material, but put on new foam and shaved it to fit my ass. Total: $100.

There's also a seat re-covering kit or twelve around - they're about $40 or so over here.

You sold the Miata?

Nooooo never. Out of work, and without constant income I cannot afford insurance on the Miata. Prepped and stored it, now it's in storage until I can find a job.

You can do vinyl repair - stuff like this: http://www.magicmender.com// There...r kit might be something to spend on. Thanks.

On my Yamaha back home I rode it for a whole year with a ripped up seat that was crudely fixed with duct tape. Over the winter I recovered it myself with a kit I got for about $50. Totally worth it. The bike looked so much better and was more comfortable. Plus the tape didn't stick to my rear every time I dismounted.

Most people stick to bog rolls for that problem, you just have to be different.

to be honest, i have once thought about whether to get a bike license. i like the idea of zipping through traffic during congestion. but i worry about cargo space.

i just got my car license today - which i consider by fluke, but i'm happy nonetheless.

Cargo space is usually not a problem if you have the right bike and use your head.

to be honest, i have once thought about whether to get a bike license. i like the idea of zipping through traffic during congestion. but i worry about cargo space.

i just got my car license today - which i consider by fluke, but i'm happy nonetheless.

Be honest, how often do you carry more than a backpack full of stuff in your car? I don't mean the accumulated crap that most people "store" in their cars, I mean stuff you actually need. Get a backpack and a tank bag and you will be able to do 90% of your travel with no problem. Still short on space? Add some side bags and a top box; combined with a good sized tank bag you have almost as much storage as a small car.

Yeah, don't worry about the cargo space. There are plenty of ways to increase it, and honestly, you can carry some interesting things on the bike (just remember to bring extra bungee cords). I've carried Vietnamese take-out for two that was stacked up to my shoulder, and the little bike did fine (I just got weird looks from the cars in traffic :lol:).

The other thing to remember is to get good gear - it's definitely worth! :)

Last edited: