Alright, done school...now what do I do with a B.A.? Post up your plans.

I did 3 semesters of mechanical engineering, then did a complete about face and switched to a double major in journalism and political science (BS in both :D). If I really bust my ass next year I can finish, but realistically it will probably be another 3 semesters.

KSU has a pretty interesting polisci masters program in "international security studies" that I might pursue. I could do that and take some classes on Arabic or Farsi or Russian or something (I'm taking German now). After that I might go do some time in the armed forces; get them to pay off some of my schooling at least. Then ... I have no idea. Stay in the army and do intel? Work for some international ngo? Go to an intelligence agency?

Honestly, I'd be happy (for a while anyway) if I just went back to being a welder. College in and of itself was worth the money; I didn't just go so I could have job security and a 401k.

Last edited:
I'm not saying the BA was a total waste of money, far from it; you gain so much from earning a degree other than just a piece of paper and a receipt for the $100k you spent on school. But a degree isn't 'worth' as much as it was 10 years ago in terms of guaranteeing you a job (or at the very least, a much improved shot at a quality job). A degree is now a prerequisite for anything with potential, and its now a matter of specializing even further to land something worthy of being called a career.

Personally, I'm all for 'acheiving' success, but at the same time, its a waste of your goddamn life if it takes 20 years with the same company/in the same position to get where you want to be. I don't have expectations of being able to bank $150k in the first two years 'out there' doing something I love, but I'm not willing to work some mundane job, barely eking out a living wage for the next ten years.

In september I'm going to law school. Yaaaay.

You mean B.S., right? :p

Nope, it is actually a B.A. For whatever reason the school I went to, while a decent school, didn't have the programs to get a B.S. in anything. I didn't realize this until my senior year there, always just thought science = B.S.

Insert BS joke here.

I have a BSc in Economics and will get a MSc in economics later this year, by then I will have studied 4 years in total which is the norm here. The problem is that the job market is an awful lot tighter than it was 3 years ago. Most banks are not hiring at the moment and if they are, chances are that they pay a lot less than before. So I will have to go for something else, some smaller niches are still very profitable and hiring.
In general I think times are a bit tough, but everything will still work out.

In september I'm going to law school. Yaaaay.

Law school? Go and pick a proper study...:lol:

Shut up :p I've been dreaming of becoming a lawyer ever since the age of 8.

Well I hope you are at least going for the honoursbachelor at the UvA

Nope, Leiden. The only law school in Holland that matters IMO.

Nope, Leiden. The only law school in Holland that matters IMO.

what a shame, you got such a fine university in your hometown ;) and between you and me, we could do with some more girls :p

I have a BSc in Economics and will get a MSc in economics later this year, by then I will have studied 4 years in total which is the norm here.

quite impressive, I would be very very happy if I would be able to get my BSc in 4 years :p

Last edited:
I live very close to the university... But I'm not very technical :p Too bad.

Well you can move here and work for the FBI all you need is a bachelor's degree in something, anything, so I've been told by a friend in the military who actually looked into working for the FBI and CIA.

I'm a sophomore now, majoring in Biology and planning on going to med school after senior year. That will end up being about 12 years of "school" after graduating high school.

Well you can move here and work for the FBI all you need is a bachelor's degree in something, anything, so I've been told by a friend in the military who actually looked into working for the FBI and CIA.

I was looking at analyst positions with the CIA, but of course I'd have to move to D.C.

-Do something completely different and take a year off of everything and do some "life things"

DO NOT DO THIS. I did this and if i could go back in time and do things differently i would.