Clarkson: Outrage over Clarkson's 'sick' prostitutes joke

People are 'outraged' at every season :rolleyes:

The whole fiasco is ridiculous - I found the comment funny. Those people need to lighten up.

oh my heart f**kin' bleeds for them

:lol:

Seconded.

Why don't we just let the Countryside Alliance use their horses and hounds to hunt and kill Daily Fail readers? If we all push hard enough it might even make into the 2012 Olympics as a demonstration sport.

Even better BBC2 could buy the rights and show it on Sundays straight after Top Gear - imagine the ratings!

I can just hear the station announcer now "Come for the cars, stay for the carnage!"

Top Gear could be removed from television until a thorough investigation is completed. Over 2,000 complaints so far.

Also, some MP wants Clarkson sacked.

Top Gear could be removed from television until a thorough investigation is completed. Over 2,000 complaints so far.

Also, some MP wants Clarkson sacked.

Think you might be exaggerating about the number of complaints unless you have a source noone else here has found. Please cite it if you do.

In the meantime here's the voice of reason to add a little balance to the media coverage from the Grauniad of all places!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/mediamonkeyblog/2008/nov/04/jeremyclarkson-bbc

Here is the link, it is over 1,800 complaints made. I saw somewhere else it was over 2,000. It keeps rising.

Link.

I heard the 2000+/- figure too. How does a figure rise more than tenfold in the week following the programme?

I think I know.

It keeps rising because the media keeps repeating the comment so "Disgusted of Little Whinging" has more opportunities to read/hear/see it.

The BBC seems to be belatedly showing some sense with the way they've handled the news website over the last couple days, not giving the story the same undue prominence that the Brand/Ross incident had (and when I say undue, I mean, really - you'd have barely realised there was a recession, a US Presidential election looming, dangerous freak weather in the UK, outrages in the Congo etc. when that story was at its height). They've learned that too much reporting can cause things to get out of hand, I suspect. And Ofcom and the BBC are aware that the vast majority of the complaints were raised as a result of the subsequent reporting rather than the original broadcast. Let's hope that if they are compelled to respond, it is with the sense of proportion they seem to have found recently.

And even Canada's National Post is coming out in support of Jeremy :)

If they think Top Gear will be axed or Clarkson sacked, they've got another thing coming. The people who complained are so deluded. They're just jumping on the band wagon from Brand/Ross fiasco.

Hmmmm 2,000 complaints............400 millions viewers, which is the bigger influence?

Last edited:
that's was really and excellent read! Thanks for sharing. Is it really the case in UK that schools don't let kids outside, when its a bit slippery??

It sure is. We have developed into a nanny state obsessed with "Health & Safety" where nobody, particularly in the public sector, is willing to run the risk of being blamed or sued if anything goes wrong.

There was a case recently where a teacher who was supervising a lunchtime break was sued and lost her job after one of the pupils jumped down from one step up while pretending to be Batman, fell, hit his head and died. The parents caused a big stink and said the teacher wasn't doing her job properly and it was her fault their son died. Can you fucking believe that? Anyone with common sense would accept it was an accident. I can sympathise as a parent with their grief but that was too much IMHO.

While not on the same scale my son broke his arm at pre-school last June (in the soft playroom would you believe) and we were contacted by a representative of the Local Council who had to conduct a full Health and Safety review of the whole business as a result and who wanted to know if we wanted to make a complaint or take formal action!!! It was an accident for crying out loud. If we had made a fuss the place could have been closed down and over 100 families would have been in the shit with no childcare when they had to be at work, and nursery places are already at a premium. They are so rule obsessed they are blinded to the consequences of their policies!

It sure is. We have developed into a nanny state obsessed with "Health & Safety" where nobody, particularly in the public sector, is willing to run the risk of being blamed or sued if anything goes wrong.

There was a case recently where a teacher who was supervising a lunchtime break was sued and lost her job after one of the pupils jumped down from one step up while pretending to be Batman, fell, hit his head and died. The parents caused a big stink and said the teacher wasn't doing her job properly and it was her fault their son died. Can you fucking believe that? Anyone with common sense would accept it was an accident. I can sympathise as a parent with their grief but that was too much IMHO.

While not on the same scale my son broke his arm at pre-school last June (in the soft playroom would you believe) and we were contacted by a representative of the Local Council who had to conduct a full Health and Safety review of the whole business as a result and who wanted to know if we wanted to make a complaint or take formal action!!! It was an accident for crying out loud. If we had made a fuss the place could have been closed down and over 100 families would have been in the shit with no childcare when they had to be at work, and nursery places are already at a premium. They are so rule obsessed they are blinded to the consequences of their policies!

the normal rule of politics and media is that someone has to be made a scapegoat or targeted so that the attention shifts away from them and any negative press doesn't get reported.
you'll never see some mp standing up and saying "you no what, i am to blame, it is my fault and i frakked up."