Ownership Verified: USS Deer - The Some F***s Given 1979 Impala

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
Car(s)
3 of them
In 1979 a crack commando unit of the United States General Service Administration was sent to purchase a vehicle for the United States Embassy in Honduras. These men promptly purchased a beige 1979 Impala with the 350 Cubic Inch engine, Cassette player, and Air Conditioning which was built in Jamesville, WI. Today, long since discarded by the government, it survived forlorn in a garage in the middle of a nondescript town. If you are insane, if no other car will do, and if you can find it, maybe you can also buy a barn find.

For those of you who read my occasional contributions to Curbside Classic, you will recall that last year I found myself behind the wheel of a Ford Crown Victoria. If not, see here. Anyway, I've always wanted to have an American landyacht. It's just something that you don't see here. When people buy a big car, they go straight for the large American Puckup/SUV. The wonders of import taxes also make them hideously expensive to buy and, because Honduras has car tastes roughly in line with Pennsylvania except cheaper, take rates are low. Finding a landyacht is, therefore, rather like finding a needle in a stack of smaller, crappier needles.

For the longest time, my idea was simple, amass the $11k or so to get a disused CVPI, throw some magnaflows and remote start and be done with buying cars forever (or at least until something like an MR2 winked in my general direction). Unfortunately, that idea takes a lot of time and many things can happen in such a long time.
A couple of days ago I was having a delicious burger in a restaurant when I was told by the old man that someone was trying to sell an old landyacht. No other information was provided apart from a couple of photos.
After much poking and prodding, we find out the story. Apparently a very elderly doctor just underwent brain surgery and, since he?s very old and now very frail, he decided he was getting rid of all those things that he was going to fix ?eventually?. Among those was this 1979 impala.
The people who saw it told me it was clean with no rust and a complete interior?being how we had a bit of a Flintstone situation the last time we went around this road, that was a relief. However, I wasn?t sure, so I sent my mechanic to have a little go at it. If I got his clear, we would buy it. He would also negotiate the fuck out of every tiny thing to get the price down.

IMG_20170813_125845737.jpg

Presented next to an inferior gasket-killing GM vehicle

And so it was that we found ourselves yesterday at 1800 hours on the middle of a residential cul-de-sac turned shadetree mechanic dragging a very very very cheap car out of a tow truck. The rear-drums, you see, were frozen solid.

Now that I have it though, I can begin thinking what to make it into. As if I hadn?t thought of that already. I mentioned it on RT Automotive and I plan to stick to it. If we manage to make it run properly (and we kinda have to since we?re taking what amounts to two spaces on the cul-de-sac mechanic and that?s his livelihood I am fucking there) We?ll turn it into the car for roadtrips and to pick people from the airport/Drive to those events I have to go now that I have a job around execs. As you can see on the title, we?re not precisely going for showroom-fresh here. Not with the dash cracked as only a GM dash can, but it should be equally good during a family roadtrip, hauling the bossman to his top-floor suite or anything in between.

When that?s done however, I can go back to the 200 HP/ 20 MPG plan. The car should have enough torque from the get-go so daily driver economy gets priority. Thankfully, due to the fact that these engine?s lack of power comes from breatrhing issues. The power improvements also come with an additional MPG or two. Or is that the other way around? (power gains are a guess anyway, since we don?t exactly have access to a dyno). Of course, being how the engine was dead the first priority will be to start it up. I mean, it sat for the best part of a decade it?s not like it will just fire right?
?I?m one day in and I love this thing already. The lights, horn and A/C relay worked too before we did anything but throw a battery and some gas in.

Bonus pictures (featuring the special Feline mechanic team)

more like 137k?

Apparently the two-tone is original...or very well done.

Pioneer Whatever-BT goes here.

Roof Damage

You need an upholsterer

Interior without rips or tears.

Other interesting vehicle being inspected

Last edited:
Love it! And it being my birth year I approve even more! How hard is it to get parts down there?

Not to bad looking body. Wash it and it will all buff right out(except the fade of course :p ). The things that pop out at me are the headliner and carpet. Definitely not stock. It also looks like the door interiors and seats were redone.

Great start point for your project.

Yes.

Definitely yes.

Please keep us posted throughout the progress of this project.

See? Bad 70's and 80's cars can be cool in 2017! I gotta get a Monza LOL

Cannot wait to see the progress on this project!

