Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Did you also install a non-crappy headunit and speakers while you were at it? :p :D :mrgreen:

The same headunit and speakers it's had for 3 years; I've never had to turn the volume over 17, and there's enough bass to rattle the loose bits of metal around the package tray in back. I am looking at getting some 5 1/4" for the front kick panels next year just to balance out the sound some though. Not thrilled about the little satellite antenna thing, but it's magnetic so it will take all of 5 seconds to stick inside the trunk.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2009/09/11/headunit.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2009/09/11/antenna.jpg

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2009/09/11/speakers.jpg

^why do you even have a stereo

anyways. while i was away my dad took the mitsu right, he pays pretty much anything i do to the thing so it was only natural that he took it while i don't need it.

so, i recently overhauled it and they replaced pretty much everything but the alternator, guess what part decided to fail thus setting the engine bay on fire?

thank goodness my dad saved the thing from burning completely (i haven't seen the car yet but it seems there was little to no external damage) and the engine just got lightly charred.

so, what does my dad get me to drive around while they repair the car a Toyota corolla, a Mitsubishi lancer?

no, a Hyundai H100 panel van

sync_7249_1649233_25_.jpg

^exactly like that one

i do believe this earns me the title ?most unreliable car EVER!!!?

^why do you even have a stereo

Makes for good music whilst parked. And for those occasional times when you want to jam out.

There's a high-pressure zone at the base of the windshield, so the actual airflow out of the engine bay is likely to be less than expected with that scoop design.

Might want to look into "cowl induction" my good man. Your outlight might be far enough forward to be in a low pressure area, but no way to tell without just stringing the car or hitting up a wind tunnel.

Ah I stand corrected. Though it won't be super close to the windshield. I mainly need it for clearance, heat removal would just be a bonus.

0909_01_z+2010_toyota_prius_plug-In_hybrid+front_three_quarter_view.jpg

Smug alert! Smug alert!

*My issue is with the people who drive them, not the car per se.

That would be awesome. I don't want anything fancy. Here are some rough estimates. I will have more accurate ones later.

3" tall, 11" long, and 21" wide.

I'm thinking something like a WRX scoop (wide) but the opening will be at the back (might as well move the hot air out).

Here is a pic of an MGB scoop I like. I'm looking for something much shorter though.

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/ar/argatoga/2009/09/10/bulgerear.jpg

That looks like a roof vent. Just cut off one end. :lol:

736223131961.jpg

Is the black stuff around a windscreen pane just black paint? I bought a new windscreen recently. It was on another car, and the owner sawed it off with some throttle cable, some of the "paint" had scraped off.Today, when cleaning the glass in preparation for the install (tue most likely) I went over the black stuff on the edges with a razor to get the old adhesive off, and scraped some the black "paint" off again. Afterwards when cleaning the screen with just and window cleaner, I found out that the stuff comes off even when you rub it with paper..

Atm the windshield edges look pretty bad, since there is an uneven 1cm-2cm line of the black stuff around the edges will the new windshield glue cover the clear parts up, and if not, can I just buy some gloss black spraypaint, mask the screen off and paint new black lines around the screen.

I'd post better pics but I have no cam atm, just ask for clarification if you don't understand what I mean.

A pic I took earlier, you can see some unevenness in the black line in this pic aswell, even though I took this before cleaning up the screen:
http://img44.imageshack.**/img44/7169/img2556m.jpg

In that vintage of car, yes, it's essentially paint. Since cars of that era and later didn't have big chrome flashings to hide the seals/adhesives used to hold the windshield on, they painted the edges. Should be able to mask and repaint it, unless you don't care about people seeing the bead of sealant.

This is not the case on newer cars - they hide all sorts of antennae and capacitance sensors under the "paint". There were also some cars of that era that had 'diversity' antennas embedded in the glass - if you have some sort of connector, terminal or button on the glass (and not for the rearview mirror), then the 'paint' may not be paint at all.

Out of curiosity, what does your rearview mirror button look like on that windshield?

In that vintage of car, yes, it's essentially paint. Since cars of that era and later didn't have big chrome flashings to hide the seals/adhesives used to hold the windshield on, they painted the edges. Should be able to mask and repaint it, unless you don't care about people seeing the bead of sealant.

This is not the case on newer cars - they hide all sorts of antennae and capacitance sensors under the "paint". There were also some cars of that era that had 'diversity' antennas embedded in the glass - if you have some sort of connector, terminal or button on the glass (and not for the rearview mirror), then the 'paint' may not be paint at all.

Out of curiosity, what does your rearview mirror button look like on that windshield?

There are no connectors or anything on the screen. It's just a screen :) So can I just go into a hardware store, buy a can of bog standard 2.90? gloss black spraypaint , mask the glass off, and paint it? What do you mean by the "rearview mirror button" The mirror is just glued on the black square on the screen. I can take a pic of the mirror assembly if you want one.

I *think* you can, but you might want to make it a self-etching paint (to promote adhesion and to make sure you get a good seal).

Usually, when you have a mirror that attaches to the windscreen, there's a little metal bracket or 'button' that's glued to the windshield, then the mirror slides or snaps on to that. Post a pic of your mirror assembly... I'd like to see it, because if it's what I think it is, I can tell you where to get an auto-dimming unit that'll slide right on and is easy to wire in.

I *think* you can, but you might want to make it a self-etching paint (to promote adhesion and to make sure you get a good seal).

Usually, when you have a mirror that attaches to the windscreen, there's a little metal bracket or 'button' that's glued to the windshield, then the mirror slides or snaps on to that. Post a pic of your mirror assembly... I'd like to see it, because if it's what I think it is, I can tell you where to get an auto-dimming unit that'll slide right on and is easy to wire in.

Ok, I'm going to need to buy some adhesive on monday, so I might aswell look for some black self etching paint. If I can't find any, I think I'll just give the dried "bog standard" paint surface a bit of a key. I'll post a picture of the rear view mirror assembly tomorrow :)I would +rep you, but I have done so recently.

Last edited:
got a new alternator for the mitsu and it's working properly again, perhaps it won't set itself on fire this time

Where is the fun in that? Random fires keep you on your toes!

that's why people buy lambos

I think these are pretty funny:

(From Jalopnik)

500x_LucasJagSpeedAd-1-500px.jpg

500x_Jalopnik_090909_Lucas_spoof-500px.jpg

500x_LucasSportsCoilAd-brickyard-500px.jpg

500x_lucas_new_friends-500px.jpg

500x_lucas-500px.jpg

500x_LucasSpares-brickyard-500px.jpg

500x_500x_Lucas12Days-500px.jpg

More here

And, what do we think of this:

marussia-b1-stock_-(9).jpg

marussia-b1-stock_-(6).jpg

Last edited:
I'm probably alone, but...in another color, I'd dig it!

it's hateful

:lol: I love that MGB with the axe in it. I now have a new avatar.