The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

HJC is a good but not too expensive helmet brand if you don't want to spend too much money in the beginning.

On an unrelated note, how hard is it to get the forks out without taking out the front wheel etc.? I just need to get them out so I can slip new fork boots over, so I don't want to take everything apart. I read that somebody on an XT forum claimed that it's as easy as unbolting the upper and lower brackets, and simply pulling the forks down and out. But I'm not sure, would it really be that easy?

Last edited:
I had some of those and I was not impressed. This year I'm hoping to import some Red Route ultimate rider jeans.

On an unrelated note, how hard is it to get the forks out without taking out the front wheel etc.? I just need to get them out so I can slip new fork boots over, so I don't want to take everything apart. I read that somebody on an XT forum claimed that it's as easy as unbolting the upper and lower brackets, and simply pulling the forks down and out. But I'm not sure, would it really be that easy?

Depends on the bike. On my Hondas, you have to remove or disconnect one or more parts of the brake system before you can do that - but that's still essentially it. Also, get a shop manual as the torque values for the fork pinch bolts are critical.

As for gear, there's also Icon, Teknic, First Gear, Hein Gericke, Aerostitch, Fieldsheer, Joe Rocket, AGV, Cortech/Tour Master, Sidi and TCX for the well regarded brands list. Some more than others, but these are regarded as producing at least decent gear.

Awesome. Riding gear wise what are the good brands to keep an eye out for?

HJC is a good but not too expensive helmet brand if you don't want to spend too much money in the beginning.

I've owned an HJC CL-15 (redesigned version is now sold as the CL-16) for quite a while now, not a bad lid at all. However I did recently get to try on a Scorpion EXO-400 (which retails for about the same as the HJC) and I must say it is definitely better IMHO. Style-wise, build-quality, and overall fitment. I was very impressed. Sportbiketrackgear.com has some of the Scorpion helmets on sale right now. You might want to check them out.

The HJC CL-16

2010-HJC-CL-16-Solid-Helmet-White.jpg

Te Scorpion EXO-400

2009_Scorpion_EXO-400_Solid_Helmet_White.gif

Last edited:
Depends on the bike. On my Hondas, you have to remove or disconnect one or more parts of the brake system before you can do that - but that's still essentially it. Also, get a shop manual as the torque values for the fork pinch bolts are critical.

Oh, I still have to put on the new brake line anyway, so I though I'd first pull the old one and only put the new one on after I got the forks done.
And yeah, I've already got myself a full factory service manual. ;)

I've owned an HJC CL-15 (redesigned version is now sold as the CL-16) for quite a while now, not a bad lid at all. However I did recently get to try on a Scorpion EXO-400 (which retails for about the same as the HJC) and I must say it is definitely better IMHO. Style-wise, build-quality, and overall fitment. I was very impressed. Sportbiketrackgear.com has some of the Scorpion helmets on sale right now. You might want to check them out.

The HJC CL-16

2010-HJC-CL-16-Solid-Helmet-White.jpg

Te Scorpion EXO-400

2009_Scorpion_EXO-400_Solid_Helmet_White.gif

IIRC, the EXO is Snell M2005, whereas the CL16 is Snell M2010. Also, according to WebBikeWorld, the EXO is very noisy on quarter or half-faired bikes and the vents plain old don't work.

Last edited:
IIRC, the EXO is Snell M2005, whereas the CL16 is Snell M2010. Also, according to WebBikeWorld, the EXO is very noisy on quarter or half-faired bikes.

Yea, but the EXO fits my oddly shaped head better than my HJC. I don't really ride fast enough for wind noise to be a problem , and if I do, I just throw in some earplugs.

That being said though, I would love to splurge on a Shoei something. But they're kinda pricey.

Last edited:
Yea, but the EXO fits my oddly shaped head better than my HJC. I don't really ride fast enough for wind noise to be a problem , and if I do, I just throw in some earplugs.

That being said though, I would love to splurge on a Shoei something. But they're kinda pricey.

I still like the CL-SP better than most others. And they're on closeout at current...

Yeah, I was cleaning my TZR today (Dave also switched the visor for me), and I'm pretty much due for a new helmet next year. I can't wait - the TZR doesn't have the best ventilation or aerodynamics, so hopefully we can find some RF-1100s on sale over winter.

Ok, going back to this... maybe I'm missing something and this is a stupid question, but how would I get the front elevated high enough to be able to pull the forks down and out of the clamps?

Assuming you don't have a worktable with a removable section: Put the bike on the centerstand, tie down the back so the front is as high as it can go, remove the front wheel. That will get you enough room to drop the forks out of most any bike. You have to remove the front wheel anyway; just make sure you only do one fork leg at a time to avoid getting the triple tree twisted.