See? Bad 70's and 80's cars can be cool in 2017! I gotta get a Monza LOL

Cannot wait to see the progress on this project!

The Impala wasn't nearly as bad as the Monza.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone has already redone the door panels for sure - and since the seats appear to match, I would guess that they were all done at the same time. This is what the door panel/card for a 79 Impala is supposed to look like:

081016-Barn-Finds-1979-Chevrolet-Impala-Wagon-4.jpg

Even GM of this era would not have let something of this price and size ship with big blank slabs for door panels.

The oddly blank center stack is, however, original. I have no idea what GM was thinking when they did that, it always seemed odd to me. There were cheaper GMs that didn't have anything that odd.

73436.jpg

Since you have locked up rear drums, save yourself some heartache and shotgun the whole brake system - clearly water's gotten into it and gotten ruined. You can get the master, calipers, hoses and wheel cylinders cheap through Rock Auto, but (again, to avoid some serious problems) since GM didn't use stainless brake hardline and water's been sitting in there for years, plan on just going ahead and replacing the entire set of hard lines. It'll also make it easier to replace the hydraulics because I bet all the ferrules and nuts are frozen in place. If you have new hard lines, you can just cut the whole system up and not worry about it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-90-Che...ash=item3f4c610c97:g:wKcAAOSwPgxVTSlM&vxp=mtr

Since replacing the dash is expensive, get a dash cap. They come in various colors; I suggest looking for the Coverlay brand for best results that way. You can get them with the dual dash speaker cut outs or the center single speaker depending on which you have.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coverlay-18...ash=item489717a5e9:g:lcMAAOSw9GhYaz~8&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/77-90-Impal...ash=item5b276d410f:g:PsMAAOSwYSlXgVgw&vxp=mtr

Recovering the headliner (assuming the headliner board is still intact, I don't remember what GM used for those back then) is pretty easy and can be done at home.

Site that should be of some interest to you: https://gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html
Specifically, where you can order build sheets, dealer invoices, etc., etc.: http://www.gmmediaarchive.com/

Love it! And it being my birth year I approve even more! How hard is it to get parts down there?

Things like the missing dash clock and air vents we can get through ebay. But everything after 4lbs. gets rather expensive to import (even if you ship by boat.) Body panels and the sort? Fuggedabout it unless they're damaged AF. This does not bode well for intakes and headers. that is, unless I go myself to pick them up. ;)

Not to bad looking body. Wash it and it will all buff right out(except the fade of course :p ). The things that pop out at me are the headliner and carpet. Definitely not stock. It also looks like the door interiors and seats were redone.

Great start point for your project.

Thank you! See below for working theory

Yes.

Definitely yes.

Please keep us posted throughout the progress of this project.

will do.

Nice! I like these!

Thank you!

The Impala wasn't nearly as bad as the Monza.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone has already redone the door panels for sure - and since the seats appear to match, I would guess that they were all done at the same time. This is what the door panel/card for a 79 Impala is supposed to look like:

081016-Barn-Finds-1979-Chevrolet-Impala-Wagon-4.jpg

Even GM of this era would not have let something of this price and size ship with big blank slabs for door panels.

My working theory is that someone tried to make it a pimpmobile in the early 80s, that would explain the shag carpets, the door cards and whatever the fuck is with that interior rear window surround (also, the two-tone? it seems like a very well done job. I still want to run the VIN).

I found some very interesting stampings on the engine. Since you mentioned that a 307 or something similarly silly could've been swapped, I went and got the engine number from the block. The blue headers had me worried but it seems that it's just a standard 2bbl 350 (160hp.)

My working theory is that someone tried to make it a pimpmobile in the early 80s, that would explain the shag carpets, the door cards and whatever the fuck is with that interior rear window surround (also, the two-tone? it seems like a very well done job. I still want to run the VIN).

See added post above. All the tiger-print stuff is (obviously) not stock. Those are all standard vehicle upholstery bits - fabric/vinyl/leather wrapped around some sort of form or backing board. You can redo those like the headliner. Stock for an Impala would have been color matched interior vinyl or fabric. Well, as color matched as GM ever bothered with in a Chevy, anyway.

Come to think of it, I wonder how much will interchange between that and the only one I found in the local Pick N Pull system:
http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/1G1BL51H6JR132624

My guess is probably the whole fucking car is interchangeable. GM (and Ford) didn't exactly change a whole lot of any on these large barges back in those decades. Don't forget the Pontiac Parisienne (spelling?) either, practically the same car that generation.

Fun fact, the 1977 Impala was the car of the year. :) No idea why I remember that.

My guess is probably the whole fucking car is interchangeable.

A better bet would be whatever you'd need to be interchangeable is not. :p GM is not unknown for changing parts slightly, enough to retain similarities and yet make both completely noninterchangeable. (While in a few cases keeping the same frickin' part no!).

Congrats on what appears to be a solid landyacht!

My guess is probably the whole fucking car is interchangeable. GM (and Ford) didn't exactly change a whole lot of any on these large barges back in those decades. Don't forget the Pontiac Parisienne (spelling?) either, practically the same car that generation.

Fun fact, the 1977 Impala was the car of the year. :) No idea why I remember that.

Per what Conan referenced above, there's actually a lot of stuff that doesn't individually interchange. The fenders and doors won't swap in and match the rest of the car, for example - the beltline is considerably different. I was thinking more along the lines of what interior bits could be swapped over.

As for the 77 COTY award - well, you probably remember it because it's a shining example of just how screwed up our automotive press was and to some degree still is.

GM is not unknown for changing parts slightly, enough to retain similarities and yet make both completely noninterchangeable. (While in a few cases keeping the same frickin' part no!).
For the Kadett, at some point, they changed the polarity of the interior fan connector without changing the part number. They changed the wire colors, but only marginally (think dark brown/white to black/white). The connector stayed the same, as well. So you ordered a fan, put it in the car and it literally sucked instead of blowing!

A better bet would be whatever you'd need to be interchangeable is not. :p GM is not unknown for changing parts slightly, enough to retain similarities and yet make both completely noninterchangeable. (While in a few cases keeping the same frickin' part no!).

This is true, especially with what Spectre mentioned. But I assumed we were talking about interiors so that's what I was meaning. :)

Per what Conan referenced above, there's actually a lot of stuff that doesn't individually interchange. The fenders and doors won't swap in and match the rest of the car, for example - the beltline is considerably different. I was thinking more along the lines of what interior bits could be swapped over.

Totally, I meant the interior bits which is what we were talking about no? I think some of the exterior bits like bumpers, headlight header bar, doors, and grilles are interchangeable? But I could be wrong.

As for the 77 COTY award - well, you probably remember it because it's a shining example of just how screwed up our automotive press was and to some degree still is.

Agree 100%. :mrgreen:

This is true, especially with what Spectre mentioned. But I assumed we were talking about interiors so that's what I was meaning. :)

Totally, I meant the interior bits which is what we were talking about no? I think some of the exterior bits like bumpers, headlight header bar, doors, and grilles are interchangeable? But I could be wrong.

All the front end sheetmetal is different, so unless he wants to do a front clip swap he can't use it. I don't know about the 'header bar' or cross support, that's likely to interchange but I don't think he needs one of them. On the other hand, GM has sometimes made different radiator cross supports by displacement - some cars had one for a 305 and a different one for a 350.

Yeah, it's stupid. It's GM.

However, this is why there is such a thing as the Hollander Interchange Guide to tell you what interchanges and what doesn't.

Come to think of it, I wonder how much will interchange between that and the only one I found in the local Pick N Pull system:
http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/1G1BL51H6JR132624

It seems all I really need are the clock and the airvent to the right of the clock. I'm okay with the pimpmobile doorcards and seats (the headliner and rear window surrounds are another matter entirely and will be dealt with). I'd rather buy new carpeting (rockauto has one with sound deadening and heat protection for cheap) and I'll replace the cigarrette lighter with one of those flush dual USB QC 2.0 things anker makes. I presume the knob for adjusting the right mirror will come with the mirror itself. (I also presume the aero mirrors won't fit)

Thank you!

I think it has less to do with the U.S motoring press being for sale and more with the fact that they trimmed all of the lard from the '76 and earlier while making the cars bigger inside. Those 800lb.+ savings also meant the car was a lot better in fuel economy, handling and acceleration. If you measure car of the year as how much a new model improved over it's predecessor. the '77s beat the '76s up and down the street.

Last edited:
Don't replace the lighter, get a lighter socket insert that does that. There's all kinds of useful things you can do with the lighter socket. Such as charge the car battery with the hood closed if needed.

Yes, that's what I meant. Plop something like this in the socket so I can take it out whenever.