2009 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

"We want to know the revenues better so we can decrease the cost of the tickets. Then we have the matter of traditional tracks rather than exotic tracks just because they have a nice skyline. We have to discuss the show. How to promote. I'm not prepared any more to have all this dictated to us by outside without any control."

For the fucking win! From his recent actions, I believe that Ecclestone has lost touch with what makes F1 the sport it is. His worst offence was welcoming the influx of manufacturers as in the end it meant more money for him. The calendar is sold to those willing to pay the highest at the expense of traditional tracks such as Silverstone, Spa and Montreal. The sort of circuits that are effectively written into F1's dna. Nobody gives a shit about China or Valencia, and it appears that Ferrari are no longer prepared to accept this. Ecclestone and Mosley won a victory against the GPMA because they bought Ferrari's support. It'll be a lot harder this time round if Ferrari throw their hat in with the other teams.

OT...

Check this out for a F1 spark show:

b191.jpg

And no, it's not Photoshopped.

Go Luca! Those comments show that he is a real racer at heart. Bernie has completely lost touch with reality. He will try to maintain control no matter what the cost.

Perhaps we should set up a paypall account, so everyone who wants can contribute to the assassin we should be hiring to get him out of the way.

Or pay up Slavica's divorce lawyer and help her drain Mr. Ecclestone of every single penny he has. Forcing him to commit seppuku with a blade from a BMW turbocharger.

This Ferrari deal is insane. Let's just say it explains a lot....

Richards brokers Honda bailout
Sunday 21st December 2008

David Richards has jetted to Kuwait to broker a possible Middle Eastern takeover of Honda.

The Japanese giants have decided to withdraw from Formula One and are currently seeking a buyer for the Brackley-based team.

Richards, a former Benetton team director, has ambitions of entering F1 with his Prodrive outfit, but prohibitive costs have so far delayed the company's entry into the sport.

However, the 56-year-old is now holding talks with the Kuwait-based Investment Dar Company (TID) over a potential buy-out of Honda.

TID are shareholders in Richards' Prodrive team and could possibly raise the funds required to hand the Honda set-up a lifeline.

"There are a group of people in the Middle East who want to support a Formula One entry for me and have been very specific about it for a year now. But we have to agree when the timing is right," Richard told The Mail on Sunday.

"When you sit down in the cold light of day and realise the liability you would be taking on, and the huge restructuring of staff and resources that will be needed, investors will have to think long and hard before taking a punt," he added.

"You will have to bridge a big gap in finance, probably for three years, before balancing the accounts."

For his part, Richard confirmed he is eager to make a comeback to F1.

He said: "I have not ruled out getting back into Formula One, it's something I am very interested to do."

The newspaper also claims Achilleas Kallakis and Vijay Mallya are interested in buying Honda.

Source

Knew it wouldn't be long before Richards' name cropped up.

Or pay up Slavica's divorce lawyer and help her drain Mr. Ecclestone of every single penny he has. Forcing him to commit seppuku with a blade from a BMW turbocharger.
Or we could build an electric chair from BMW's KERS...

David Richards has jetted to Kuwait to broker a possible Middle Eastern takeover of Honda.
Eeeeeeeeeeeexcellent.

Next thing we know, HondaF1 will be making a return to the forums under a new username...

Howett backs revenue sharing rethink

Toyota 's F1 president John Howett has backed calls for a revaluation of the way Formula One's commercial income is distributed - saying the worldwide financial downturn makes it essential a rethink is given some thought.

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, in his role as chairman of the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA), angered Ecclestone last week when he said the next step for teams was for them to get a greater share of the commercial money the sport generates.

Di Montezemolo's stance has been supported by Howett, the vice-chairman of FOTA, who believes that F1's 50-50 money split between the teams and their owners is not good enough judging by the way revenue is divided up in other sports.

When asked whether talks with Ecclestone to discuss the matter were now the next step for FOTA, Howett told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I believe so. If you look at other professional sports, the percentage of revenues that is distributed to participants is probably much higher.

"I believe in the Champions' League it is upwards of 96-97 percent of revenues that is redistributed depending on where you finish in the championship, whereas at the moment we receive 50 percent if EBITDA (Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization). So given the current circumstances people would like to reopen that discussion."

Howett says that as well as a push to increase revenue for teams, FOTA would continue to look at ways to further reduce costs beyond what was agreed with the FIA earlier this month.

"I think it (what has already been agreed) is a very pragmatic approach that will allow all teams to reduce costs significantly, (plus) the DNA of F1 is retained.

"The intention of FOTA is to continue in the early part of next year, once the initial wave of improvements has been introduced, to look at further changes."

He also believes that the benefits of the offer of cheap customer engines to independent teams go far beyond simply the pure cost terms.

Speaking about moves to offer 5 million Euro engine deals, Howett said: "I think it is an extremely good package for independent teams.

"The manufacturers are probably supplying cash flow support to teams. We have parts in production that a small independent supplier will probably not be prepared to do, so there are many, many advantages beyond just the cost reduction that has been put on the table."

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/72552

Lets hope Bernie took his pills before he sees that.