The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

And the people who started on big-bore bikes usually end up being slower and less confident for much longer than someone who starts on a smaller, more forgiving bike and working his way up.

EDIT:
What about an SV-650? It doesn't have the range of a dedicated ST bike, but it's a good all-around machine that is forgiving but can be modded for track use. It's the jack of all trades, but master of none - making it a good all-around bike and plenty good for a tall beginner who needs more than an EX250.

Last edited:
To clarify. I was trying to say that a 600cc bike was a lot to handle, not recommending he get that bike.

What about an EX500? They are cheaper than dirt these days.

Speaking of the EX500, I recently bought a 1999 EX500 D (AKA GPZ 500S here). I did have a scooter before, but this is my first real bike. The weight felt a little daunting on the first ride but I got used to it very quickly. In my opinion it's an excellent first bike. :D

It's intake restricted to 25kW/33HP (the most i can have with my licence for 2 years), but it's still fast enough to have lots of fun. My only complaint is that the mirrors are crap.

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/si/sickguy/2011/05/12/03052011600.jpg
https://pic.armedcats.net/s/si/sickguy/2011/05/12/07052011601_001.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/s/si/sickguy/2011/05/12/07052011608.jpg

Thanks for the concern guys, but I decided to go through with it. I'll see how it plays. I'm slow anyway, ask D-Fence. :p

Thanks for the concern guys, but I decided to go through with it. I'll see how it plays. I'm slow anyway, ask D-Fence. :p

They look like great bikes, yet another Honda we don't get here :)mad:) that fits into the UJM class. One last word of advice. Take your time working your way up with it. Going full power on a liter class bike is not something you can do just anywhere. I liken it to Jeremy's comments on the Veyron. "You can't just put your foot down in this thing whenever the mood takes you, unlike any other car you have to prepare for it, you have to think, is there another car within a mile of me, is the road smooth, is it straight, and only if you get a yes to all of those can you really give it the beans."

Ok, enough being grown up. Have fun. :D

They look like great bikes
The styling is not that great (or it is great), because it's fairly conservative. But I like it. And on the plus side: analog dials that are actually readable in the sunlight.

UJM class.
The what class?

One last word of advice. Take your time working your way up with it.
Thanks, I plan to do exactly that. And I'm confident that I'm enough of a grown-up to actually do so. One (of the many :D) good thing about the bike is, although it is pretty powerful, the throttle response is actually quite, how do I put it, unhurried. So the danger of throwing it out of a curve by opening up a degree too much is rather limited. I'll be careful, though.

Now I have to wait for the dealer to do the 6000 km inspection + T?V and the side cases to arrive so they can be mounted. I hope I'll get the bike next week. They have they hands full of work, it seems.

The what class?

UJM = Universal Japanese Motorcycle

wikipedia said:
Universal Japanese Motorcycle, or UJM, is a loose term for a Japanese standard motorcycle type admired for their simplicity, quality, and versatility, made mainly from the late 1960s and through the late 1970s, and somewhat less so since. The nadir of standard motorcycles in the 1990s fueled a nostalgia for UJM style machines, and led to the reintroduction of new models on similar lines, from both Japan and other countries, sometimes going by new names like naked bike or muscle bike.

So, stuff like this:
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2011/05/12/1969CB750.jpg

and this:
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2011/05/12/cb700_nighthawk.jpg

and this:
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2011/05/12/2002-honda-919.jpg

Anything that is designed to be a general use (non sportbike) with an upright riding position is a UJM. The CBF1000 is just a UJM with a fairing.

Yeah, Dan, no offense, but I'm betting you're going to be getting a nasty surprise with the power of that 1000 as a starter. Hope I'm wrong, but I'm afraid I won't be.

Do try to keep in mind that the throttle is not the universal answer to problems on the road. That's the number one problem I see with people starting out on powerful motorcycles as starter bikes, they 'learn' that the answer to all scenarios is more throttle.

The throttle can be the answer more often than not, but when it's not, it actually makes the situation worse. Often, much, much worse.

UJM = Universal Japanese Motorcycle

So, stuff like this:
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2011/05/12/1969CB750.jpg

and this:
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2011/05/12/cb700_nighthawk.jpg

and this:
https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2011/05/12/2002-honda-919.jpg

Anything that is designed to be a general use (non sportbike) with an upright riding position is a UJM. The CBF1000 is just a UJM with a fairing.

:lol: Excellent examples - especially since I own two out of the three and used to own the third.

Last edited:
That's the sort of bike I would like to get but they're a pain to find around here, everyone has either a huge cruiser bike or a crotch rocket for sale.

