The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

I personally wouldn't ride kids on the back of my bike, but that's just me.

By the way everyone, I am now officially a SQUID! W00t! I recently bought a new 2008 Kawasaki ZX-6R, my first inline-4 sport bike. First thing I did when it was delivered is sell all my safety gear... helmet, gloves, jacket, everything! No need for that stuff on a bike this fast! :cool:

As long as the kid can reach the pegs and you have gear that fits him/her then I guess it is ok. The kid needs to be mature enough mentally to be a proper passenger though.

I used to ride on the back of my next door neighbors BMW all the time when i was 11 or 12 and was fine. His kids rode all the time so he had a helmet that fit me and I just wore an old jacket that was either his wife's or oldest daughter's.

When they're closer to teenagers I don't see any problem with it. I was thinking younger, like under 10ish? I guess I'll decide when I have to.

If anyone comes across a workshop manual online (download) for a CB400SF could you let me know? Thanks.

So I went to look at a few different bikes yesterday since I plan on buying one when I get my licence (Was going to be end of this month, but knee operation clash means end of the year :( ), and am leaning towards a Honda CB250 as my first bike.

Basically, I want something cheap (to purchase and insure), reliable, a bit of fun to ride but won't kill me yet since I'm inexperienced with motorcycles (I'll eventually buy a Ducatti for that). A more expensive alternative presented to me was the Hyosung GT250, but my friend who is a big motorcycle nut tells me to buy a 2nd hand Honda rather than a Hyosung. He also said that as I'll move through the learner 250cc bike very quickly, there was no point buying something extremely nice since I'll be hankering for more power once I get used to it.

Last edited:
I think the Honda would be a good choice for a learner bike, reliable and easy to fix, good in the corners from what I've heard.

and am leaning towards a Honda CB250 as my first bike.
It's probably a very good choice, and 250cc is really perfectly fine for starting. I get along nicely with my 125 and love it tremendously, although I sometimes wish it came in 250cc guise with a little bit more power. If you do a lot of urban riding or commuting, you'll still have use for a small 'learner's bike', even after you feel you're ready to step up to something bigger.

(I'll eventually buy a Ducatti for that)
Before you do, please take notice that it's Ducatti. :p

A more expensive alternative presented to me was the Hyosung GT250, but my friend who is a big motorcycle nut tells me to buy a 2nd hand Honda rather than a Hyosung.

I'd go with the Honda too. (At least here) Hyosung is still a bit of a no-name brand, without many dealers etc. - and their bikes are not even considerably cheaper than their Japanese competitors.

Last edited:
There will always be a need for more power unless you go for a Big Bike.

Starting with a 250 is not a bad idea. I'd go for the Honda as well since mine has now over 90000 km.

After a year or two, if you didn't fell off too hard if you fell at all, you might get bored on longer trips and you might want a bigger bike. I assume the honda (used I guess) has not that depreciated as the hyosung will.

As far as I know the hyosung is quite heavy since the frame is the same as the 650.

The only thing that would get me on a hyosung is the V2 but a V2 is heavier and more complicated (2 cylinderheads) than a L2.

So on reason I guess the Honda is the better choice.
On flamboyance maybe the Hyosung.

Best way to find out: drive them both and think about them on a beer or two the evening after.

Thanks for the response guys.

As a Learner, I can only ride up to 250cc anyway, and I don't plan on racing a motorcycle (yet) so it should do me nicely pottering about town.

My dilemma is whether I should just get a small, really cheap motorbike like a Honda CT-110 (Australia Post use these, and they auction a lot off every 3 months. I can get one on the road for just over 1 grand) just to ride around and get familiar with the controls, then blow my money on a really nice bike when I get my full time job and off my learners.

I know the CT110 is extremely slow and not flashy or anything, but its damn easy to work on and as the motorbike will never replace the car for daily commuting it seems quiet appealing to a broke uni student like myself :)

Here's an even better save by someone else:
[youtube]BGKhkO-SsDk[/youtube]

That man is either a motorcycle god, the luckiest rider alive, or some combination of both.

This one is also quite nice:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9TxqSttQHM[/YOUTUBE]

My dilemma is whether I should just get a small, really cheap motorbike like a Honda CT-110 (Australia Post use these, and they auction a lot off every 3 months. I can get one on the road for just over 1 grand) just to ride around and get familiar with the controls, then blow my money on a really nice bike when I get my full time job and off my learners.

You know the CT110 is a semi-auto, so the controls aren't the same as a regular bike. No clutch lever and I think, from very poor memory, that the gear shift pattern is different - well it has a gear shifter that's extended to the rear and you're supposed to use your heel also.

It'll do 80 flat out and can carry a hefty load, but you might be better off with a 125cc scooter if that's all you want. A CB250 or the Hyosung are a fairly big step up from a CT110.

Earlier I posted a link in another tread concerning the Biker commandments. Since I suppose it should be in this thread as well I put the translation I tried here and link it in the other thread.

The translation is selfmade so minor glitches would be entirely my fault, but maybe you can help me out with that.

1. Commandment
Don't trust your right of way - assume Anarchy as ruling system. You'll live longer that way

2. Commandment
Assume that you'll be overseen - your chances of survival will increase dramatically

3. Commandment
Drive your bike - if it drives with you, something is wrong

4. Commandment
Be ready to brake - your bones will brake first

5. Commandment
Dont hide yourself, show yourself and don't drive too much on the right side (left in lefthand traffic). Don't undertake

6. Commandment
Cross the blind spot of a vehicle as quickly as possible, only nutters call that speeding

7. Commandment
Search the eyecontact - you don't need to be a psychologist for that. If your knowledge of the human nature (any better words for that) doesn't suffice, follow Commandments 1 and 2

8. Commandment
Don't be misled by the entry of a corner and drive as fast as you can see. Who is to fast on the inside is much faster out (of the driving lane, of tarmac). You won't gain on that

9. Commandment
Don't drive anyhow, instead think ahead what to do, Afterwards you're always wiser.

10. Commandment
Be on your guard and keep an escape route open. Animals, keen to survive, do the same

11. Commandment
If a crash is inevitable, let go of your handlebar in time. A good flight is better then a torn off extremity

12. Commandment
The common biker sinse allows alcohol only after the driving. No excuse for drink drivers. They had it coming

13. Commandment
Leafs, bitumen, roadmarks, manholecovers and other nasty stuff are to be driven aROUND. Only car drivers corner sharp

14- Commandment
Be relaxed - even when it gets nasty. Shivering comes last on the priority list. Follow the 11. Commandment if necessary

15. Commandment
A clean unscratched visor helps to see even in the dark - where do you know where you are going if you can't see

16. Commandment
Don't be misled by others and drive as fast as you can manage. Only greenhorns overtake in corners with oncoming traffic. They don't want to believe, they have only one life

17. Commandment
A traffic jam is no time for moaning - evolve instinct and looking at a wide angle. Look ahead, in the cars, watch for the position of hostile carwheels. Keep an eye in the mirror to watch out for police or ambulance...if that is too much to ask, wait in line till the jam is over

18. Commandment
Autumn time is deer pass time. Even a GoldWing won't stand a chance in a encounter. Thats why: watch even more, think as a forester. Good Bikers are real Allrounders

19. Commandment
Warm clothes and slightly down tirepressure help in cold weather. Frozen puddles are called ice, by the way. They have a very low amount of grip. Frozen Bodyparts can mutate to icicles. Help comes in form of Handleheater (help me on this) before, or a hot shower afterwards

20. Commandment
Not everyone gets born to ride a pillion: Instruct you passenger beforehand, check while driving and find him a nice place on another bike at the next icecream parlor if it doesn't work out. Everyone gains on that

EDIT:

@ nsx_23
get a real shifter, the sooner you get used to shifting with a clutch the more instinctively it gets
else you would be stuck with a scooter or a semiautomatic like the Aprilia NA 850 Mana

Last edited:
Earlier I posted a link in another tread concerning the Biker commandments. Since I suppose it should be in this thread as well I put the translation I tried here and link it in the other thread.

I don't agree with all of these per se, but they're more or less correct.

Here's the translation into more colloquial American English. (Why? Because I'm an American; if you want British English, go find yourself a Brit.) These are not the more commonly circulating (and more humorous) versions that originated over here, but I have seen these before.

1st Commandment:
Don't trust the other drivers to yield because you have the legal right of way - assume the road is in a state of anarchy and that everyone really is out to get you. You'll live longer.

2nd Commandment:
Ride like you are invisible; your chances of survival will increase dramatically if you do.

3rd Commandment:
Control your motorcycle; you determine where it goes. If the motorcycle is piloting itself, you're doing it wrong. (Disagree with this one to a certain extent - Spectre)

4th Commandment:
Be ready to brake at any time - because if you fail to brake your motorcycle, your bones will break instead.

5th Commandment:
Make yourself as visible as possible, don't ride in the blind spot or cruise in the right side of the lane (in LHD countries). Don't pass on the inside. (Don't totally agree with this one, either - Spectre)

6th Commandment:
If you find yourself in a vehicle's blind spot, accelerate out of it as quickly as possible. Only idiots call that speeding.

7th Commandment:
Actively seek eye contact with other drivers. If you don't understand why eye contact is important, follow the First and Second Commandments until you do.

8th Commandment:
Don't be misled by a corner entry and dive in at full speed. You may discover a nasty surprise mid-corner; quite often the guy who blindly dives into corners at 10/10ths is the fastest one out of the corner.... in the air.... minus his bike... because he's highsided and crashed. That's a big helping of "not good."

