Hyundai Genisis > Infiniti G37. Yeah, really.

--------- 0-60 ---- 1/4 mile ---- skid pad ---- MSRP (w/diff)
Genesis --6.4------ 14.5s ---------.88g-------$29500
370z-----5.1------- 13.3s --------.97g-------$32930

To me, it would be worth the extra $3430 to buy the substantially better car.

What about the warranty with the Hyundai? That must have some additional value.

What about the warranty with the Hyundai? That must have some additional value.
Not sure about you but to me performance cars were never about warranty. Especially if you are talking something so obviously aimed at enthusiasts. Those things will get tuned no question about it.

On Thread.
Idiotic comparison. The G37 is a luxury sports coupe, it has power and decent performance but at the end of the day it is aimed at those who are unlikely to want to shift gears themselves. As pointed out above a much better comparison is a 370Z which is a focused driver's car and is nearly made for the track.

The 2.0T is pretty interesting though since I suspect more power would be a breeze.

It seems alot of people do not realize what the engine code is of the Genesis's 4cyl is. 4B11. The new EVO motor. So you know more power is going to be easy.

Wait...really? I knew Mitsu/hyundai/Chrysler shared the engine platform but Hyundai just flat out swiped the Evo engine? I'm still curious to find out if the Chrysler 2.4l cranks will fit in the Mitsu/hyundai blocks.

That makes the Genesis Coupe > Z right there. Not sure why they'd compare it to the Infiniti G.

I thought the Torsen only came with the track pack? If you put the 3.8 in and the track pack on it's rivaling the 370z in price. I also highly doubt that the 370z comes with an open or locking diff for 30 grand. I don't see how it couldn't be an LSD or Torsen.

Nissan pretty much always just uses viscous diffs if they go "LSD." Obviously the GT-R is an exception. Seeing as the Infiniti G37 has one, i'm willing to bet the 370z gets one (as an option) as well.

Last edited:
Nissan pretty much always just uses viscous diffs if they go "LSD." Obviously the GT-R is an exception. Seeing as the Infiniti G37 has one, i'm willing to bet the 370z gets one (as an option) as well.

So it doesn't come with an LSD of any sort standard? That blows.

Yes, I just checked the site. Viscous diff on the sport package for $32.9k. I'd pay the extra.

Since this is an automotive site this probably doesn't matter (performance being first and foremost), but the Genesis has standard Bluetooth in the 3.8 Track, and the Nissan does not until you get the premium package. Same with the power driver's seat and other commodities that most people don't care about. That means that the price difference between the Z and the Hyundai are that much more significant.

If money were no object, then no question I'd get the Z. But money is always a consideration, and the Hyundai is a compelling argument. The Touring w/ Sport package on the Z is 37 large, the Hyundai gets away with most of the same trim for 32 large.

I have to say though, compared to the G37 and 370Z, the Genesis is a very good looking car.

If it weren't for the inevitable depreciation free fall most Korean cars are cursed with, I'd consider the Hyundai over the Nissans.

If you keep it for ten years, the duration of the warranty, the depreciation doesn't matter.

I have to say though, compared to the G37 and 370Z, the Genesis is a very good looking car.

If it weren't for the inevitable depreciation free fall most Korean cars are cursed with, I'd consider the Hyundai over the Nissans.

I tend to keep cars for a long time, and with Hyundai's warranty it's hard to justify selling it before 7 years. With the free-fall depreciation of performance and luxury cars right now I see it a little different - the Genesis may depreciate (so will the Infiniti) but with a lower initial cost you have less to loose.

Granted. But regardless, eventually you will sell it, or crash it and possibly receive an insurance settlement, and that amount will not be as high.

I would still chose the Genesis over either Nissan, but I have a sad history of buying cars with shit resale value. :p

Granted. But regardless, eventually you will sell it, or crash it and possibly receive an insurance settlement, and that amount will not be as high.

I would still chose the Genesis over either Nissan, but I have a sad history of buying cars with shit resale value. :p

I don't know about your climate exactly in America, but in Australia at least, resale value means squat. ALL cars lose a bulk of value straight off the showroom floor and will take the biggest hit in depreciation in the first 3 years. No car or make is exempt.

Since this is an automotive site this probably doesn't matter (performance being first and foremost), but the Genesis has standard Bluetooth in the 3.8 Track, and the Nissan does not until you get the premium package. Same with the power driver's seat and other commodities that most people don't care about. That means that the price difference between the Z and the Hyundai are that much more significant.

If money were no object, then no question I'd get the Z. But money is always a consideration, and the Hyundai is a compelling argument. The Touring w/ Sport package on the Z is 37 large, the Hyundai gets away with most of the same trim for 32 large.

One thing to consider is that 90% of people who get the Z don't much care for the amenities. It is unlikely to be your only car (at least stateside) so is not likely to be driven by someone else often so power seats are useless. Bluetooth is a nice touch but really headsets are small and cheap if you really need that. Only thing that would be very useful is having a GPS screen in the dash but considering that you could build a carputer for under 300 including a touch screen and a bluetooth or USB GPS antenna it really is not that big of a deal.

While the Z is more expensive it has better performance out of the box and pretty good tuning potential. You also need to keep in mind that the 350Z is still very much around and for sale and those are only about 20K on average (in NJ/NY area).

It seems that many people forget that new cars still have to compete with used cars as they are still being sold and for the most part would be on par or cheaper.

Last edited:
Two weeks ago, InsideLine released a comparison test pitting the V6 Hyundai Genesis Coupe against the Infiniti G37. Although the Genesis posted some less-than-stellar performance numbers, IL gave it the win on account of its ability to deliver The Thrills for thousands less than the G37. Hyundai, however, wasn't willing to leave "good enough" alone.

The automaker tagged along when IL took the Genesis back to the track and discovered the rear wheel alignment was off spec and the front tires were worn and coupled with brand new rear rubber. Additionally, one of the major complaints IL's track tards had was the Genesis' ECU programming, which cut power at inopportune times and had an adverse affect on acceleration runs and at-the-limit drivability.

After running its extensive round of testing again, IL was able to pull off a 0-60 run of 5.9 seconds (versus 6.4 seconds last month and much closer to the G37's 5.7-second time), along with a quarter-mile sprint of 14.1 at 99.3 mph (versus 14.5 at 97.9 mph, or just 0.2 seconds off the G). Braking distances stayed virtually the same and the new slalom test returned a 69.0-mph run versus last month's 68.2-mph results.

More importantly than the stats, the reprogrammed ECU settings are available at dealerships, so anyone that's already rolling in their new Genesis Coupe can head to their nearest retailer and get a reflash for free - and maybe a new rear-end alignment. Thanks for the tip Loren!

It seems that many people forget that new cars still have to compete with used cars as they are still being sold and for the most part would be on par or cheaper.

Using that logic, you can argue that in a few years, a Genesis coupe will have depreciated a fair bit and will be cheaper than the 350z or 370z (assuming the depreciation of Hyundai cars are still as steep). Here in Canadaland, the 370Z coupe starts at $39,998 compared to the Genesis Coupe V6 starts $32,995. No matter how you put it, that's nearly $7000 worth of savings! $7000 will definitely buy a lot of tuning potential.

Last edited:
I really cannot believe that we're talking, seriously, about tuning a Hyundai. I cannot.

I really cannot believe that we're talking, seriously, about tuning a Hyundai. I cannot.

Ten years ago, people couldn't believe that anyone was seriously talking about tuning an Audi.

Twenty years ago, people couldn't believe that anyone was seriously talking about tuning a Mitsubishi.

Thirty years ago, people couldn't believe that anyone was seriously talking about tuning *anything* not made in the USA.

See a pattern here yet?

You know what? If I'm dropping 30 large on a car, it's going to be a used 'Vette or a new Camaro.

i'm impressed. i always liked the hyundai brand as a practical choice but none of their offerings have been attractive enough to pull the trigger. most company cars in korea are hyundai (naturally) but outside of korea, it's tough to love it enough to buy one with your own money.

now things are looking different. now if only people can get over the cliche "pay over $40k for a hyundai??!!" then they're in business.