New NSX at the 'Ring

The NSX didn't sell well because it was down on power compared to other cars of the time. The handling was absolutely superb but it just didn't have the power of others in the field.

Add to that a fairly hefty price tag and you will see why most people would prefer to stay away from it.

When I was looking at one around turn of the century (just curious no real desire or means to get one) it retailed for about 90K. There were just too many cars in the same bracket with a bit more oopmh under the hood.

Yup, in the early 90s, it was at least competitive, but after about 95-96 it really started loosing momentum. The price/power stayed the same which is what killed it. I hope they learn from their past, with the new NSX.

The new NSX is supposedly going to be front engined, have AWD and a 8-speed transmission. So it's not really like the previous NSX at all.

yes, and i read somewhere that Honda demanded the engineers to make the NSX faster then the new GTR at the 'ring. :cool:

^^ That would be awesome.

I think Honda is missing the point, sure being faster around the 'ring than the GT-R would generate some publicity. But making a good sports car doesn't necessarily mean making a car for the sole purpose of being faster on one track. If Audi can make a usable supercar with little experience in the area and get extremely positive reviews from just about everyone, I'm sure Honda can too.

I think Honda is missing the point, sure being faster around the 'ring than the GT-R would generate some publicity. But making a good sports car doesn't necessarily mean making a car for the sole purpose of being faster on one track. If Audi can make a usable supercar with little experience in the area and get extremely positive reviews from just about everyone, I'm sure Honda can too.

but isint the R8 based off the Lamborghini Gallardo platform? It should be a lot easier to create a good supercar by starting with a proven platform already.

The upcoming Honda NSX "must" be faster than Nissan GT-R around Nurburgring is the ultimatum set forth by Honda CEO Takeo Fukui.

The NSX project engineers have their work cut out for them, for sure. Early info on the car suggest it will have a front-mounted 550 hp 5.5L V10 with cylinder deactivation capability, and will use a 8-speed paddle-shifting automatic. All that power will be sent to all four wheels via a beefed up version of the Acura SH-AWD. So, at least the rumored spec sheet should have the goods to deliver the goods.
taken from: http://blogs.edmunds.com/straightline/4848

since some people think its the toyota LFA, here are some pics of acura's concept sports car from awhile back

2007-acura-advanced-sports-car-concept-01.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

acura_asc_concept.jpg

This is gonna be a nice Japanese war coming up! :D

This new NSX with a V10 and the new Supra with a V10 up against the GT-R! :w00t:

I really believe that Honda and Toyota took those V10s from their old V10 F1 cars. Don't you think? They sure sound like them. :D

They probably got some of their R&D from their old F1 units, but those things were 3L with almost no low-down torque and sky-high redlines; for the road, they'd need something heavily revised. Of course they could easily claim inspiration from the F1 engines, the same way Ferrari's 4.7L V12 in the F50 was supposedly F1-inspired.

Sounds like a high strung V8 for sure. Honda makes the best engines (and the best sounding engines) in the world. Lets hope this can match the old NSX as far as what it did (The original NSX was the best car in the world when it was first launched in '91)

Looks FR or FAWD
Sounds utterly astonishing
Looks to be insanely fast
Proportions of the body look good, have to way and see the details.

<3 Honda.

EDIT: I'm actually more inclined to say it sounds like a V10...possibly F1 derived?

Last edited:
After 2 decades of the self-imposed 280hp limit, we are now going to have a japanese power war. This will be epic.

Sounds like a high strung V8 for sure. Honda makes the best engines (and the best sounding engines) in the world. Lets hope this can match the old NSX as far as what it did (The original NSX was the best car in the world when it was first launched in '91)

Looks FR or FAWD
Sounds utterly astonishing
Looks to be insanely fast
Proportions of the body look good, have to way and see the details.

<3 Honda.

EDIT: I'm actually more inclined to say it sounds like a V10...possibly F1 derived?

It's a v10. It has the whine of 2x5bangers. V8's don't do that. Oh and Honda said from the beginning it would be a v10 of 5 or so liters.

Should have made it MR, that is the supercar way!

I totally agree, and it saddens me greatly that it's a possibility that it will be a front engined car.

This also makes me wonder if the S2000 will be replaced when the NSX project is complete. Perhaps an S3000 inline 5 or inline 6 at 3L? That'd be pretty cool.

I really don't see this as a spiritual succesor to the NSX. Just a borrowed badge. The original NSX was all about balance and precision, a real drivers car. I haven't heard from one single person that drove one say anything other than it's one of the best handling cars in the world (note for people that don't get it; handling is not how fast you get around a corner).

But front engined and AWD? Well since they've thrown away what the original NSX was loved for, they're going to have to try to compete with the GT-R with that layout, and I can't imagine Honda beating Nissan at the game they invented.