Congrats on the purchase and good luck! One thing I thought helped as a beginner (or hell, even now) is to relax and remember to loosen those arms. Imagine if you were holding baby birds in your palms when you're on the bike. :)

Thanks, I plan to do exactly that. And I'm confident that I'm enough of a grown-up to actually do so.

Not trying to imply that you aren't, but keep in mind that that's what everyone thinks of themselves. Just be careful, and more importantly, stay careful. Imo, it's not so dangerous right when you start, but once you're somewhat familiar and at ease with it.
Still, I hope it'll work out for you. :)

Not trying to imply that you aren't, but keep in mind that that's what everyone thinks of themselves. Just be careful, and more importantly, stay careful. Imo, it's not so dangerous right when you start, but once you're somewhat familiar and at ease with it.
Still, I hope it'll work out for you. :)

Yup, this. Familiarity breeds, not exactly contempt, but a comfortable sense of control on these bikes for newbies. And then it bites you, 9 times out of 10.

You guys probably have no idea how many times I've heard the "I'll get a big bike and just be careful about it" in my life, only to hear that the bike got wrapped around a tree or light stanchion, etc., etc., about four to six months later.

Also, ALL newbies crash, drop or dump their bikes in the first six months of regular riding or equivalent. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or hasn't really ridden six months worth yet. Make sure you put engine guards (not just sliders, real engine guards, perhaps in addition to higher mounted sliders) to prevent expensive damage to that CBF1000.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation of UJM. Quite fitting, but somewhat funny to include a country name in that... he said and looked at his collection of German boardgames.

Imagine if you were holding baby birds in your palms when you're on the bike. :)
You mean I should crush the handles? *ducks* ;)

Problem with relaxing is that I automatically shrink to about half my size due to buckling my back when I do that. That I have to work on... on a bike and actually, whenever I'm not lying down.

Also, ALL newbies crash, drop or dump their bikes in the first six months of regular riding or equivalent. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or hasn't really ridden six months worth yet. Make sure you put engine guards (not just sliders, real engine guards, perhaps in addition to higher mounted sliders) to prevent expensive damage to that CBF1000.

That is so true - before I dropped my bike, I used to think ahh, it'll never happen to me. Um yeah no - motos with two wheels are made to be dropped, hence, I dress for the crash in addition for the ride. Plus, knowing that your bike is going to track only in the future helps.

And, speaking of guards, our friend has this sweet tank guard for his racebike (in addition to other schweet goodies). :drool:

img_2467.jpg

You mean I should crush the handles? *ducks* ;)

Problem with relaxing is that I automatically shrink to about half my size due to buckling my back when I do that. That I have to work on... on a bike and actually, whenever I'm not lying down.

Yeah, one of the things you want to watch out for is to have loose arms and never a death grip on the handlebars (use core muscles to help you out). It's easier said than done, but we all try to be conscious of it.

Okay, I'll stop with the Yoda'ing - just trying to think of what tips helped most when I started out. :lol:

Oh I forget, did you have a chance to get all your gear already? I can't remember who it was earlier in the thread who was looking at getting gear...

Yeah, I want a tank guard like that for the 919 (not least of all because it will hide the dents in the tank...) - one company was developing some but it appears to have stopped for some reason.

Oh I forget, did you have a chance to get all your gear already? I can't remember who it was earlier in the thread who was looking at getting gear...
I have gotten all I need even before I started the driving lessons. All I still need is a new jacket because the one I use now belongs to my brother and doesn't fit perfectly. Which is annoying at Autobahn speeds.

Oh awesome - it was you then. Yay, you're pretty much all set then! :D

Holy shit this thing's cool. Transforming unicycle/motorcycle (technically trike, three wheels), electric-powered, developed by a 17-year old kid and awarded a $1.7-million grant in 2007 and one of Popular Science's 10 Inventions of the Year.

http://bpg-motors.com/

No sir, I don't like it.

Kiki said:
Imagine if you were holding baby birds in your palms when you're on the bike. :)
:lol: That's exactly how I'm going to think of that from now on.

Personally I have a weird habit of clamping down on the grips (to the point that, over time, they twist on the bars) while being able to keep my arms loose. It's a decade old habit from racing BMX, but it's not necessary on a motorcycle (hell it's not necessary on a 18lb bicycle either).

So from now on I'll think of little ducklings, or kittens, or bunnies, or whatever in my hands when I ride.

Holy shit this thing's cool. Transforming unicycle/motorcycle (technically trike, three wheels), electric-powered, developed by a 17-year old kid and awarded a $1.7-million grant in 2007 and one of Popular Science's 10 Inventions of the Year.
It's a pretty neat little ride. But I think they're going to have a hard time winning over customers from gas scooters if they're asking 5-7 grand for one of those.

Last edited: