British man gets in his convertible car, and simply drives around the world

he went through el salvador

I'd love to do this in my Corsa

It'd get as far as the Channel then it'd need something new like a bearing :rolleyes:

apparently he drove a little bit through honduras then turned and went to el salvador

it just makes me want to ermmm....

Higurashi.gif

i hope he doesn't drive back to raise more money:p

This man and this trip are just AWESOME!

I fear his journey may be stopped in the US unless the car is more than 25 years old...

I'm still not entirely sure what happens when you drive a British car with British plates through other countries on the other side of the world. I would have thought he'd be stopped in the US, at least.

It's called the Geneva Road Convention or something like that. As long as you have your visa situated and you alert the foreign government that you are coming, and you have the GB (or whatever country you are from) sticker on the back of your car, you can drive through any nation with any car you registered in your home country (many countries have a max stay of one year or so for the car).

For example, a British citizen (or even an American citizen with residence in Britain) can drive a brand new RHD 2009 Alfa Romeo 159 with British plates all across the US.

----------

Anyway...

WOW This is a fantastic story. I could certainly see myself doing this many years from now. It truly is the ultimate adventure.

Last edited:
The Final Gear WORLD MEET @ Dunsfold Aerodrome! :D
Now with 24h roadside assistance for Alfa Romeo and BL drivers.

Last edited:
Too easy for the british people, we need to go where we don't have anybody :-D

(And of course, everyone with their car ! :-D)

Okay, uh...

The Final Gear WORLD MEET @ Isachsen, Nunavut! :D
Now with 24h roadside assistance provided by Toyota Hilux.

Last edited:
I fear his journey may be stopped in the US unless the car is more than 25 years old...
Looks like he's smart enough to cross North America through Canada instead :D

That doesn't have any Top Gear significance, but I'm down for that! December, anyone? :D

When I heard about driving a convertible round the world I expected something reliable like an S2000 or an MX-5. But A Midget...wow! What a trip!

EDIT: You you could use this:
3668042735_0a4ffdbfa8.jpg

Last edited:
I have a convertible that would make it around the world.

:p

Major props though for this guy driving anything with Lucas electrics anywhere farther than around the block. :lol:

Midget production ended in either '79 or '80. And the 1500s were emissions legal.

You don't even need an adventure bike, you can do this on your YBR too.
Link.

Yes, that guy rode around the world on a tiny 125cc bike. Oh, sure, it took him over 5 years, but what a story! :D

That is my new lifelong dream.:cool: