2009 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread

Mclaren have a lack of grip:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ihr4yGRMYpo[/YOUTUBE]

I feel for the Finn. Sigh.

Kimi is clearly moving first, but the distance between them is probably the equivalent of 3-4 places on the grid. If McLaren still have this problem, they will be absolutely nowhere. Gobbled up at the starts and then dropping down the field.

Oh no no, I was referring to the McLaren Finn. I'm not too worried about the Ferrari Finn. :lol:

Now you see, I'm just confused.

Ecclestone: F1 untroubled by downturn

Bernie Ecclestone believes Formula 1 is holding up strongly against the financial downturn, and doesn't think teams are having to make many cuts.

A range of budget-reducing rules were introduced over the winter, as Honda put its team up for sale and major sponsors such as ING and RBS announced that they would be withdrawing at the end of their current contracts amid the worldwide slump.

But Ecclestone says the sport is faring better than he expected, and reckons that rather than releasing staff, some teams will have more on hand at this year's grands prix.

"I don't get the impression that this crisis has caused any problems, which is a big surprise," Ecclestone told the Guardian newspaper.

"You would have thought that the teams would take less people and start to cut down on costs. But they're taking more people to the races than they took last year. I know exactly because we do all the credentials.

"It doesn't look to me as though they're cutting down too much."

While teams' race weekend operations might be less affected by the rule changes, the testing ban and the planned development restrictions in the next package of regulations are expected to lead to staff cuts in other areas.

Ecclestone also said that there had been no decline in interest from countries keen to get on the F1 schedule and that fitting all the potential venues on the calendar would be a major challenge - especially if Donington Park's revamp is completed as planned and the British GP secures its long-term future.

"We haven't got a spare date," Ecclestone said. "We're in trouble. We need a date. We're going to be in trouble if we do have Donington."

He added that while F1's stability amid the recession had surprised him, he had anticipated the crisis itself.

"I said a long time ago that the stock market would crash and that Europe would become a third-world economy," said Ecclestone. "And it will."

---

Source: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73704

I've been reading the Autosport forum recently

That place really is a shadow of it's former self. You have to sift through SO MUCH bullshit to actually get any useful information. That place was on it's way down in 2006, but never did I imagine it would sink to such pathetic lows as it's at now. It's kind of sad, really, because there are some really insightful and interesting posters on there, and the place has the potential to be something quite extraordinary... but it's not, and that saddens me.

That place really is a shadow of it's former self. You have to sift through SO MUCH bullshit to actually get any useful information. That place was on it's way down in 2006, but never did I imagine it would sink to such pathetic lows as it's at now. It's kind of sad, really, because there are some really insightful and interesting posters on there, and the place has the potential to be something quite extraordinary... but it's not, and that saddens me.

I know. I can't keep up with the amount of posts and... well... flaming in the "Racing Comments" section, so I just follow what goes on here and try to find the relevant information. The "Technical" and the Nostalgia Forum are much better and a lot calmer. I got a LOT of info there about the Lotus 88, for example, just by asking nicely in a new thread.

(If you find posts by Victor_RO on that forum, that's me.)

Last edited:
That start video is just extraordinary!!! McLaren just got demolished!

"I don't get the impression that this crisis has caused any problems, which is a big surprise," Ecclestone told the Guardian newspaper.

So a whole team just upping out and quitting isn't a problem huh?

The STR launch towards the end looked to be the best one. But again, it's testing - who knows what tyres, fuel loads etc they're running when they're doing those launches - comparisons are a bit meaningless.