$300 [CAD] for a computer for my grandparents

Top Geek

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 240SX
I've got $300 to throw at a new computer for my grandparents for Christmas. This price excludes a keyboard, mouse and monitor. They do not need anything fancy, just something they can use to play solitaire, check email and surf the web. The very bottom-of-the-line is already more than enough computer for them.

Things I've considered...

Dell Vostro 200
It's the right price, but I refuse to let them use Vista. I don't think I need to explain why.

Asus Eee Box
Seems great and it comes with XP, but it's a bit over the price limit. Anyone know where I can find one for very close to $300 in Canada?

Building it myself
I'll put together a basic computer myself and throw Ubuntu on it. I'll do this if I need to, but it would be easier not to deal with the frustrations that usually accompany this option.

Any other suggestions? Are there any vendors that sell a PC in this price range bundled with a Linux installation?

I'd say the EEE PC because it's small simple and they can't really screw anything up

I'd say the EEE PC because it's small simple and they can't really screw anything up

Well, I don't know about Belgium but most elder people over here wouldn't be very happy with the tiny thing.

An example:
1549_AUDIOLINE_TEL_49_CLIP_195_158.jpg

You know what I mean? ;)

I go with a cheap prebuilt tower. As much as I like building computers, I don't want to be tech support for them, plus, you really aren't saving money at that level.

Well, I don't know about Belgium but most elder people over here wouldn't be very happy with the tiny thing.

An example:
1549_AUDIOLINE_TEL_49_CLIP_195_158.jpg

You know what I mean? ;)

That reminded me of the 50ish year old gentleman that bought my 21" CRT monitors. He said something along the lines of "these are big enough I should actually be able to see something on them" :lol:

Vostro 200s are solid little boxes of tricks. We have loads at work and not one has caused any problems yet. If we replaced all the old cack machines with them I might be out of a job. Get one with a Core2 and a card reader and they can't loose you're photos. They're also a peice of piss to maintain and exchange parts. :)

Don't get anything stupidly small, they'll think it's gone and call the police, or try and put it in the video recorder...

Last edited:
^ But will it run Ubuntu or are there drivers available for XP?

Last edited:
the EEE is quite small but I was going for simple/cheap more than small.

If it's used for email and the intertubes, what more do you need.
Besides, can't you add a bigger keyboard on that?

They don't want a laptop, and 4GB won't be enough, as they will be storing photos and stuff.

Dell used to let you downgrade to XP, dunno if they still do...

If you follow the link to the Vostro 200, the second item on the configuration page is "downgrade to XP", it costs 90 dollars though which may put it over budget. Bear in mind that if you own any retail version of XP, that it's good for 3 computers so you could install it yourself while still being legal. Other options (while not condoned) are also available :).

Another thing, Vostros are usually only available to businesses (at least they are over here in Spain).

As far as the "Oooh Dells are crap" argument... (not surfaced here yet, but just wait a while) we have over 30 Dells (Dimension 4600s, Dimension 8400s and Vostro 200s (the slim tower version) and a few odds & sods, all with XP) at work, we have had only 1 problem in 4 years, a mouse which arrived under warranty the next day... I like Dells.

Last edited:
If you follow the link to the Vostro 200, the second item on the configuration page is "downgrade to XP", it costs 90 dollars though which may put it over budget. Bear in mind that if you own any retail version of XP, that it's good for 3 computers so you could install it yourself while still being legal.
Oh...really? Cool. I have a copy of Home and Pro.

It's the right price, but I refuse to let them use Vista. I don't think I need to explain why.

Actually, I don't see a problem with it. Save yourself the time and effort and they'll hardly know the difference anyway. I've been using Vista for a while now and see no reason to go back to XP, although I wouldn't put in the effort to upgrade to it either.

^ But will it run Ubuntu or are there drivers available for XP?

Dunno what you mean there but they run XP very well indeed, even 64 bit runs perfectly. All drivers from Dell work with XP and Vista.

Dunno what you mean there but they run XP very well indeed, even 64 bit runs perfectly. All drivers from Dell work with XP and Vista.
Some newer machines that bundle Vista have hardware for which XP drivers are not even written any more, which is why I was asking. I just checked and it seems they give you all the drivers you need for XP as well.

Last edited:
I go with a cheap prebuilt tower. As much as I like building computers, I don't want to be tech support for them, plus, you really aren't saving money at that level.

That reminded me of the 50ish year old gentleman that bought my 21" CRT monitors. He said something along the lines of "these are big enough I should actually be able to see something on them" :lol:

Wow i have Never actually seen a 21 inch CRT monitor, that must have been awesome back in the day.

And your solution to this is Linux?
Spoken like someone who's never used Ubuntu.

Seriously, all they'll need are the icons for "Solitaire", "Digital Camera", "Email" and "Internet" and they'll be set for life. Plus, they'll never need to worry about viruses or other security nuisances.

Spoken like someone who's never used Ubuntu.

I tried Ubuntu, and when it was going to require creating a considerable amount of code just to use the wireless, I realised that it is still years behind Vista in user friendliness. Like it or not, no version of Linux is suitable for people who are relatively computer illiterate.