What happened to JC's Sun column?

controlspecimen

Car(s)
2006 Acura TL 6MT
I used to read Clarkson's weekly sun column by going to News and then there was a link called Columnists under which his latest column was listed. I can't find that now for some reason--does anyone know how to access it?

It isn't online anymore. He still writes it, but as best I know it's print only.

No JC writes another column for The Sun (www.thesun.co.uk) as well as his Times columns. I think they've recently started only putting the columns in the paper and not online.

I looked yesterday and there was a banner on the Sun homepage telling me if I buy the paper I can read Clarksons column.

Well in this electronic day and age, newspapers gotta do what they gotta do to survive. Good move on The Sun

What will be interesting to watch is whether The Times go the same way with their JC column - they're both Murdoch papers after all - either that or introducing a payment to read those columns. It is something he has mentioned in a speech (murdoch not clarkson).

Having a pay access website would be much more profitable than forcing you to buy the print edition I think... People from around the world read his columns online judging by the comments, and they sure aren't gonna buy a copy of the Sun and have it mailed or something.

But I only read his column because I'm bored on a Sunday morning and because I can. I'm not going to pay to read it. I would think my opinion is probably indicative of the majority as well.

I'll buy the book when it's released and stick it in the toilet for it's useful life :p

I'd be happier if it had an RSS feed.

Problem is that now in the age of rolling news channels and the internet, newspapers are increasingly becoming more and more dated and they had to resort to shock tactics (for example the Sun today having about a killer chipmunk) or exclusives (some celebrity has gotten drunk and done something embarassing... well who hasn't?). This doesn't surprise me, given JC's and Top Gear's popularity this is a tactic designed to make people buy the paper and read it rather than getting it on the internet for free.
This has got the stench of Murdoch all over it.

Clarkson isn't the only 'celebrity' columnist to have their column removed from The Sun website either and I imagine it is only a matter of time before they get removed from The Times website as well - I'm guessing they'll go for a premium subscription model.

You get most of the site for free but if you pay a few ? a month you'll get all the extra stuff - columnists, crosswords, music downloads, videos etc across all the News Corp products or maybe just News International Products like The Sun and News of the World (which might be a premium site in itself), The Times and its associated publications (Sunday times, Litery Supplement, Education Supplement, Rich List...).

In fact if you look at the product set as a whole it makes a fair amount of sense - they have ENOUGH premium content to get away with it.

I'll buy the book when it's released and stick it in the toilet for it's useful life :p

I decided to do something similar a while ago - I always buy the book anyway but found I'd already read the columns online - so stopped reading online and waited for the book.

Unfortunately that's only good for his Sunday Times column - doesn't apply to the Sun column or anything else for that matter.

Maybe Clarkson should set up a premium site of his own 'Premium Clarkson' ?2 a month for all the rants you can handle!

Three new articles a week (Sun, Sunday Times and Times Motoring) as well as an extra column once a month (Top Gear). Plus video content, an iPhone App and a 'World According to Clarkson' podcast :)

Maybe Clarkson should set up a premium site of his own 'Premium Clarkson' ?2 a month for all the rants you can handle!

Three new articles a week (Sun, Sunday Times and Times Motoring) as well as an extra column once a month (Top Gear). Plus video content, an iPhone App and a 'World According to Clarkson' podcast :)

That would be hilarious, and I'll bet most of us would rather pay Clarkson than some faceless newspaper account anyway. However I'd be willing to bet he doesn't own the rights, or at least not all of them, once the articles are published. I'd be especially suspicious of that with the Sun articles since they don't appear in the books.

IMO, a podcast alone would be worth ?1.95 of the ?2/month fee. :nod:

Clarkson isn't the only 'celebrity' columnist to have their column removed from The Sun website either and I imagine it is only a matter of time before they get removed from The Times website as well - I'm guessing they'll go for a premium subscription model.

You get most of the site for free but if you pay a few ? a month you'll get all the extra stuff - columnists, crosswords, music downloads, videos etc across all the News Corp products or maybe just News International Products like The Sun and News of the World (which might be a premium site in itself), The Times and its associated publications (Sunday times, Litery Supplement, Education Supplement, Rich List...).

In fact if you look at the product set as a whole it makes a fair amount of sense - they have ENOUGH premium content to get away with it.

It's all to do with copyright. I expect Jeremy will hold the copyright in his own column (ooer!) rather than the Sun and presumably now has a contract that prevents their distribution of it by electronic means. It happens quite regularly - stories and columns are often excluded from news databases for that reason.

All the UK national newspapers are currently looking at ways of raising revenue from their websites with the massive falls in both circulaton figures and advertising.