What's your "favorite" Japanese car company?

What's your "favorite" Japanese car company?

• Total voters
Subaru.

Impreza, STi, WRC, Forester, WRC, STi, my car. What's not to love?

Nissan.

Who the fuck says Mazda, its just funky from outside, its not powerful, doesn't drive well, and I didn't have a good experience with the reliability too. The whole company has a line up of not more than 10-15 cars, ffs ...

Oh yeah, Nissan's got a stellar reliability record :rolleyes: They can take that bloated wrong wheel drive Maxima and shove it.

Nissan's got a good (if not overused) engine, and a small handfull of interesting cars (370Z, G37, GT-R) all the rest is wonky bloated wrong wheel drive with questionable reliability.

EDIT: rom1n has 3 Nissans in his stable

Last edited:
I voted Nissan, even though Ive never liked their ecomomy/family cars ive always had a thing for the Z-Cars, and the new GTR is awesome.

Mazda would come in a very close second for me for the rotary cars, actually they are pretty much tied with Nissan in my book, in fact Mazda might just have gotten my vote if id thought about it longer... doh

Toyota would have gotten my vote, if they still made: great looking RWD Celica, Supra, and MR2, but they didnt because they stopped making all of those when they became politically incorrect.

Oh yeah, Nissan's got a stellar reliability record :rolleyes: They can take that bloated wrong wheel drive Maxima and shove it.

Nissan's got a good (if not overused) engine, and a small handfull of interesting cars (370Z, G37, GT-R) all the rest is wonky bloated wrong wheel drive with questionable reliability.

EDIT: rom1n has 3 Nissans in his stable

Except for it reads like a "I wish I had these" list.

Nissan.

Who the fuck says Mazda, its just funky from outside, its not powerful, doesn't drive well, and I didn't have a good experience with the reliability too. The whole company has a line up of not more than 10-15 cars, ffs ...

You, sir, are a certifiable lunatic. RX7, RX8, and Miata are some of the best drivers cars of all time. I'm not saying anything bad about Nissan, but you really can't say that Mazdas don't drive well

Nissan.

You, sir, are a certifiable lunatic. RX7, RX8, and Miata are some of the best drivers cars of all time. I'm not saying anything bad about Nissan, but you really can't say that Mazdas don't drive well

hell even the FWD mazdaspeed Protege (and MS3) are a fucking blast to drive.

Last edited:
Nissan.

I like Nissan, but...

That's a load of shit. The RX series and Miata will go down in history to be some of the greatest drivers of all time, and Mazda is the only Japanese company to make its boring hatches and saloons good for performance driving while stock. You must have driven some B-Series piece of shit if you had reliability problems; my Miata ran the entire time I was restoring it and it hasn't given me one problem in the six months after the restoration- that is counting track day driving.

Also, FYI: less models gives the company ability to focus on making the few better, not just focus on making more boring crap like Toyota unfortunately does now.

Toyota would have gotten my vote, if they still made: great looking RWD Celica, Supra, and MR2, but they didnt because they stopped making all of those when they became politically incorrect.
I don't think its so much being politically correct otherwise that new giant Tundra would be out of the question. They stopped these because they didn't make much money off them, the Supra particularly.

I don't think its so much being politically correct otherwise that new giant Tundra would be out of the question. They stopped these because they didn't make much money off them, the Supra particularly.

True, but that's a flagship car. It's intended to sell the others. They never make the company money directly. Just like with the Viper, GT, ZR-1, GT-R, and a host of other cars. The problem is that most people don't see the point of buying a fast car. Cars are just simple transportation. However, these cars are meant to show what a car company can do and it stimulates people to buy their cars. Even though some don't see the point, there are a lot that envy that car and that might entice them to thing about buying one of their cars. Really, the selling of flagship cars in intended to break even.

I for one won't buy a new Toyota because I think janstett said it best, they are appliances. I remember the days when even the most mundane car from Toyota still had some excitement.

True, but that's a flagship car. It's intended to sell the others. They never make the company money directly. Just like with the Viper, GT, ZR-1, GT-R, and a host of other cars. The problem is that most people don't see the point of buying a fast car. Cars are just simple transportation. However, these cars are meant to show what a car company can do and it stimulates people to buy their cars. Even though some don't see the point, there are a lot that envy that car and that might entice them to thing about buying one of their cars. Really, the selling of flagship cars in intended to break even.

I for one won't buy a new Toyota because I think janstett said it best, they are appliances. I remember the days when even the most mundane car from Toyota still had some excitement.
The main reason I singled out the Supra is outside of Japan and the US where the Mk IV lasted for a while, in other countries it was pulled out rather early. The 2nd gen MR2 didn't last long in any market outside of Japan while the 3rd gen sold very poorly adding to the fact it was not even available in some markets ie. Canada. The 7th gen Celica sold very well early on being the only modestly successful Project Genesis car, later on its sales were very poor. I just find money and the excuse of low sales motivated the killing of all 3 of these cars, despite other slow selling but cheap to make cars surviving like the Paseo and Solara.

I too won't buy a new Toyota, they're just not what they used to be. I'd much prefer my car over the Avalon that supposedly replaced it. Indeed my car will lose to it on straight line power, yet handling is where my car has not been beaten by the Avalon(my dad's 2004 handles terribly).

Last edited:
The main reason I singled out the Supra is outside of Japan and the US where the Mk IV lasted for a while, in other countries it was pulled out rather early. The 2nd gen MR2 didn't last long in any market outside of Japan while the 3rd gen sold very poorly adding to the fact it was not even available in some markets ie. Canada. The 7th gen Celica sold very well early on being the only modestly successful Project Genesis car, later on its sales were very poor. I just find money and the excuse of low sales motivated the killing of all 3 of these cars, despite other slow selling but cheap to make cars surviving like the Paseo and Solara.

I too won't buy a new Toyota, they're just not what they used to be. I'd much prefer my car over the Avalon that supposedly replaced it. Indeed my car will lose to it on straight line power, yet handling is where my car has not been beaten by the Avalon(my dad's 2004 handles terribly).

Ah, yeah, I see. That's a pretty good point. You know, come to think of it, I don't recall much marketing for any of those cars either.

Mazda....

Attend an autox with a your EVO or rallycross that new STi... get your warranty voided... Send mazda your time slips get discounts on all parts plus access to their Mazdaspeed racing development program... oh yeah and you keep your warranty.

EDIT: Also they invite you to races and get you infield paddocks, meet and greets with their drivers, Parade laps + awesome shirts and hats hell sometimes they even spring for lunch. Last year at lime rock they aucitioned off a place on the speed source pit crew and all of the mazda teams used a female mazda owner as their umbrella/flag girls for each race...
What the fuck? Are you serious? That is the best thing I ever heard.

Yeah Mazda is hella fucking awesome

Viva La Mazda!