iPhone 3G or HTC Touch HD

ahpadt

Forum Addict
Debating whether to get an iPhone or the new Touch HD..

iPhone:

+ Amazing GUI
+ Easy to use
+ Feels fast when you use it
+ 2000 NOK / 280 USD cheaper than the Touch HD
+ Amazing MP3 player

- Limited possibilities of getting fancy software
- No ultra-superfast internet connections
- The negative "Apple aura"

Touch HD:

+ I've had WM on my last 3 or 4 mobiles, so im familiar with it.
+ Better screen and resolution than the iPhone
+ Tons and tons of apps
+ Much easier to sync. Might even be possible to sync with the dash when I get a car.

+- Installing WM6.5/7.0 or Android isnt a valid argument. Won't happen,

- It's silly expensive
- More time consuming to use since you might need the "pen" to do some special stuff.
- The current WM is seriously stoneage. TouchFlo helps, but it doesnt change the phone.

What do you reckon? My current phone is a HTC S710 which is sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Last edited:
I don't think "limited aps" should count against the iPhone. There are tons for it...

Touch HD

The Touch HD is less business oriented (which you probably won't care about) and feels bigger than the iPhone, but in the end, it's always a comfort thing. Use both and see, sometimes it's worth the pricier one if you feel better using it, not always about apps :)

The biggest drawbacks to the iPhone IMO are the need to install iTunes if you wish to sync it to a PC and the fact that you can't simply replace the battery.

I went through this same decision a couple of months ago and bought a Blackberry Bold 9000. With a 16Gig microSD it has more storage than an iPhone, all the multimedia functions and the push e-mail function is brilliant. The only thing it doesn't have is the accelerometer and all the applications that can use it. I haven't found a mobile application that I want that doesn't have a Blackberry version .... well actually, there is one .... I haven't found a torrent client for it :lol:.

It is so nice to have a propper qwerty keyboard for texting and entering names, numbers and appointments.

One reason to go for the Blackberry here (in Australia) is that my service provider has a specific Blackberry data plan which gives me unlimited 3.5G data for $30/month ... if I had an iPhone, I'd be lucky to get 700MB a month for that price.

^ The biggest drawback about the iPhone is indeed iTunes, which I've never liked. I doubt I'll sync it that often anyway - I prolly sync my current phone once every month..

we use HTC's predominately at work because of the better availability of enterprise software/configuration for winmo.

^ The biggest drawback about the iPhone is indeed iTunes, which I've never liked. I doubt I'll sync it that often anyway - I prolly sync my current phone once every month..

Last time I had iTunes installed it constantly wanted to take over as default music player ... since it took ages to load compared to WMP, this was a real pain.

I sync my phone 3 or 4 times a week at home and at work ... via bluetooth. The windows synch center (in vista) is pretty good ... I used to have an O2 Atom ... but that (phone) put me off windows mobile smart phones ... it often crashed and the phone function was really bad.

If you want to go about your day with Steve Jobs' throbbing penis in your ass, please go for the iPhone. If on the other hand see yourself as a free thinking individual get a Touch HD.

we use HTC's predominately at work because of the better availability of enterprise software/configuration for winmo.

And WinMo devices can be managed by group policies, and can be remotely erased in case of theft, to name a few extra pluses for enterprise use.

Iphone has 10,000 apps in the app store and way more if you jail break.

It's fast, has a great UI and internet speeds are good on 3G.

I would get the iphone.

Some people seem to think it's fun or cool to mock the iphone. Don't listen to them.

My experiences with windows mobile phones was very poor and the iphone was even better than I was hoping.

Iphone has 10,000 apps in the app store and way more if you jail break.

98% of them are utter shit and the rest have very limited usability due to Apple not wanting outsiders to better their precious.

It's fast, has a great UI and internet speeds are good on 3G.
The HTC will be just as fast in TouchFLO

The UI is great, but in my experience it will feel.. Fisherprice'y after a while due to the locked nature of it.

Both phones are 3G or 3.5G

I would get the iphone.

We know

Some people seem to think it's fun or cool to mock the iphone. Don't listen to them.

:cry:

My experiences with windows mobile phones was very poor and the iphone was even better than I was hoping.

For everyday use you will be using TouchFLO which is excellent and from playing with a Omnia (Much smaller screen) Even the drop down menus in WM where usable with a finger.

I'm eager to try something new after having 3 or 4 WM mobiles, so I think it's time for some fruit. ;)

Last edited:
At work I've got users with HTC Touch Dual and HTC Touch Diamonds and both of them really suck.

Slow as hell, you need to use the Stylus to do anything... connectivity is just random, WiFi drops all the time and doesn't seem to remember settings (Touch Dual doesn't even have WiFi), the list is endless...

In my old job we had i-mate k-jams, which were rebranded HTC... wizards, I think, they were terrible too.

I have an iPod Touch and it's a breeze to use compared to the HTC stuff. I've really gone off HTC and WindowsMobile, it seems there's no perfect device.

What are you planning to use it for? If it's just for picking up email and stuff, I'd get the iPhone.

From what I can gather from people who've used both, they're both pretty rubbish at being phones...

As much as I personally prefer the HTC, it sounds to me like you'd be better off with the iPhone.