What's your "favorite" Japanese car company?

What's your "favorite" Japanese car company?

• Total voters

LeVeL

Forum Addict
Ok, let me explain. The other day I was thinking about all the different great (read: fun. SUVs and trucks need not apply) that come from the Japanese auto industry (I feel that at this point I should explain to some of the more hot-headed members that I am NOT saying that the rest of the world doesn't produce great/fun/good/whatever cars. Just choosing to focus on Japan for now). This got me thinking - which manufacturer has produced / is producing the most fun / greatest cars?

Honda/Acura made the NSX, S2000, Integra Type-R (and really various other Type-R's and Si's), CRX, etc.
Nissan/Infiniti made the Skyline, Silvias, old Datsuns (240/260/280Z, 510), 350Z.
Toyota/Lexus have the Hachiroku, MR2, and Supra to boast about.
Mazda built the RX7, RX8, and Miata.
Subaru has the Impreza, particularly the WRX and, of course, the STi.
Mitsubishi had the 3000GT, DSMs, and the Evo.

These are just cars that popped into my head just now, there are definately many others and I encourage you to mention any of them. That said, this will be a tough poll for me...

Mazda. MX5 and rotary FTW

For most of those manufacturers I can pick and choose a couple cars I really like, but overall I had to pick Subaru. It seems like you can have fun in just about any of their products. It's a shame they had to back out of that coupe deal with Toyota, I was really interested in the outcome of that partnership.

:p

The only reason Honda makes cars is because they need to fund the motorcycle and racing divisions.

For most of those manufacturers I can pick and choose a couple cars I really like, but overall I had to pick Subaru. It seems like you can have fun in just about any of their products. It's a shame they had to back out of that coupe deal with Toyota, I was really interested in the outcome of that partnership.

Really?
800px-Suby_justy.jpg

Last edited:
Mazda....

Attend an autox with a your EVO or rallycross that new STi... get your warranty voided... Send mazda your time slips get discounts on all parts plus access to their Mazdaspeed racing development program... oh yeah and you keep your warranty.

EDIT: Also they invite you to races and get you infield paddocks, meet and greets with their drivers, Parade laps + awesome shirts and hats hell sometimes they even spring for lunch. Last year at lime rock they aucitioned off a place on the speed source pit crew and all of the mazda teams used a female mazda owner as their umbrella/flag girls for each race...

Last edited:
It's close between Subaru and Honda for me.
The Impreza was great (the current gen hatchback isn't), especially the WRX and STi versions. The Legacy is quite a nice car too.
But looking at the whole range, I like Honda better: The S2000 is just great, the Civic (Euro model) is a funky little hatch, the Accord (Euro model) is just what I'd buy if I had enough money and needed a large estate (or well, perhaps a Ford Mondeo instead) - amazing car all around. Looking at the history, the do have the NSX and various Type-R models. To make them a perfect car manufacturer, they only need to enter WRC. ;)

As for the other companies - *yawn*. The sport models like Supra, RX-*, Skyline/GT-R are great, but the lesser models are boring.

I based my decision on current lineups...and seeing that some automakers ruined best sellers that they had...

I picked Mazda. Affordable fun cars.

...but I would have chosen Subaru if they had not designed the new impreza in the way they did.

Last edited:
Mazda FTW.

Classic (until '90s) sports Toyotas. Anything new doesn't move my heart at all.

It used to be Toyota, but no more, I despise their current lineup.

I am having a hard time deciding, Mazda for the MX-5 and RX-8 and offering a good hot version of many models, Honda for the S2000 and hot versions, Suzuki for the Swift Sport and their support for amateur rallying.

I guess I have to go with Subaru, my love for AWD wagons is too strong, <3 Legacy wagon spec B.

Nissan.

The Skyline is by far the best Japanese car in history, from the "KPGC10" all the way to the present day. Earned the name "godzilla" for a reason. And I still have ATTESA as the best AWD system ever. No other car can compete with it's resume in japan, and few all over the world.

S-chasis cars are also quite the car, lightweight RWD and turbo. Best combo ever. I am obviously bias towards the S13 Silvia but S14 and S15 are on the "hotness" list along with the uglier hatchback cousin the 180.

Old Z's, G35/7 coupe, and the new 370z shows promise. Hell the Z32 wasn't bad for when it came out since it was against FC's and MKIII's but the FD and MKIV quickly "top trumped" it.

The only reason Honda makes cars is because they need to fund the motorcycle and racing divisions.

Really?
800px-Suby_justy.jpg

Get one for under $500 bucks and go LeMons racing with it, then it's a gas.

Mazda, simply because of the whole old-school rotary line-up.
The Aussies especially would know the cars I mean.

Can't really decide - they've all had their moments of glory, and Toyota aside they're all currently making at least one model that I respect & would happily own.

Get one for under $500 bucks and go LeMons racing with it, then it's a gas.

And then the CVT falls out the bottom; thereby wiping out anything resembling fun. :lol:

Last edited:
Mazda, because they can manage to make not-boring cars that don't break.

Honda/Acura, because it makes/made wicked sports cars that will run forever (VTEC, yo!). They also make the best car (compared to other Japanese makes) in a lot of categories (NA market).

Minivan - Odyssey
Midsize - Accord
Compact - Civic
Sub-compact - Fit
Compact SUV - CR-V
Midsize SUV - Pilot
Compact Pick-up Truck - Ridgeline

They offer a couple of snazzy sports cars here too, S2000 and Civic Si (only beaten by Mazda Speed 3 in its class).

Mazda, followed by Honda.

Care very little about the rest.

Mazda

They somehow make a 3600 pound 4door sedan handle brilliantly. Not to mention the RX3, RX7, MX5 and RX8.