Morris Marina Men - Mad!

EPIC!

How can a person possibly love a Marina? I mean, somehow it manages to not look dreary, but the matter of the fact is it's a rubbish car :p
I don't say I support what TG did, but the guys in the Marina forum took it far too seriously, like they destroyed a Countach or something :?

If it's a British car, someone, somewhere will find a reason to fall in love with it. Even if it's essentially a bag of bolts.

The same is true of Americans, they get very protective of some of their ludicrous cars.

The model has been widely identified as symptomatic of the problems facing the industry at that time, with poor build quality, handling likened to a "skip on wheels"[1] and outdated design. T

Indeed. It was cars like this, built by people who no longer cared about design, performance or quality that ended the British car industry.

If we had focused on vehicles like the Rolls Royce, Lotus, Aston Martin and even MG/Rover in it's heyday we might actually still have some form of car production.

There was a time when we produced some magnificent cars.

The Marina was not one of them.

I have never understood what people find so amusing about destroying cars, I don't care at all about Marinas but I can understand why they, being "fans" of the car (no need to insult them because they like it), are upset.

I don't actually like to see cars being destroyed either. I hate the idea of something that works being ruined for no reason.

But, that said, Top Gear bought the car, it's up to them what they do with it.

Those guys are crying because for some reason they think they have some ownership rights over something they sold. If they care about the cars, either don't sell it, or only sell it to other members of the fan community.

I don't actually like to see cars being destroyed either. I hate the idea of something that works being ruined for no reason.

But, that said, Top Gear bought the car, it's up to them what they do with it.

Those guys are crying because for some reason they think they have some ownership rights over something they sold. If they care about the cars, either don't sell it, or only sell it to other members of the fan community.

Well, when you sell your car and after that you spot it on the street, don't you like to see it's been well treated? Maybe I'm a rare person but when this happened to me I spent like five minutes walking round the car (and it was a Jetta 1.6, nothing special at all). Now imagine that the BBC buys your car and you feel happy beacuse you are going to watch it featured on TV...and then they burn it, how would you feel?

Last edited:
I believe that destroying a car for the sake of destruction, even if it is a 'bad' car should not be done; that being said if done for entertainment value like with the Hilux (who didn't think THAT was funny) then there is nothing wrong with the practice.

TG has demolished or ruined many cars in their endless pursuit of making good television like the amphicar, the Reliant Shuttle, or the Hilux to name but a very few, so for me the little Morris while anti-climactic, was still good fun.

I can sort of see their point ... I just don't get why they love marinas.

Imagine a car you love, like the Skyline R34. Now imagine there are only 200 or so left in the world that actually work (quite a few years from now) ... then watch the top gear lads buy one, smash it up then torch it. You'd probably feel a bit gutted seeing one of a rare breed going up in smoke for the sake of a few laughs. At least the other 99.99% of the population found the smoking marina funny though, huh? :D

I guess the forum guys just really love morris marinas. Maybe that's why they joined the forum.

Just a guess.

Yeah, but it is a Morris Marina. Fine, you looked after one religiously. Cared for it every day. But... its a Marina. Thats like having a pet slug. You might love it, you might care for it, but the cold hard truth is that no-one else is going to appreciate little Squidgy when he's gone.

Thats like having a pet slug. You might love it, you might care for it, but the cold hard truth is that no-one else is going to appreciate little Squidgy when he's gone.

Private_Baldrick.jpg

Private Baldrick disagrees, but can't do anything about it.

Baldrick might have pretended to love that slug, but we all know he was seeing a turnip on the side.

Maybe I'm a rare person but when this happened to me I spent like five minutes walking round the car (and it was a Jetta 1.6, nothing special at all). Now imagine that the BBC buys your car and you feel happy beacuse you are going to watch it featured on TV...and then they burn it, how would you feel?

I would not careless, I would be thrilled it got shown on TG destoyed or not. I did the same thing with a 97 420 Rover SLDi I once had.

What I don't get is, he sold it on ebay to the highest bidder no less, didn't look for a British Leyland enthusiast and to TG and expected them to look after it. If he cared so much about his beloved POS should not have put it on ebay. This is top gear what did they expect, drive it and do a piece on the marvel to the world that was once BL and put a Marina on a plinth in the studio next to a Hi-Lux. They filled a Dolly, SD1 and a princess with water for gods sake and in the case of the Rover and the Dolomite they where a damn side better cars than the Marina (maybe only in a cosmetic sence). The only car Clarkson hates more than a Marina is perhaps a Ital or a Nissan Sunny. Dude must have known something bad was going to happen to his "baby" so he is either attention seeking (with all of us looking at his forum) he has done a good job or insanely stupid (with a love of a Marina it might just be the latter).

Last edited:
WHY? You can't polish a turd. Still, better than a k-car I guess ;)

Actually, Mythbuster took that on and busted it. You can, in fact, polish a turd.