Call for UK to ban motorcycles?

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N...08-mps-told-to-ban-motorcycles/?&R=EPI-103992

The time has come to consider banning motorcycles from the roads, police chiefs have told MPs.
They are ?motorised toys? which may not belong on public highways, the Association of Chief Police Officers told the Commons Transport Committee.

The association based its call on the false claim that production motorcycles are ?readily available? with top speeds of over 200mph. In fact not a single production motorcycle has broken the 200mph barrier.

The association said: ?Production machines are readily available for use on our roads with top speeds in excess of 200mph. Motorcycles are seen in the UK to be, in the majority of instances, vehicles of choice rather than necessity and one might consider if our congested roads are any longer fit for purpose for these motorised toys.?
The comments, which are policy recommendations, have been published in a report by the committee on road safety. They were made in response to the committee question: ?What further policies, not already widely used, might be considered for adoption and what evidence is there for their success??

The ACPO memo calls for the creation of no-motorcycle zones and points to power caps. It states: ?There is a need for radical thinking in respect of motorcycles, including consideration of engine capability and the creation of protection zones where all motorcycles other than those specifically permitted would be prohibited.?

The association also calls for motorcycles to be fitted with chips to allow police to identify them from a distance, and tougher penalties for illegal number plates. It says: ?The detection of motorcycling offences is problematic, encouraging non-compliance. This includes Vehicle Excise Duty evasion on a massive scale.

'For this reason, stricter penalties should be introduced for non-compliant registration plates and further work should be done on the development of such products as number plates containing chips that will allow automated vehicle identification, even at high speeds.?

In fact official Government research shows just 6.5% of motorcycles are untaxed.
MCN asked ACPO to defend its claims. The association has yet to do so.
Read the report, including ACPO's comments, here: www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200708/cmselect/cmtran/460/460.pdf
Guess which chief constable is likely to have signed off the ACPO recommendations. Here's a clue: Last year he was banned from driving for speeding. For more on this, get MCN, on sale October 12.

I highly doubt it would happen, but it's interesting to see how much a few people are willing to distort the truth.

And what makes them think it's a good idea to lie about statistics that are so easily double-checked?

Last edited:
There was an interview with the guy that's in charge of speedcameras in Sweden.
And he said that there are fewer % that are speeding on bikes that in cars..

And that's despite the fact that bikes cannot be fined by speedcameras here..

Last edited:
And what makes them think it's a good idea to lie about statistics that are so easily double-checked?
Because they know that most people won't bother double-checking. They'll just take the word of the officials and go along with the gov'ts plan to extort more taxes, fines, etc.

I don't see a ban happening, but the other stuff, like chips on the bike for identification and power caps would certainly seem to be possible in the UK.

There was an interview with the guy that's in charge of speedcameras in Sweden.
And he said that there are fewer % that are speeding on bikes that in cars..

And that's despite the fact that bikes cannot be fined by speedcameras here..

I think there's more inclination to be safe on a motorbike than there is to be in a car.

And those bikes are so bad for the environment, cars get so much better MPG and CO2/Km than cars. Also they take so much space on the already congested roads. /Sarcasm

yay fun with toyz!

f2d2c6c539.jpg

wet-cement.jpg

Joking aside, I wonder how many lives this bike has helped save.

92528790_a793d6c348.jpg

These guys should stop shuffling paper and actually go out on the fucking beat for once with some motorbike cops. There are some places cars cannot go in the time needed and that's when you need a motorbike.

Maybe Clarkson was on to something when he made the comment about people who complain about these sorts of things are doing so because their lives haven't turned out the way they had hoped and they want everyone else to suffer too.

I would love to see the statistics of motorcyclists killing themselves by riding like idiots at high speed vs. those killed by cars whose drivers weren't paying attention. Something tells me the latter happens much more often so then I'd call for cars to be banned in the name of safety for motorcyclists. Maybe then the ACPO will realize just how ridiculous they're making themselves look.

I think there's more inclination to be safe on a motorbike than there is to be in a car.

Yes. But there were some retards crying about the fact that bikes cannot get caught by speedcameras here.. So he went out and said that it really didn't matter...

Even if they did ban motorcycles, the same people would crash cars instead. Which mode of transportation chosen does not determine the likelihood of crashing.

And if you crash a car, you'll do a lot more damage to other people and property than if you crashed a motorcycle.

^quote of the day...

I must admit I've never been in Britain, but from my comfy chair it looks as if the British police is seriously fucked up, to the point that I start wondering if it's doing more good than evil.

I'm not talking about this specific story (it could've happened anywhere), but about the cases when the police terrorizes people for no good reason, doesn't react to gang crime, etc...

Is it a culture difference thing? Am I reading this completely wrong?

Most garbage legislation is passed by taking the truth and distorting it to the point where dental records are required to identify.

You can ban water if you know how to look convincing enough.

Most garbage legislation is passed by taking the truth and distorting it to the point where dental records are required to identify.

Di-Hydrogen Monoxide is lethal in the correct doses :p

Di-Hydrogen Monoxide is lethal in the correct doses :p

In fact in a gas state it causes instant burning and possibly death. If inhaled lung function becomes disrupted and death may result. It's the leading component in acid rain. The FHA found that dihydrogen-monoxide corrosion costs $276 billion per year to repair. Causes significant reduction in capabilities when in contact with automotive braking systems.

I could have fun with this. :lol:

In fact in a gas state it causes instant burning and possibly death. If inhaled lung function becomes disrupted and death may result. It's the leading component in acid rain. The FHA found that dihydrogen-monoxide corrosion costs $276 billion per year to repair. Causes significant reduction in capabilities when in contact with automotive braking systems.

I could have fun with this. :lol:

Di-Hydrogen Monoxide is also the primary ingreident in many pesticides and chemicals. It can also cause mold which can lead to respritory infections and even death. Di-Hydrogen Monoxide is both directly and indirectly one of the planet's biggest killers :tvhorror:

:lol:

^ Not to mention that dihydrogen-monoxide is everywhere: in our homes, our restaruants, our hospitals, and our schools. In fact there's a strong chance there's a large quantity of the stuff in that coffee cup right next to you!!

actually...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3erdgVVTw[/YOUTUBE]

Guess which chief constable is likely to have signed off the ACPO recommendations. Here's a clue: Last year he was banned from driving for speeding.

My brain isn't working very clearly, so could somebody confirm to me if i have this right. The guy who likes to speed is now angry because he got caught and wants to make everybodies life hell?

I will say that the way that PDF is wrote reminds me of exactly why i ran away from the democrats as soon as i got back from England a few years ago. Now i know leftists don't have to hate cars, but in its current state they are anything but "liberal" when it comes to motorists rights. Sometimes I'm worried I'm the only person in the world who still believes in a safer and freer motorway.

Last edited:
'...one might consider if our congested roads are any longer fit for purpose for these motorised toys.?

Yes, take those motorcycle riders and put them all in their own cars, they'll take up much less space on those congested roads. :roll: