Test driven: Volvo C30 T5 R-design

frankiess

Wankel Wanker
Car(s)
MB Coal Mine, Renault Bucket
Let me just clarify here. I hate Volvos. I hate their upper middle class-image. I hate that Volvos are safe, boring, and comfortable to sit in.

Then I happened to drive a C30 with the small 1.6 litre. My general opinion began to falter. I actually ENJOYED driving this quirky little thing. And besides, it doesn't look half as bad. Oh what the hell, it's bloody neat for a Volvo.

I decided to find myself a meatier version with some sport suspension, to find out if this really has potential to be something other than a Volvo. And behold, a bright red T5-powered version with the R-design body kit entered the stage. Here's an identical model:

http://img124.imageshack.**/img124/9026/21275527.jpg

First impressions: a cool Dynaudio sound system will suffice for Dream Theater's Awake. Nice, comfy seats.. but why can't I adjust the height? Feels like I'm sitting in a damned SUV. Steering feels numbened and unconnected, and the gearstick, well. You know when people say a Volvo with 300tkm on the odo feels like new? Well, that's because a new Volvo feels like its already got 300tkm on the odo.

Ok, I'll get used to it. Let's see how this thing moves. Hello? Let's go already! I've had my foot buried into the firewall for almost 6 hours, and NOW the revs start to climb. Might as well be driving an 80's diesel Merc, for frank's sake. This car is less eager to move than a hippo on Valium. Forget heel-and-toe then, you'll be glad to get this heap of pile moving.

Great. So the engine covers the "boring". How about handling then? I just had to throw this thing into a couple of corners. I'm not entirely sure whose design the tyre/suspension combination is, but changing direction was clearly not the purpose of this setup. The resulting understeer and traction control-lightshow was enough to kill my remaining verve. Indeed, my will to have fun was so utterly smothered by this contraption, that I ended up driving according to speed limits and stopping to let grannies over zebra-crossings.

That'll be safe, then.

So it's a Volvo. Yeah, I should've taken the hint when I saw the badge. Can't wait to get back in my 535i.

It's funny, because most people (journalists that is) agree that the C30 T5 is a well-crafted piece of engineering with great handling and a fantastic engine. Perhaps the problem is that you automatically compare it to your BMW, and that might not be the optimal starting point.

If you think the 2.5 I5 Turbo is slow, you're doing something wrong! :p

it does give solid sense of speed inside v50 so why wouldnt it give it in that....

My roommate has a S40 with the 2.4i engine, it certainly changed my idea of what Volvo is like. I like the styling both exterior and interior; however it isn't the fastest thing in the world, but since when is Volvo known for their performance? For the average Volvo driver, how often do they really need a whole bunch of power. If they want power then that is what other car companies are for.

I like the styling both exterior and interior; however it isn't the fastest thing in the world, but since when is Volvo known for their performance? For the average Volvo driver, how often do they really need a whole bunch of power. If they want power then that is what other car companies are for.

Ermmm...have you heard about the mentalist Volvo 850 T-5R from 1995, and then the 850R in the years to follow?
2.3 Litre Inline 5 Turbo engine with 237hp. The US version with the autotragic wasn't particularly fast, with 0-60 in 7.2 sec, but the Euro spec manual ones were doing 0-60 in the low 6sec range. Top speed....if you remove the 140mph limiter, it will reach 160mph.

With very slight ECU tuning of the Turbo, you could EASSILY get 280-300hp out of the engine. And then you are in the high 5sec range with top speed going to more than 170mph. And you are still keeping Volvo's incredible reliability.

I dare you to tell me that this is uncool.
http://img520.imageshack.**/img520/1078/1997volvo850r1gu2.jpg

I was saying on a more broad level that Volvo's aren't known for making big HP, I could say Saturn makes performance cars since they have the Sky Redline. Going back 15 years to find an example of fast car isn't what I consider a performance oriented company.

Okay....the S60R then:
Volvo_S60R_Forss.jpg

Introduced in 2003, has AWD and 300hp.

People thinking that Volvos are slow and boring is just a misconception from the 80s.

Last edited:
I was saying on a more broad level that Volvo's aren't known for making big HP, I could say Saturn makes performance cars since they have the Sky Redline. Going back 15 years to find an example of fast car isn't what I consider a performance oriented company.

How about two years ago?

Volvo S60R
[YOUTUBE]0zjl6y331Hc[/YOUTUBE]

Volvo V70R

[YOUTUBE]imqj9fsLgiI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]d_FZGMdPQn8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]YT37GBg_fU4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0Mcz_ybXYVk[/YOUTUBE]

Let me just clarify here. I hate Volvos. I hate their upper middle class-image. I hate that Volvos are safe, boring, and comfortable to sit in.

I don't know about you but I like comfortable seats and don't care to sit in steel hard German seats

First impressions: a cool Dynaudio sound system will suffice for Dream Theater's Awake. Nice, comfy seats.. but why can't I adjust the height? Feels like I'm sitting in a damned SUV. Steering feels numbened and unconnected, and the gearstick, well. You know when people say a Volvo with 300tkm on the odo feels like new? Well, that's because a new Volvo feels like its already got 300tkm on the odo.

R-Designs have power seat standard just push down on the top of the big button the seat gets very low. As for the trans just get a short shift kit from IPD and problem solved.

Ok, I'll get used to it. Let's see how this thing moves. Hello? Let's go already! I've had my foot buried into the firewall for almost 6 hours, and NOW the revs start to climb. Might as well be driving an 80's diesel Merc, for frank's sake. This car is less eager to move than a hippo on Valium. Forget heel-and-toe then, you'll be glad to get this heap of pile moving.

The T5 engine makes 227 horsepower @ 5,000 rpms and 236 lb.-ft. @ 1500 rpm which is nice solid monster torque down low. Did you maybe have the trans in third gear? Now IIRC that is about the same torque your 535 makes but lower down in the rev range. The curb weight on your car is around 3,800 lbs and the C30 is less at around 3,200 lbs. I am going to take a wild guess and say the C30 is faster in a straight line then your car. I just don't see rwd making up for 600 lbs of curb weight and more power.

Great. So the engine covers the "boring". How about handling then? I just had to throw this thing into a couple of corners. I'm not entirely sure whose design the tyre/suspension combination is, but changing direction was clearly not the purpose of this setup. The resulting understeer and traction control-lightshow was enough to kill my remaining verve. Indeed, my will to have fun was so utterly smothered by this contraption, that I ended up driving according to speed limits and stopping to let grannies over zebra-crossings.

That'll be safe, then.

So it's a Volvo. Yeah, I should've taken the hint when I saw the badge. Can't wait to get back in my 535i.

As to the handling well it is FWD with all season tires. Get the optional summer only tires and the upgraded suspension that is available as an accessory.

Last edited:
Apparently I don't know my Volvo's very well, you guys have certainly proved your point.

The S60R/V70R is an understeering lump, not a sports car. No matter what any of you say, Volvo is not a sporting car company, Volvo has always been about large estate cars such as the 245, 745, 945 and v70, etc. All the new more powerful versions are just stabs at the performance car market.

To clarify:

A real volvo:
Volvo945.JPG

A pseudo-performance volvo:
C30-1.jpg

Neither is very sporty, the other is atleast practical.

But they are still a lot better than the competition.
Volvos are better/faster than VWs, Opels(Vauxhalls), Fords(Euro) etc.

They are actually doing a very good job in stealing some of BMW and Merc clients. I always wanted a BMW, and never actually thought about a Volvo, but now that I bought one I see that it really is a great car for its money.

But they are still a lot better than the competition.
Volvos are better/faster than VWs, Opels(Vauxhalls), Fords(Euro) etc.

They are actually doing a very good job in stealing some of BMW and Merc clients. I always wanted a BMW, and never actually thought about a Volvo, but now that I bought one I see that it really is a great car for its money.

So a c30t5 is faster than a golf gti/ r32 golf? Or the Focus st/RS?

And Volvo is not exactly priced to compete with Fords either..

And do you have any source for your claim about Volvo stealing Bmw/Merc sales, because I find it a bit hard to believe.:)

No matter what any of you say, Volvo is not a sporting car company, Volvo has always been about large estate cars such as the 245, 745, 945 and v70, etc.

800px-Volvo1800s.JPG

As much as i love Volvos, the c30 seems a bit pointless to me.. If I wanted a hatchback I would get the Focus ST... It's (more or less) the same thing as the c30 but more fun to drive...

As to the handling well it is FWD with all season tires. Get the optional summer only tires and the upgraded suspension that is available as an accessory.

You do realize I live in Finland? We don't use "optional summer only-tyres", only studded winter tyres and summer tyres.

As to the videos, well. Give me a turbo-Saab and I'll be able to keep up with a 911. That is, until the first corner comes along.

If you think the 2.5 I5 Turbo is slow, you're doing something wrong! :p

I'm not saying it's SLOW. I mean, I'll break any speed limit in a matter of seconds. It just FEELS slow. You know when a Mazda 2 feels like it wants to go go go everywhere? Just like the proverbial over-excited puppy? Or the (older) Honda Type-R. These cars just felt chuckable, quick to respond, light and QUICK, although they all have less BHP than the C30.

So just for kicks, I'd rather be sitting in a Toyota Aygo. If I want a Volvo, I'd rather get the actual big V70 estate, than the C30 which just feels like one.

The S60R/V70R is an understeering lump, not a sports car.

A common remedy for the S60R is an aftermarket front strut bar.

It does make a difference.

Just as a side note, I consider the S60R to be a car for someone looking for a powerful and spacious cruiser to take the family away for holiday. I'm actually not qualified to say anything more, since I've never driven it, and my only experience comes from what I've seen in Top Gear and Fifth Gear. So it remains unseen to myself if the S60R has the guts to be the new T-5R.. which I've also never driven. I probably should try out these two to see if Volvo got rid of the boringness plagueing their everyday family cars.

But anyway, I don't believe the C30 can be mentioned on the same page as an S60R. Since the latter can be forgiven to be a bit on the boring side, since basically it's nothing more than an extravagant family car for the ski-holiday-dad. The C30 on the other hand, is supposed to be a quirky, light, and chuckable hot hatch. Giving it a drowsy engine and sedative handling is, for lack of a better word, a damn crime.

Well, I just returned the red Swede. Strangely enough, the salesguy agreed on the power issue. Apparently a lot of customers have been saying the same thing: the car's quite fast, but never really feels too fast.

I shook off my Volvo nightmare by giving the Beamer the beans down a motorway. Oh my. Some Soilwork, an open sunroof, 5500 rpm shifts.. makes me ashamed to have ever considered anything else. :D