9th Commandment
Don't drive with your head up your ass. Pay attention, think about where you're going to be and not just where you are now. Otherwise, you'll be looking back at your accident in hindsight, and we all know about that.

10th Commandment:
Always have an escape route or plan in case things suddenly go to hell. Successful animals do it, are you dumber than an animal?

11th Commandment:
If you're going to crash, get off the bike or at least release the controls. A short flight through the air with a hard landing is better than having extremities ripped off.

12th Commandment:
Smart bikers know the proper order of operations is "ride first, drink alcohol after." Drunk drivers deserve whatever they catch.

13th Commandment:
*Everything* in the road can cause you to crash while cornering - ride around them. Only cagers can corner across slick manhole covers and drifts of sand or newspapers with impunity.

14th Commandment:
Be calm while riding, even when it all goes to hell and you're about to crash. Freak out *afterwards*. Remember the 11th Commandment if you need to.

15th Commandment:
A clean unscratched visor will help you see; this is important - if you can't see where you're going, how do you propose to avoid crashing?

16th Commandment:
Don't ride at 10/10ths on the street. Only newbies and squids do this, and they all believe that they're some sort of invincible Supermen. They are wrong.

17th Commandment:
Stuck in traffic? Don't waste time complaining. Develop your peripheral vision, situational awareness and observational skills, because you can get hurt *bad* in traffic. Look ahead, watch the drivers around you, observe the wheels of the cages around you (especially the front wheels - they can tell you if Grandma is about to blindly swing out and try to kill you.) Look behind you via your mirrors for emergency responders trying to work their way through traffic.

If you can't do this, pull off and wait for the traffic to leave.

18th Commandment
Deer are most common in the fall, and the damn things are everywhere on the roads. Even a GoldWing can't hit a deer and survive. Look out for wildlife; good bikers pay attention.

19th Commandment:
Winter gear and slightly reduced air pressure in your tires are beneficial in winter. "Frozen puddles" are called ice, by the way. They have a very low amount of grip. They are not your friends. Frozen body parts can become icicles; help can be had in the form of heated handgrips installed before a winter ride or a hot shower afterwards.

20th Commandment:
Not everyone is cut out to ride pillion: Teach your passenger what to do before you set off and make sure they do it while you are riding. If they still can't figure it out, make them walk home. Everyone wins and nobody gets hurt.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
nice one.

Since I learned the brit way, sort of, and get influenced by JC and the guys a bit, I guess I am a bit stuck there.

to the 3. C: I guess there are times where your bike can sort things out for you, but you should be aware of its capabilities.

In the forum I got it, the only humorous part was that someone advised to carry these rules always with you.
If you can't remember them put them on the inside of your visor.

Can you show me a link to one of those more common lists?

nevermind, google'd it

now editing for the 3rd time
to the 18th: the ending was originally about bikers being talented in multiple ways, not only wildlife. Paying attention is one bit. I assume that the original creator had a bit of an omnipotent biker in mind (mechanics, weather, wildlife, and so on). I can give you the original phrase,

18. Biker-Gebot
Herbstzeit ist Wildwechsel-Zeit. Selbst eine Gold Wing h?tte bei einem Zweikampf kaum eine Chance. Darum: Noch mehr aufpassen und nebenbei noch F?rster spielen. Denn gute Biker sind wahre Multitalente

Last edited:
Thanks for the response guys.

As a Learner, I can only ride up to 250cc anyway, and I don't plan on racing a motorcycle (yet) so it should do me nicely pottering about town.

I know the CT110 is extremely slow and not flashy or anything, but its damn easy to work on and as the motorbike will never replace the car for daily commuting it seems quiet appealing to a broke uni student like myself :)

I've got to say, stay away from auto/semi-autos. Almost all bikes are manuals, so the sooner you learn proper clutch control the better, and in my opinion a manual is just more fun, particularly on a bike. And unlike a car, it isn't hard to idle a bike in traffic- just lightly pull the clutch lever- so eve that disadvantage is lessened.

I had the same setup for my old Jeep. I just set it up so the rear washer fluid nozzle and extra pump fired straight back instead of at the rear window.

I've had it happen by accident - the front one got angled over the roof (or maybe it was semi-blocked) and it shot right over my car and hit the one behind.

Known other people who angled theirs sideways to hit pedestrians.

While tailgaters really piss me off :mad: and I like this idea, it will probably just end up as a trigger for road rage.

I've got to say, stay away from auto/semi-autos. Almost all bikes are manuals, so the sooner you learn proper clutch control the better, and in my opinion a manual is just more fun, particularly on a bike. And unlike a car, it isn't hard to idle a bike in traffic- just lightly pull the clutch lever- so eve that disadvantage is lessened.

Hmm, so what is a cheap, simple bike that I can learn to ride around on whilst still on my learners.