The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe.

One was too light or the other was too powerful, six of one, half a dozen of another.
It's not like it was a truly brutal, high speed corner that the wheel let go on. Personally I'm on the side that the wheel was too light or was just missed in quality control. Though I'd think that the wheels on race bikes would be held to the absolute highest standards.

Then again, I had also had no idea VFR's were considered difficult to work on compared to other modern bikes. I just figured all new bikes were a pain in the ass. :lol:

Then again, I had also had no idea VFR's were considered difficult to work on compared to other modern bikes. I just figured all new bikes were a pain in the ass. :lol:

My 919 is actually easier to service than my 700. You can remove the throttle bodies out the side of the 919. The 700, you have to dismantle the entire arse end of the motorcycle to get the airbox out so you can get to the carbs. Fortunately, that's the only nasty operation on it and you don't have to do it much... but you can see why I'm so not a fan of ethanol as a result. All other maintenance operations are pretty easy. The 919 doesn't have any "oh god, I have to do what?" tasks, at least not from what the forums say and from just working on the bike. The RC51 I had here for several months was also easily serviced (I actually did some work on it to get it ready to ship out, etc., and I became very familiar with it.)

No, from day one, the V4s have been considered to be a pain in the arse. Though CJ and I got pretty good at pulling and installing the carbs on his VF500F after a while...

Last edited:
The VFR carbs are definitely a pain in the ass, but really the rest of the bike seems fine. The electrical system (except for the inadequate regulator/rectifier cooling) is fine. The single-sided swingarm has absolutely spoiled me. There's no worrying about timing chains since it has gear driven cams. You can even get away with ignoring valve adjustments for literally years on end. It's still a Honda, even if it's a relatively pain-in-the-ass Honda.

My bike is fuel injected, so no carbs to service, but getting in to do the vales is a pain in the ass.

I wonder how much of that stuff blowing up is the fault of the owner messing around with the motor in ways that were never intended. As for the voltage regulator, my bike is known for that same problem.

I know that some of the older Ducatis had some problems with engine design but the new motors are far more reliable and manage to do it with longer service intervals. You used to have to service the motor on Ducatis pretty much with every oil change, now it's up to 15K between services.

It's back! Bask in its manliness!

http://img135.imageshack.**/img135/194/dscf0903o.jpg
Will have to get a better onboard video now that I have a proper camera mount.

Noice!

Ooh, a Mach 3 - it was weird, most of the older guys at my old workplace had owned and ridden one of those. You always heard their reminiscence of "Good bike, and shit ton of power!" Hah.

I've never ridden one, but I imagine it would be like throwing a leg over Insanity and going for a spin.

I hope the mic is good.

I will be using a borrowed Flip like I did last time, and personally I think the audio quality on those is superb.

Spotted on another forum.

http://www.mensjournal.com/the-honda-whisperer

The best man for the job is rarely the easiest to find.
by Patrick Symmes

It took me 10 years to find just the right guy.

I had a work of art ? a CB400F Super Sport, one of the light Honda motorcycles from the 1970s that was a game-changing classic. But I needed the right mechanic ? someone to put the honey back into a half-disassembled, 35-year-old hulk rusting in the back of my mom?s New Hampshire garage. I felt like an absentee father. I knew the bike was tarnishing from neglect, but you shouldn?t trust a family heirloom to just anyone.

After a decade of inquiry and sporadic investigation, of napkin-written notes left on strangers? seats, I finally found Hidetaka Takasaki, a Japan-born mechanic in Queens who refuses to let gorgeous old machines die. Taka inhaled sharply when I told him what I was sending his way: my dad?s old Super Sport, a surprisingly swift, agile bike from 1975. These ?small four? bikes were the tools that led Honda?s takeover of the American market in two wheels. Minimalist and elegant in the Japanese way, the Super Sports had high-tech innovations (a disc brake, electric starters) at everyman prices. The engineering ? four tightly tuned cylinders ? let them explode past much bigger British bikes on twisty racecourses. And the light handling and four-into-one exhaust system suddenly made the not-so-easy-riding choppers of the 1960s look and sound like blunderbusses.

?Oh,? the master mechanic moaned. His English was cryptic, Yoda-like. He spoke with awe of the four-stroke bike?s famously seductive sound, like a lioness growling. ?Very good bike,? he said. ?I do you special.?

?

I remember my dad picking up the slightly used Honda cheap around 1979. The red paint still gleamed, and he looked cool when he left for work every morning. A few years later, he was giving me deadly serious lessons on the Honda, months of skill-building in church parking lots and back lanes before he let me go as far as the store. Fluency in shifting, unthinking access to the controls, easy balance, and constant fear ? those are the tools for staying alive on two wheels.

At the tail end of that summer, I was permitted to ride it to a high school dance. When I strode into the gym that night, 17 with a helmet tucked conspicuously under my arm, life changed forever. In college I dragged a peg for the first time, the leaned-over rite of initiation that left a scrape on the left footrest (still visible, thank you). I rode it to my first newspaper job and on my first long jaunts around New England, training for the rides I would make later, like crossing South America on a big BMW.

But eventually the carbs began to leak, my rides became rare, and around 1995 I coasted the Honda into my mom?s garage, promising to retrieve it the next year. And then the next. And the next. One local mechanic disassembled the carbs; five years later, another put them back together. Still, I was nowhere.

Year after guilty year, I questioned Manhattan bikers whose old Hondas gleamed like new. And every time, the answer came back the same. From a guy climbing onto a green 350 Super Sport in front of the Parsons School of Design: ?There?s some Japanese guy in Queens.? Years later, eyeing a sweet black-and-red Super Sport in front of the Ear Inn, where poseur bikers sometimes gather, I got a little closer: the same Japanese guy. Somewhere in Astoria. He was impossible to reach, no one knew his name, his website was wrong, his phone didn?t work.

Finally the Honda?s steady accumulation of rust guilted me into tucking notes under the seat straps of any decent old Japanese bike I saw around town. A year ago, after leaving my business card on a handsome CB500 in Greenwich Village, I got a hit ? by return e-mail, a four-letter name and a phone number in Astoria.

Taka didn?t blush when he saw the peeling paint, the lame handlebars my dad had added, or my crazy wiring experiments from 1985. He just nodded. ?Most beautiful,? he said. English isn?t Taka?s strong point ? we think safety the first, it says on his website, peak-point.net ? but his Japanese lets him cruise home-country listings and fan forums for tips, like where to find the original flat handlebars I wanted. Taka has been fixing internal combustion engines since his grandfather gave him a leaf-blower engine when he was eight, he said, and he felt an almost religious obligation to keep machines like my Honda alive.

The cult of the old motorcycles evokes wabi-sabi ? the Japanese love of well-worn, beautiful things ? but that?s just American for being useful and beloved at the same time. Simple, cheap, and elegant, old Hondas like mine are likely to endure for decades to come, even as the trendy crotch-rockets melt down into their plastic parts.

I?ve changed since the ?70s, and so has motorcycling. There are more cars moving faster, and fewer helmet laws. My own ambitions are fittingly modest for a machine with 1970s brakes and a man with a 1970s ***.

Taka?s rebuilds can be found all over New York now, along with the thousands of other old racehorses that good mechanics have saved from America?s deadly garage-tombs. The cafe-racer clan gathers ? with other tribes ? for rallies in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, that Taka organizes, where we mostly stand around ogling the sweet machines. And congratulate ourselves on finding Taka.

Well, it appears that someone posted the sales manual for HD Motorcycles online. Funny stuff.

Prepare them for the experience. For new and competitive riders, living the Harley Davidson lifestyle, if only for a brief time, can be a very exhilarating feeling that will remain with them long after the test. Gear them up with Harley Davidson apparel whenever possible - jackets boots gloves etc. As they ride, they will become immersed in the Harley Davidson culture and the attention that comes along with it....

...Stop in the middle of the ride at the busiest convenience store or any location with a lot of walk-in-and out traffic to get a water. Let the customer be seen with the bike. Someone is likely to walk by and say "nice bike" sealing the customers emotional attachment to the bike.....

http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1869757&postcount=352

EDIT: Oh and in other news, my efforts to get increased motorcycle spaces at my University may soon be paying off. The other day I spoke with the schools chancellor (who is also a former motorcyclist, and a former U.S. Congressman) about the schools lack of bike parking. The university is currently dreading that they will have to spend millions on building new parking garages to accommodate more students. He was very open to the idea of encouraging more people to commute by motorcycle to alleviate the problems with parking and congestion that the school is facing. He was quite appalled too when I told him about the lack of upkeep on the few motorcycle spaces that the school has. Hopefully I might see more bike spaces sooner than later, I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
:roflmao:

I guess someone watched a NOVA special on NLP, but without the subtlety.

Prince William on his 1198, I guess with the wedding and all he's had to skimp on the motorcycle gear budget..

1303981792899_161.jpg

And proper tire inflation, by the looks of it.

Damn you, I have spent about 4 hours going through all 80 something pages of that thread. It does have some gold in it through. I think my favorite is the dyno video of a screaming eagle CVO road ultra glide thing, which makes, wait for it......85hp.

[puts on fringed jacket]
It?s all about the low rev torque, man!
[takes off fringed jacket]

Dear riders of FG -Would I go too wrong with a early 90's CB250 as a first bike, or is there something else I should look at?

They're about $1.5K - $2K here, so its something I could actually afford lol.

Nope. That would be an excellent choice for a first bike.

:+1:

If you do pull the trigger on a nighthawk 250 you may want to join http://www.nighthawk-forums.com/. Lots of resourceful people that can help you out if you ever have any questions about maintenance and repairs (Although these bikes are quite bombproof).

Oh, and be sure to allocate some funds for proper protective gear and training.

Last edited: