next chapter in the GT-R story: software update enables a 3.3 sec 0-60 with VDC on

Hahahahaha, I'd like to see most of you guys and myself included try and manually launch a GT-R in a fashion similar to the way the computer does it.

If you like to do things yourself, get out and run. :D

It's a sports car. Not a racing car. Therefore, it does not have to be optimal, just fun. Launch control is no fun. I'd rather do it myself. I don't care how many more seconds slower I'll be.

Running is easy. Driving a car is hard.

PS, a manual launch is slower in a GTR because there is no clutch control. If the GTR was a proper manual it would be faster off the line... until the first shift came into play.

Last edited:
It's a sports car. Not a racing car. Therefore, it does not have to be optimal, just fun. Launch control is no fun. I'd rather do it myself. I don't care how many more seconds slower I'll be.

Running is easy. Driving a car is hard.

PS, a manual launch is slower in a GTR because there is no clutch control. If the GTR was a proper manual it would be faster off the line... until the first shift came into play.

It would not be faster off the line because driver error would come into play. When the computer controls the launch, there's absolutely no chance any error can occur. It induces the exact right amount of wheelspin, with the exact right amount of throttle input and clutch slip to acheive the absolute fastest time that is possibly attainable, and it'll do it time after time without fault.

It would not be faster off the line because driver error would come into play. When the computer controls the launch, there's absolutely no chance any error can occur. It induces the exact right amount of wheelspin, with the exact right amount of throttle input and clutch slip to acheive the absolute fastest time that is possibly attainable, and it'll do it time after time without fault.

Thats what he is saying, no matter how hard you accelerate it, you wont get it wrong. For fun, you should be getting it wrong. Use launch control when you are racing, or trying to do so seriously :p

Last edited:
So, basically almost nothing Porsche or Ferrari makes is really impressive? :p

I don't think that way :p

At least they make something that is interesting :p They don't put 1001 computers in their cars just to keep them on the road, do they?

I don't think that way :p

At least they make something that is interesting :p They don't put 1001 computers in their cars just to keep them on the road, do they?

You haven't been paying attention, have you? :p

Very impressive, 3.3sec to 60mph in a heavy car like the GT-R is amazing. But..yeah.. I rate it's jizz time again for the fanboys. :p

I'd still take any Porsche(Turbo, GT3, GT2) over the GT-R.

Last edited:
I'd still take any Porsche(Turbo, GT3, GT2) over the GT-R.

Not that I ever would be able to own either, I would also take the porsche. People can look at the front without finding something wrong (except that it hasn't changed much) with it or attempting to find acid for their eyes. The back of both cars are both nice.

I didn't mean faster off the line with a computer, I meant faster off the line with a foot.

I didn't mean faster off the line with a computer, I meant faster off the line with a foot.

So you're saying that with a proper manual gearbox and no launch control feature the GT-R would be faster to 100km/h than what it is now with the dual clutch box and launch control? I'm confused. :|

Ooh ahh suck on that, now you all can shut up about warranty stuff! The GT-R is proper quick now! GT-R rules!

Ooh ahh it's still a giant computer on wheels! The driver doesn't do anything! It's a soulless machine! GT-R sucks!

Here, I've saved you all the trouble.

Hahahahaha, I'd like to see most of you guys and myself included try and manually launch a GT-R in a fashion similar to the way the computer does it.

If you like to do things yourself, get out and run. :D

It's what makes driving fun. Otherwise it's more like a roller coaster, you don't get a sense of achievement.

Get the perfect launch and snick off the perfect shifts in a drag race and you'll see. At the same time you'll understand why so many people do find drag racing so intoxicating.

Well if you end up in Brooklyn trying to merge into 50-60MPH traffic from a stop sign (I shit you not we have stop sign on ramps) you might want it

Yeah we have those here too, except many times you have to get your ass up to 80. If you need launch control and a 3.3 sec 0-60 to merge on the freeway you need to just give up and start taking the bus.

It's not all that fast yet but we're here at Nissan are confident that once patch 1.0.0.1 will out of beta and released at the end of march, owners will be pleased with the increased speed and straight line acceleration.

Klick here to become a GT-R beta tester.

okay, now we need someone to do this until the gearbox breaks, then we can have this argument all over again

In that case it should have a manual gearbox. It would not be optimal but it would be fun.
Yeah we have those here too, except many times you have to get your ass up to 80. If you need launch control and a 3.3 sec 0-60 to merge on the freeway you need to just give up and start taking the bus.
Would make life much easier, I used to do that in a 98 Century, still alive and no accidents but damn it was nerve wrecking. Since I know you are in CA somewhere but not exactly where, do you get crazy traffic? Cuz its not just the speed its the density of traffic.

Heyl,

Do want!

Hands up of who here thinks that the VDC/launch control/other computers make the GT-R no fun to drive, or make it require no skill to drive well.

Now keep your hands up if you've actually driven the GT-R around a track at full pace and/or launched the car with the launch control mode, otherwise put them down.

Hands up of who here thinks that the VDC/launch control/other computers make the GT-R no fun to drive, or make it require no skill to drive well.

Now keep your hands up if you've actually driven the GT-R around a track at full pace and/or launched the car with the launch control mode, otherwise put them down.

This is not necessarily a fair comparison but just to make a point. I never had my arm broken (or any bone for that matter) but I seriously doubt I would enjoy it.

Granted probably none of us here driven a GT-R but at the same time we know what we like and there are things about it that we don't like.

For instance I do drive a car with ESP, AWD and an auto with manual gear selection, granted its not a DSG and is pretty slow, and I'm pretty sick of not being able to peel off with tire squeel, move the lever more than forward/backward and not having a clutch pedal, or even breaking traction if I feel like it.

What most people here, including myself, saying is not that the GT-R is a bad car but merely that it lacks certain things that enthusiasts would enjoy in a car. It's same concept as a 911, great car, wouldn't even bother trying to drive it, I simply don't like it.

I'm not going to say I would rather have that over a proper manual. A manual would be much more fun to drive. But is it not the point of a sports car to go fast regardless of how it does so?

Whenever I've talked to the teachers at track days/driving schools they all like the Evo/sti/gt-r's/computer cars but always say the same thing "I get a much better sense of accomplishment and end up having more fun in a 115 hp miata." BMW schools tend to use "e30" instead but I think you get the point.

So you're saying that with a proper manual gearbox and no launch control feature the GT-R would be faster to 100km/h than what it is now with the dual clutch box and launch control? I'm confused. :|

No, I'm saying with no launch control, a paddle style sequential is slower off the line. It takes longer to build speed until the first shift (where it starts to pull ahead because of fast shifting).

A manual, with a manual clutch, would get it's body moving faster. But it is slower to shift. It would reach the top of first gear faster, however.

This is why race cars (Formula BMW, Formula 3 and derivatives, GT4/3/2/1, etc etc etc etc) have a clutch and a torque operated sequential. They don't need the clutch pedal there, but they have them anyway because it means a fast launch.

The reason why a paddle gearbox is faster with launch control is because the human has no access to the clutch and can't build revs otherwise, while the computer does. If the paddle shifted car had a clutch pedal like a GT car, the (skilled) human could do it as fast as the computer.

Last edited: