Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

:lol:
That's a great idea...I could go for "THRSTY" as mine. Damn six-letter, no number restriction. "GUZZLR"?

Psh, we get 4 letters for our personal plates. In fact, up until this year started all license plates in the state had 4 characters maximum for the registration, now we have 5, and it's annoying a lot of people.

This made my morning:

I was on my way to work playing my music fairly loud when I heard a strange raspy acceleration noise coming from a car somewhere in front of me in traffic. Managed to get closer to the sound and saw that it was a fairly new M6 since it had the new spoon scooped like trunk * Never seen one moving or moving slow enough for me to actually see it. The thing that made my morning was this guys plate. It said "1MPGLOL".

:thumbsup:

*= I don't follow BMW's so I don't know what the actual name for it is.
The actual name is a Bangle Butt, for the idiot who styled the car.

That's because you don't have enough people in Wyoming to need 6 letters AND digits :|

Still, I'd like to meet that guy. Didn't seem like your typical BMW cock driver.

I'm just over 40 miles away from rolling the Mustang over to 56000 miles. It's getting so old :cheers:

Thunderbird just rolled over 308,000 kms

only about 4K are from me though, lol

I've put as many miles on my car in the last couple of weeks as the previous owners did in six months. :?

My friend just came back from her epic road trip from Long Island to Banff National Park in Canada. 11 states, and she got her first speeding ticket. Guess which one:

Freakin' Wyoming. So much for the "reasonable and prudent" days...:cry:

My friend just came back from her epic road trip from Long Island to Banff National Park in Canada. 11 states, and she got her first speeding ticket. Guess which one:

Freakin' Wyoming. So much for the "reasonable and prudent" days...:cry:

How the hell did she manage that one? And was it local authorities or HP? Actually I suspect it was probably about 7-15 mph over the limit on a fairly empty highway and the only reason she was pulled is because she didn't have Wyo plates :glare:

How the hell did she manage that one? And was it local authorities or HP? Actually I suspect it was probably about 7-15 mph over the limit on a fairly empty highway and the only reason she was pulled is because she didn't have Wyo plates :glare:

90, cop wrote it down as 87. I dunno the rest...

ot-dysentery.jpg

Yep, so 15 over the limit. Fun little tidbit, the state law ?31-5-301(a) states "No person shall drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. " so if she wanted she could show up in court and argue that basic state law shows that she was perfectly fine driving that speed if indeed conditions were proper. It's a statutory speed limit that says 75, but like I said the basic state speed rule is still reasonable and prudent.

Law also states that for speeding 87 in a 75 she's faced with a minimum fine of $35 (if a fine is actually imposed) and maximum of $200.

I'm pondering over what tyres to get for my little Yaris at the moment as the thing does tend to aquaplan, and the crap weather atm means the roads are often wet...

gotta say.... I kinda want a Solstice GXP. Is there some reason this car isn't a bigger hit? I mean RWD, LSD, Turbo Ecotec and personally i think it looks great. does it suck or something?

gotta say.... I kinda want a Solstice GXP. Is there some reason this car isn't a bigger hit? I mean RWD, LSD, Turbo Ecotec and personally i think it looks great. does it suck or something?

Every review of it says it manages to take all of those positives and make them useless by being boring to drive.

There's also the acres of cheap gray plastic that make many people run screaming from the interior of the car, the useless trunk, the fact that everything is an extra cost option, and the fact that it's made by lazy union workers.

Take your pick.

New topic - here's something you won't see every day. A Jaguar giving a Nissan a jump start (as opposed to the more common other way round):

IMG_1094.JPG

Both cars are mine - the damn battery in the Nissan was discharged for some unknown reason (I didn't leave the lights on or anything) when I came out today. The battery is less than three weeks old.

Last edited:
There's also the acres of cheap gray plastic that make many people run screaming from the interior of the car, the useless trunk, the fact that everything is an extra cost option, and the fact that it's made by lazy union workers.

Take your pick.

#1 actually got me the most. I sat in a solstice and I'll never forget how the materials, those you put your arms/hands on nearly all the time, were extremely uncomfortable.

Who's bright ass idea was it to put shitty, pimply, hard plastic on the window where 99% of people will rest their elbow while cruising with the top down?

I still insist the Solistice/Sky's would be made 1000x a better car by just ripping out everything in the interior but seats, shifter, steering wheel, and gauge cluster... though the a/c might be nice for those really hot days.

New topic - here's something you won't see every day. A Jaguar giving a Nissan a jump start (as opposed to the more common other way round):

IMG_1094.JPG

Both cars are mine - the damn battery in the Nissan was discharged for some unknown reason (I didn't leave the lights on or anything) when I came out today. The battery is less than three weeks old.

I just realized... both of my cars have to sit ass to ass if I wanted to jump start either one. Factory mounted trunk battery... FTW?

On the subject of batteries Autozones Duralast gold line is awesome. 3 year no questions asked replacement warranty. My brother bought a battery for my miata, and the car then sat for 2 years with the new battery in it, and it went dead of course, took it in to get it pro-rated on a new one and they swapped it out!

Last edited:
I just realized... both of my cars have to sit ass to ass if I wanted to jump start either one. Factory mounted trunk battery... FTW?

On the subject of batteries Autozones Duralast gold line is awesome. 3 year no questions asked replacement warranty. My brother bought a battery for my miata, and the car then sat for 2 years with the new battery in it, and it went dead of course, took it in to get it pro-rated on a new one and they swapped it out!

Both of my two in the pic have a Walmart Everstart Maxx battery in them - good stuff, made by Johnson Controls (who used to make the Sears Diehards before Sears got cheap and passed the contract on to GMB.) Think the warranty on those is 3 years no questions asked and 7 years total (prorated after 3). I have no idea what's in the XJR because I haven't bothered dismantling the trunk to look at it. It was supposed to have been replaced shortly before I got the car, though.

Turns out the Pathfinder's problem is that after over 250,000 miles apparently the original alternator is starting to die. Guess that's to be expected....

As for the trunk mount batteries, I know what you mean. Other BMWs have it worse - if you need to jump an E32, if your jump posts are missing from the engine bay (common issue), you get to remove the rear passenger seat. Yay.

On the other hand, the later V12 Series IIIs came with a factory trunk mount battery kit but retained the firewall buss bar. You can jump one of those off the left front, right front, or anywhere in the rear. Mine doesn't have the trunk option... yet. :D

Last edited:

I was like that until I sat in one. It is nigh impossible to find a manual GXP as they kept on fitting autos to them. The interior did not fit well (pieces didn't match), and the seats were utter crap. GM could have had a star, but cost cutting and the UAW ruined it.

Spectre, you should find some caps to cover the big holes (not sure what they are called) in the middle of the rims on your xj6

Every review of it says it manages to take all of those positives and make them useless by being boring to drive.

I was like that until I sat in one. It is nigh impossible to find a manual GXP as they kept on fitting autos to them. The interior did not fit well (pieces didn't match), and the seats were utter crap. GM could have had a star, but cost cutting and the UAW ruined it.

well that would explain why i never see them on the road or being talked about... ah well... back to day dreaming about bike engined locosts...

A joyous thing came in the post yesterday: My License!

Yes, it is pink. :D
k4j8us.jpg

And yes, I do hate the photo on it :mad:

Last edited: