The "New Toys" Thread

Was driver support ok?

With Leopard there was a bit of fiddling about as it wasn't officially supported but everything worked just fine :)

I'm buying the discontinued Macbook, not Macbook Pro.

I'm not too fussed about a backlit keyboard tbh. I'm buying refurb as well, so yeah.

Speaking of refurb, refurb macs in Hong Kong are so much cheaper than Australia its not funny. I might see if I can get my dad to buy it for me and bring it over.

I am steering well clear of anything with an Intel GMA graphics chip though.

I specifically bought the base model because there wasn't really a difference in processor speed (400MHz is not really noticeable) and I don't care about the backlit keyboard as well, I know my keys :-D

Touch typing FTMFW

I'm probably going to pick one up maybe next spring once I start getting ready for college...*yey* :eek:

and many people including myself agree that Windows runs better on a Mac than on it's own native PC platform.

what? :?

You do realise what you've just said... yes?

Well for me Windows on a Mac is business as usual: BSOD, crashes, slowdowns and viruses.

/Obvious Troll ;-)

So that's why the 4 year old iMac I had at work (gave it to a workmate and got me a Windows PC) has the 2nd power supply and the 3rd mainboard by now. Also, I never had any PC hardware fail on me ever in my life (unless I mechanically destroyed or fried it through stupidity). :p

Well, yeah, I had a Mac Mini fried its mainboard and disk controller (in fairness it was left on 24/7 for years).

But generally speaking, you don't get the wonky B.S. failures and annoyances of cheap construction for the most part, like hard disk rf interference over the headphones, cracking hinges, etc. I can't tell you how completely un-reliable the last few Dells I've been saddled with at work have been, and three companies ago they bought nothing but Sony VAIOs, what a bag of failure.

As for Apple not using superior hardware, they tend to go Intel reference design, but maybe it's the $.05 capacitors instead of the $.01 capacitors, maybe it's the better-featured hardware (such as including optical in/out in the sound) tends to be built to higher standards as opposed to Dell getting the cheapest thing Shen-zen can sell them.

Last edited:
Touch typing FTMFW

It's not about touch-typing, I've been able to touch type for at least 5 years. it's about turning up the volume by one notch, or cmd+c - cmd+v'ing something to copy paste in a dark environment. When it's properly dark, you have your screen backlight down to the lowest setting as not to blind you, but it doesn't illuminate the keyboard anymore.

Regardless of your typing skills, when you've used both, you REALLY come to appreciate the backlight.

Well for me Windows on a Mac is business as usual: BSOD, crashes, slowdowns and viruses.

/Obvious Troll ;-)

*laughs* Even still...I haven't gotten a BSOD on any of my PC's (one's Vista Basic, one's XP sp1, one is XP sp3.) for a long time. The only issues I had were on my old laptop which had 2 of it's internal fans burn out, so if I'm using it and I don't at least have it propped up for airflow, or if the room is very warm it locks up, and some 6-year-old hard drives are dying in my desktop so they are giving me troubles.

I can skip a song using the iTunes keys while half asleep in the dark without looking at the keyboard :-D

For me, I'll for example often hit F9 when going for F8, and then instead of pausing a song, I accidentally get rid of it and I'm like :?

Same thing when photoshopping and reaching for a hotkey like cmd+y, you accidentally get cmd+u instead or something.