Or you can do what I did and skyhook it.
IMG_8869.JPG

IMG_8859_001.jpg

I'm currently looking at a new helmet as well. I've got my eye on a Sparx Strike 3/4ths face in bobble-head 2XL, to replace the HJC CL-16 that I currently have that gives me terrific headaches when I ride for more than half an hour. That one's XL, and it's got pressure points above my temples.

Sparx_FC07_Strike_Helmets.jpg

Lowest price is about 70 bucks, I'll see if my local dealer has it in stock. I'm split between that and the awesome radiosity of the Z1R Ace Royal Transit:

2010-Z1R-Royale-Air-Ace-Transit.gif

134 bucks, I'll be trying that one on as well.

Those would look great when you're on the '76.

I personally prefer a full-face for safety, the most impacted zone of a helmet in a crash in the chin/face guard. That being said I really see the appeal of a 3/4 helmet when riding a classic (or classic style) motorcycle. I would almost certainly pick up a classic looking 3/4 if I had a scooter or something like a Triumph Scrambler.

Some of you may remember the picture of the girl that fell off the back of her friends bike wearing no protective gear . Her photo has been circulating the interwebs, for several years now, serving as a reminder for people to ride ATGATT.

Here's an update on her:

Last edited:
Maybe that video will help make my nephew see the light with riding gear.

Playing around with the new Flip cam (was borrowing one for rallyX) and using the Panavise suction mount as a helmet cam.
DSCF0959.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet video Bubs! Gotta love the nerve-wracking bridge-crossing.

In other news, I'm still searching for a replacement for the shadow.

The first candidate was an older Suzuki VX800. Basically Suzuki's competition to the Honda Nighthawk. 800cc V-Twin, water-cooled, shaft-drive, and upright (but not laid back) ergos.

Suzuki-1990-VX800.jpg

I found one in New Hampshire for cheap, the bike ran good but cosmetically, it was another story. The guy had mounted "flush-mount" style rear turn signals, on top of the tail section. Not to mention that, but the seller had lost the bikes stock brake-light. His solution? Buy a trailer tail-light at an auto-parts store, jam it in the tail section, and secure with duct tape.
I decided to pass on this one.

But I have now revised the list of possible replacements for the VT500 Here's whats on the list of contenders:

Fz6, SV650 (not the "S" model thx), Kawasaki 650r's, 98 and newer VFR's, honda 599's Connie 10's, st1100's hell, maybe even a KLR650 or DR650.

Budget: around $3k

I'm gonna go look at an FZ6 in NH on Friday.

Sweet video Bubs! Gotta love the nerve-wracking bridge-crossing.

In other news, I'm still searching for a replacement for the shadow.

The first candidate was an older Suzuki VX800. Basically Suzuki's competition to the Honda Nighthawk. 800cc V-Twin, water-cooled, shaft-drive, and upright (but not laid back) ergos.

Suzuki-1990-VX800.jpg

I found one in New Hampshire for cheap, the bike ran good but cosmetically, it was another story. The guy had mounted "flush-mount" style rear turn signals, on top of the tail section. Not to mention that, but the seller had lost the bikes stock brake-light. His solution? Buy a trailer tail-light at an auto-parts store, jam it in the tail section, and secure with duct tape.
I decided to pass on this one.

But I have now revised the list of possible replacements for the VT500 Here's whats on the list of contenders:

Fz6, SV650 (not the "S" model thx), Kawasaki 650r's, 98 and newer VFR's, honda 599's Connie 10's, st1100's hell, maybe even a KLR650 or DR650.

$3K can get you a 919 if you shop carefully.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/2338648889.html

Also, the VX800 was competition for the short-lived Shadow 800 and the earlier 750, not the Nighthawks. Suzuki just ran their standard GS models against the Nighthawk line.

Last edited:

https://pic.armedcats.net/c/cr/crazyjeeper/2011/05/09/99-vfr800-corbin-hiright.jpg

:D

EFI, gear driven cams, single sided swing arm. If it had shaft drive, it would be perfect. Should be easy to find a well cared for one as well since the VFR tended to be bought by older riders who didn't trash them.

The VX800 always looked like a neat ride to me, but I know nothing about it. Hopefully I can take one for a ride sometime. I know I'd take an FZ6 though, for the right price. Even if they're a little heavy for what they are. Can't go wrong with the SV650, even if it's not much faster than the KLR or the DR. Either of the enduros should have some appeal if you like a little offroad riding.

EFI, gear driven cams, single sided swing arm. If it had shaft drive, it would be perfect. Should be easy to find a well cared for one as well since the VFR tended to be bought by older riders who didn't trash them.
To each their own and all that, but I've got to offer a dissenting opinion on the VFR800. It's got all the good stuff from the RC36, plus a few unnecessary complications and additional weight. The '98-'01 model isn't bad and probably a good option if you're after a cruiser. But the '02 and later bikes just got heavier, swapped the gear-driven cams for VTEC, had ABS, emissions equipment, you name it.

Last edited: