Sorry If this has been asked but theoretically...

Drag cars use automatics, and F1 cars did for a short while with great success (which is why they're banned).

Automatics are faster in some situations. The problem is not how they are set-up, but rather a manual gives the driver more control. An automatic can not scan the road ahead and choose the best gear for the job.

//And please next time you create a thread, use a useful title. The subject should provide an idea of what is inside.

Last edited:
You have to define what you mean by an automatic.
Torque converted automatics are VERY popular in drag racing, they can be made to shift much faster than you could with a manual. You can also use the TC to preload the driveline allowing a turbo to spool while the car is still stationary. Also the fluid in the TC can be used as a torque multiplier.

There are automatic transmissions that use a single or a twin clutch set up. The gears can be shifted either automatically or manually but the clutch is not actuated by the driver.

Also the RS6 uses a regular TC driven automatic but it can shift in 100ms which is wayyyyy faster than a manual could ever do. Basically in motor sports a full manual is almost non existant these days.

Automatics are faster than manuals when shifting flat-out, but no matter how well programmed they cannot analyse which gear to be in like a driver can. Therefore the moment the driver slows down and speeds up again it becomes slower.

Semi-autos or dual-clutch gearboxes are autos that you can tell when to shift (ie, best of both worlds) providing both the immediate shifting of automatics with the control of manuals. Which is why F1 uses paddle-shift semi-autos.

Manuals require the driver to declutch, shift, re-engage the clutch, and balance the throttle, thereby requiring more skill than autos or semi-autos. But they also give the most pure form of driver control, the driver shifts gears mechanically rather than through a computer (or in the case of some automatics, hydraulics or springs).

Huge BHP Supra's... are apparently better in auto than manual.

Huge BHP Supra's... are apparently better in auto than manual.

WHAT?!!

Oh, also. Can you control a drift in auto? I thought engaging/disengaging the clutch was needed.

Last edited:
WHAT?!!

Oh, also. Can you control a drift in auto? I thought engaging/disengaging the clutch was needed.

Nope, you just need to hold it in a gear and keep your foot down. The clutch dump method is just to induce wheelspin in underpowered cars.

Makes sense to me. When you bolt on a turbo from a diesel locomotive onto your car you will want to pre-load it so it won't take five hours to spool up when you start off the line.

An automatic setup for racing is EXTREMELY fast shifting, it's also the destroyer of U-joints, drive-shafts, axles, rear ends, and anything else that twists aft the trans. Auto's will engage the next gear before the prior is released.

Chaparral ran an automatic in a couple of his cars out of necessity, Oval tracks will use modified power glide's (2 speed auto).

Here is a miata with a Ford v8 and a "manual valve body" automatic. It's completely, 100% manually operated. If you listen carefully he even rev matches down shifts. The downside to his setup is he can't chose to slip the clutch going into 2nd or 3rd or 4th gear, so he ALWAYS chirps 2nd under power.

[youtube]jtrORSLzoOk[/youtube]

WHAT?!!

All the fastest Drag supra's run GM TH-350/400's. If you scan around Supra Forums you'll actually see a couple of guys taking pride in owning/having owned the "fastest 6 speed manual supra." Drag racing + Turbo + Automatic = extremely fast fucking race car. Rather than worrying of boost dropping between gears, you'll get boost SPIKES.

Nope, you just need to hold it in a gear and keep your foot down. The clutch dump method is just to induce wheelspin in underpowered cars.

Got a friend who drifts an auto Volvo w/o any problems.
If you listen carefully he even rev matches down shifts.
LOL I do that in my tiptronic as well, I've even managed to do it a couple of times in full auto mode because I learned how the car will shift :)

Last edited:
An Auto on launch will never sound this cool:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9ccEQnxGoE&feature=related&pos=0[/YOUTUBE]

I've never driven an auto I liked...

Main advantage of a manual over an auto: An automatic can't anticipate. The driver can.

Off topic: I prefer automatic for offroading so I can keep both hands on the wheel and lean way outside the window to see my tires/obstacles.

An Auto on launch will never sound this cool:

I've never driven an auto I liked...

Sounds like plenty of Auto launches i've heard :dunno:

I cant imagine his transmission lasts long with slamming gears like that.

Main advantage of a manual over an auto: An automatic can't anticipate. The driver can.

Off topic: I prefer automatic for offroading so I can keep both hands on the wheel and lean way outside the window to see my tires/obstacles.

I've also heard that when crawling/climbing it's been a bit of a debate as with an auto you never have to worry about breaking forward movement to engage the next gear.

Last edited:

Yes, but you then have to rely on a torque converter and brakes to hold you on descending sections, while I can just stick it in 1st and slowly drive down really steep hills, not touching any pedals. :D

Basically in motor sports a full manual is almost non existant these days.

If you want to be like than then the only "full" manual vehicles are bikes and pedal boats and the like. A twin clutch setup is no less manual than a single clutch deal just because you have one less. Fuck your semantics.

also, Blayde, I didn't believe you so I tried that myself :lmao: