The General Motorbikers Discussion Thread

May I ask how common it is for grown men to ride 250cc and below street motorcycles in the usa?

It's not common for anyone but newbie riders and small women/teens to ride anything under 250cc, motorcycle or not. That is, on the street. Offroad, a lot of people ride 250cc and under dirtbikes.

Saw one of these parked up outside a supermarket today

2005-KTM-rc8.jpg

I don't really like pictures of it, but seeing it in real life, it's got so much presence!

Also, got my motorbike test booked for 18th Dec just in time for winter! It's the earliest they had.

I had a ride yesterday, short one, 60km. And it was pretty cold! I haven't driven my bike for allmost two weeks.
But before that I did a nice trip, over 1000km, which for me is a lot, becouse my bike is just 200km shy of the 6000km service. And it's m first big bike, so, you know, taking it easy.
But in those 1000km, wow, the roads in this country are freaking awesome! Especially along the Adriatic. Plus there were almost no cars, beautifull.

But now I have less free time, the days are shorter and the weather is yuck!
I have to take it to the shop soon, and then it's of to bed for the winter :)

There he is, just bellow this post :D

May I ask how common it is for grown men to ride 250cc and below street motorcycles in the usa?
Not very. Most guys here either ride a new 600cc or larger Jap bike or a Harley. I wish I would've saved for something bigger than my 250cc Honda enduro, but it's plenty adequate for getting me around town and the trails. Actually, it's about perfect for the trails around here, but I can't run it down the highway.

Strangely, my ninja 650r doesn't have any trouble on a cold morning, it starts up like it's spring.
My Honda is the same way. Pull the choke out and it fires first kick, even though the last few nights have been down in the 30s.

So, Blind_Io, I missed the post with Vicky's pictures or you STILL hadn't posted them?

Sorry, been too busy riding her!

I'll get some tomorrow.

Damn, I got busy today and didn't get any photos taken. I promise to get some soon, hopefully tomorrow.

Did my last trip yesterday for this year on our 500cc Kawasaki because my dad already prepared the Honda for her winter sleep (putting out the battery ect.). Despite the fresh but dry weather people already seem to have finished the season some time before me as motorcyclists were a pretty rare sight.

Damnit, my Honda wouldn't start today. I must have kicked it over 20 times. Evidently it will run fine at 40 degrees, but anything less is just too cold. Sounds like I had the same weather you're getting mautzel. It's getting cold, but the skies are nice and blue. Maybe next year I'll have found a more reliable motorcycle.

Damnit, my Honda wouldn't start today. I must have kicked it over 20 times. Evidently it will run fine at 40 degrees, but anything less is just too cold. Sounds like I had the same weather you're getting mautzel. It's getting cold, but the skies are nice and blue. Maybe next year I'll have found a more reliable motorcycle.

Did you check to make sure the choke has full travel?

Hm, cleaned your carb since you got it? It's possible that there's a circuit or three plugged up. That thing should start below freezing temps.

Also, check the battery. It may be marginal.

If I don't find a plugged circuit in the carb I'll be surprised. The battery was okay, but maybe too weak for the temperature? I think I'll just bite the bullet and go ahead and cram it into the shop next to my Yamaha. At least I can get parts for the Honda.

Don't forget to completely winterize the bike - most of those 250s got wrecked or trashed long ago, you want to keep that little guy running. :D

%$#@ that's what I forgot to do. I never changed the oil in my Yamaha before I parked it. Well that goes on the list for tomorrow, along with the cars oil. I honestly don't much care for the Honda, I think I'll just fix all the little crap that's wrong with it and sell it in the spring.

If so, you should be able to get quite a bit for it when you sell it.

Then you can go get an XL650. :D