Your favourite "buy a car for x pounds" challenge?

Your favourite "buy a car for x pounds" challenge?

• Total voters

Bugatti

My vote would have to go to the 1500 pound Porsche challenge? Jeremy and the 928 on the tow truck was priceless -

Hammond: "So you've got nothing to spend improving it...(collapses laughing)
Clarkson: "It's not improving it! It's getting it going!"

:lol:

Last edited:
Italian supercar challenge.

Hammond: "Did your car break down on the way?"

May: "No, I just had to stop and fill it up with electricity."

Hammond and Clarkson: "James has bought an AA truck!!!" (both collapse laughing)

British Leyland, purely for hammonds handbrake test :lol:

I hope they keep up with these, got my fingers crossed for a ?1500 jap import challenge :D

Definitely the 10k supercars:
May arriving on the AA truck
Clarkson's ?38 SS badge
"No it's not a kit car, it's a Lamborghini. Philistine"
"I was rather hoping to end up in a rather different sort of hedge"

Classic

oh definitely the 100 pound car one... for the sheer awesomeness of buying a volvo for 1 pound :lol:

All of the challenges before and including S7 was very good. 100 quid one is prolly my favorite.

1500 quid Porsche challenge ... using a Cadbury Creme Egg to try and fix the 928's radiator was priceless!!

Either porsche or non-porsche-coupe one is tops for me.

British Leyland, purely for hammonds handbrake test :lol:

I hope they keep up with these, got my fingers crossed for a ?1500 jap import challenge :D

Agree with the handbrake test & the filling the cars with water one.:p

But a Jap import test wouldn't work - there wouldn't be anything to go wrong.:)

The Italian Supercars. So funny that none of them made it at the end, which is also sad too because I wanted James to win. "Come on car, i'll let you come in with me" lol

I voted for the British Leyland test. The handbrake test, the driving over the bumpy road with the eggs, Capt. Slow doing a full lap around the track in the water-filled Princess...just brilliant stuff all-around.

This was actually the moment I started watching TG on a regular basis even though it was a 1 AM showing on BBC America, and I really needed to go to bed so I wouldn't oversleep and miss work...and I just couldn't turn off the telly.

$1500 coupe challenge for me. I thought that one was brilliant.

My vote goes to the original ?100 car challenge.

James and Richard pull up on the track and James opens his car door onto Richard's glorious Rover GTi. "Mind the paintwork" says an annoyed Richard as he dismounts his British hot hatch.

That was the start of the long running gag about driving into James and opening their doors onto his car :lol:

All the others were very good, but I felt the Alfa challenge took the "drive into James" joke too far, and quite rightly he got annoyed about it. The odd bump is funny, but it's gone too far now. Shame!

The ?10000 Italian supercar challenge is a very close second as Jezza's engine blew up on the road, and the idea of them trying to drive a mere 100 miles to "Peppermint Rhinoceros" was a stroke of genius :D

Last edited:
The ?100 pound car challenge for me. It was a great piece showing that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to enjoy motoring!! And the fact the stig's look when he had to race them around the track was pricless!!

Speaking of which I've just bought an 97 merc 2.3 c class for a ?100 as a runabout as you see Top Gear test drives do influence!! :)

Nothing beats the original. The Italian Supercar is a close second.

What about the South African Trip and the American Trip? They were cheap car challenges.