2008 Belgian Formula 1 Grand Prix

Not when they try to ram each other off the road and cut corners.

And I said "suspended". So it doesn't come into force if they don't do anything wrong in the next few races.

I'm surprised, very surprised in fact, that you, of all people on this board think this way. First of all, it was ONLY KIMI that tried to run first Massa, then Hamilton off the road. Hamilton, cut the chicane, yet he gave kimi the position back. Any argument otherwise is futile, as he was on the outside when he let Kimi past him, and overtook him on the inside to pass him for the lead. The jiggling about is debatable as the track was wet and can be passed off easily as the cars not having grip while in the braking zone.

We were gifted by two stunning drivers, one of the best ever pieces of on track action in years and you think that the two of them should be punished for that? That is pretty surprising coming from someone who relishes the action of F1's past, and someone who takes the time and makes the effort to go into F1's history from before they were born.

We already know that the FIA is inconsistent in it's judgments, therefore, regardless of the precedent being set ages ago, the past is the past, and the present is the present.

I, for one, completely disagree with you on this, because, in my eyes, that was sporting and ragged edge stuff, and is what racing IS, and should be all about.

---

As far as race comments go, I'm delighted for Lewis, that was a fantastic race, even though he botched up twice, and had it not rained, him not winning would have been 100% his own fault. His win was quite literally a gift from mother nature, but I'm not complaining :).

Kovalainen had an APPALLING start, and then completely botched up Webbers race. Disappointed on both accounts, however, more disappointed for Webber. The poor guy cannot catch luck if it came up and bit him in the face.

I am truly gutted for Kimi, I like him SO MUCH MORE than Massa, and he drove a bloody fine race today, only to be rewarded by a bit of overcooking that led to a complete binning of his race. He, sadly, will be Ferrari's #2 for the rest of the season, and that greatly saddens me :(. Massa, on the other hand, kept out of trouble, and consolidated points. A championship drive that. He knew he just had to keep it on track, and towards the end of the race it must have been a hectic challenge for him. I have to give him props for that.

Another victim of my pity is Bourdais, who drove a beautiful race and deserved EVER SO MUCH MORE than what he got. That last lap was really just unfair on the guy. He should have switched to inters, like Alonso, which would have probably led to a nice little battle.

Alonso and Quicknick were fantastic. Great move by the teams to switch to inters and steal as much as they can on the last lap. The strategy played right into Nick's hands, and a podium could not have come at a better time. I think he deserves that second Bimmer seat, and I hope he gets to keep it. Alonso overtaking 2 cars out of the last chicane before the start finish was pretty epic. Such entertaining stuff.

Last, but not least: Spa. Why they even consider not racing on this track is just beyond me. Honestly, this race more than makes up for the sleepfest we had a couple of weeks ago, it feels like F1 was on a 5 week break and this is the first race we got to watch after the summer holidays. Here's hoping Spa is able to stay on the calendar unchanged, forever :).

Fantastic race. Moments like this, I feel like I'm the luckiest person in the world to be an F1 fan. Absolutely wonderful!

I'm surprised, very surprised in fact, that you, of all people on this board think this way. First of all, it was ONLY KIMI that tried to run first Massa, then Hamilton off the road. Hamilton, cut the chicane, yet he gave kimi the position back. Any argument otherwise is futile, as he was on the outside when he let Kimi past him, and overtook him on the inside to pass him for the lead. The jiggling about is debatable as the track was wet and can be passed off easily as the cars not having grip while in the braking zone.

We were gifted by two stunning drivers, one of the best ever pieces of on track action in years and you think that the two of them should be punished for that? That is pretty surprising coming from someone who relishes the action of F1's past, and someone who takes the time and makes the effort to go into F1's history from before they were born.

We already know that the FIA is inconsistent in it's judgments, therefore, regardless of the precedent being set ages ago, the past is the past, and the present is the present.

I, for one, completely disagree with you on this, because, in my eyes, that was sporting and ragged edge stuff, and is what racing IS, and should be all about.

OK... sorry, it was an opinion and a misjudgement in the heat of the moment. It just happened to look to me like Les Combes back in '95 between Schuey and Hill, and I know that they got what they got for that.

In that case, they should get rid of the "one-move" rule. It's probably past its "best before" day.

Right... now, real opinion on the race...

- Haminator? In those insane last laps, I guess he was. Heikki's bad start must have put him in a bad mood, and maybe that's why he rammed Webbo.
- Kimi lost self-control and I think his season and championship challenge is dead. He must help Massa from now on. Reliability looks sorted, Massa's engine held together.
- Heidfeld and Alonso... talk about a gamble paying off big time.
- Toro Rosso... is Vettel indeed getting a promotion by moving to Red Bull? And has Bourdais secured his seat with his latest two performances?

This race ending reminded me a bit of Monaco 1982, with cars going off on a slippery track left, right and center.

I feel soo bad for R?ikk?nen :(:( Amazing race, but that wasent exactly my first thought when the race ended... more like throwing something out of the window.

I really hope FIA leaves it as it is. These things should be settled in race, not by the 11 000 page long rulebook after the race.

Still... :cry:

Well that was a great race, the (top 2) standings not really as I hoped, but as I expected, I thought Massa would have done better, he looked good in qualify. Vettel was smoking, funny that the "baby" team is faster than the big brother. Hamilton was great on the wet as always, but I'm glad to see Ferrari isn't hopeless in the cold as we seen before.

Bring on Monza

WHAT??? Did he not notice he was FOURTH not THIRD? Did he also not notice how his teammate crashed for no apparent reason...again?

Can not is, but I highly doubt they're even close to 3rd without Alonso behind the wheel, I'm not a huge fan of the man, but there is no denying that he can drive.

Edit: Kovi finished? Saw a picture of him parked in the side of the road but BBC is having him as 14th, Glad I'm not Finnish today :|

Last edited:
Edit: Kovi finished? Saw a picture of him parked in the side of the road but BBC is having him as 14th

He stopped on the last lap but was classified as having finished a lap down.

What mystifies me is why did he stop? And in my mind there are two alternatives: either he shunted his car a corner earlier or he ran out of fuel. Since there were no outside replays, we'll have to wait for possible photos.

EDIT: LOL WUT?

Glock hit with 25-second penalty

By Pablo Elizalde Sunday, September 7th 2008, 15:30 GMT

Timo Glock has been given a 25-second penalty at the Belgian Grand Prix after the stewards ruled he had overtaken under yellow.

The Toyota driver passed Red Bull's Mark Webber for eighth place in the dying moments of the race, in an area where there were yellow flags following Kimi Raikkonen's crash.

After the race, Glock was hit with a penalty that dropped him outside of the points.

Webber is then moved to the point-scoring positions.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70397

Last edited:
Have just been reading f1.com, until I stumbled on this:
Fernando Alonso, Renault (4th):
"We finished fourth after a difficult race with plenty of incidents. It's a good result for the team, especially for our position in the championship because our objective was to score some important points. We missed out on a podium today, but we have shown that we can be the third strongest team in the championship."

WHAT??? Did he not notice he was FOURTH not THIRD? Did he also not notice how his teammate crashed for no apparent reason...again?

Well... looking at the whole race, I think Alonso was the 'strongest' behind Kimi, Lewis and Massa. That's two Ferraris and one McLaren, so two teams. If I knew nothing about this year's championship but would have watched only this race, I would also think that Renault was the 3rd strongest car today.

That penalty is pathetic. I have no other word for it.

He stopped on the last lap but was classified as having finished a lap down.

What mystifies me is why did he stop? And in my mind there are two alternatives: either he shunted his car a corner earlier or he ran out of fuel. Since there were no outside replays, we'll have to wait for possible photos.

According to the finnish commentators it was a gearbox failure.

Is this true? The F1 official website still shows Hamilton as winner...

Alonso being third strongest...let's look at the results of the race. How about we look at the entire season? He is a good driver, but Renault are nowhere near the leaders in terms of their cars.

Alonso being third strongest...let's look at the results of the race. How about we look at the entire season? He is a good driver, but Renault are nowhere near the leaders in terms of their cars.

I think he meant this race. And today, he really looked the strongest behind the Ferraris and Maccas, IMO.

It's true... I don't like Hamilton and I'd love to see one of Ferrari's drivers win the WDC but I strongly disagree with this penalty.

Ooooops...

Hamilton penalised, Massa handed win

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70401

Well... I said some penalty would be applied, but personally I wouldn't have applied the penalty to the results of this race.

(I was talking about suspended one-race offs, but for after Spa, not affecting the result)

In the end, everything about the end of this race can be summed up by two words:

HOLY CRAP.

EDIT: And if they penalised Hamilton, in my opinion, they should have penalised Kimi as well. Since he didn't finish, probably with a 5-place grid drop.

Last edited:
This is the saddest example of FIAs pro-Ferrari attitude.

Seriously, everyone that knows me knows I HATE HAMILTON AND ALONSO and laughed my ass off when they took Hammy the lead away, but it is just freaking UNFAIR judgement. If Kimi did that noone cared. This is why I hate F1 in the last years more and more. Overregulated and pro-Ferrari to the bone. BAH!

F1 official site is a bit slow with the news usually. At least finnish TV is saying that Massa won the race.
http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/f1/uutiset.shtml/arkistot/f1/2008/09/707006

Well i can see why did he got penalized, but it really was bad decision by FIA. If he was going to get penalized i was waiting something completely different than this.

So, who paid the FIA to do this..? Ferrari maybe...