The "New Toys" Thread

If you wanna do that stuff you're not a target audience anyway, so don't expect it and please, don't bash senselessly.

Peace out D:

If you wanna do that stuff you're not a target audience anyway, so don't expect it and please, don't bash senselessly.

Peace out D:

I never once "bashed". I'd say Mac users do the most bashing these days, thanks to those super awesome commercials :lol:

Yes, but PC gamers like to buy new video cards every couple years, and they like to tinker with overclocking and adding bigger heatsinks to their CPU's etc (sort of like a geeky version of building/tuning a race car). Won't be doing any of that on a Mac.....

In a couple years when the ATI Radeon HD 4850 struggles to run the latest games, PC gamers can simply open their case and pop in an upgrade. iMac users on the other hand will be stuck with it.

iMac users will simply upgrade to the new iMac then. You know what's amazing about used Macs? You can actually sell em on ebay for more than 50 bucks.

iMac users will simply upgrade to the new iMac then. You know what's amazing about used Macs? You can actually sell em on ebay for more than 50 bucks.

So, they have to get a whole new computer just to get a better video card. Seems a bit odd, but if that makes them happy, who am I to judge? :)

But do please understand that the people who changes their video card are not the majority of people, it's just the geeks who want the best performance to play the latest game. Most people really don't care about their hardware components and are scared about the inside, thus they wouldn't change the components themselves anyway.

I don't get that thing where when you want to be a "computer guy" you NEED to change things inside and modify stuff. I mean, most of us here are "car guys", how many of you did put a better engine in their cars? Changed the exhaust system, etc. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy driving it after a few years.
For me it's the same with computers, I couldn't care less about what video card I'm using, what processor I have, so long as it runs my OS and my programs at a decent speed (and I'm not talking just about Spider Solitaire and Word here), and most computers from these last years can do that. Quad-core, 8GB of RAM, etc. really are overkill for most people.

I wish it was as easy to swap an engine as it is to swap a processor...

But yes, that is pretty much spot-on. Most people would never dream of upgrading a computer themselves, if at all.

I don't get that thing where when you want to be a "computer guy" you NEED to change things inside and modify stuff. I mean, most of us here are "car guys", how many of you did put a better engine in their cars? Changed the exhaust system, etc. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy driving it after a few years.

The difference with cars and games is that new games come out all the time that push the limits. A fast car will be fast forever if you maintain it. You don't need to upgrade it as long as you keep it tuned up. That's not the same for PC gamers because the bar is constantly being raised higher with new games.

But yeah, I get that a lot people don't want to mess with their computers. Macs are great for people that just want it to work and don't care about ever upgrading it, but that's also why a Mac would never work for a hardcore gamer, but I certainly agree they are good for people that don't know or care about hardware.

Last edited:
So, they have to get a whole new computer just to get a better video card. Seems a bit odd, but if that makes them happy, who am I to judge? :)

Implying that you can just keep upgrading your video card for 10 years without ever having to change your mobo due to CPU socket changes, Ram Socket changes, New HDD interfaces, New PCIe specifications, New USB Specifications, etc. etc.

Implying that you can just keep upgrading your video card for 10 years without ever having to change your mobo due to CPU socket changes, Ram Socket changes, New HDD interfaces, New PCIe specifications, New USB Specifications, etc. etc.

Yeah, I get ya. This conversation is getting stale though. Just get whatever computer makes you happy :)

Intel Core i7 920 OCZ Gold 1600 6gigs ram ASRock x58 extreme mobo :D and i got the 5850 last week :D i also got some cheap earbuds and ARMA II and Windows 7 Ultimate :D. Now I'm broke :( clothes and food are overrated anyways.

300d72w.jpg

Just bought the new Macbook. Not the Pro, the white Macbook. It got a few upgrades and an unibody design (still plastic though). It's roughly the same as the cheapest Macbook Pro but is a lot cheaper :p

^Let me know your ownership experience.

I'm on the edge of buying a mac.

Dont feel lonely jeffy, i am also doing a custom computer so i can have something made for me.Decided to go that to show my dad i can do something way much more better than dell for alot less money. But i am the kind of person who is checking to a have custom made bike, would want to make his own car to suit his own very need and also get custom tailored shoes. Cause whatever that is done by big company just dosent semm to fill up all my need. Thats why i like more the custom way.

Last edited:
The problem with always saying that a custom PC can be made for less than an equivalent pre-made one is that some people are adamant about having a legit copy of Windows(or OSX i suppose, if you were to build them a Hackintosh). Shit's expensive.

Last edited:
The problem with always saying that a custom PC can be made for less than an equivalent pre-made one is that some people are adamant about having a legit copy of Windows(or OSX i suppose, if you were to build them a Hackintosh). Shit's expensive.

Not if you are or know a student ;) I just got Windows 7 Professional for only $30.

But you are right: otherwise, it's quite expensive (would've been $200).

Last edited: