Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

There's something that happens more and more with idiot drivers lately around here. It's a low-speed issue, but still annoying that it seems to be happening so frequently, and increasingly so.

I know it's in some states (not all), but here in California, you can make a u-turn at a green arrow, unless there is specifically a sign that prohibits it (usually this is just in one-lane roads that are too narrow for many vehicles to make a simple u-turn).

The issue is the traffic that has approached the intersection from the left, and has a red light. While "right turn on red" is also legal here, it's only legal "when the way is clear". However, people take "right turn on red is allowed" to be much higher on the right-of-way hierarchy than it actually is.

"Rright turn on red when the way is clear" does hot have right-of-way over someone else's legally permitted turn at a green arrow.

So often, I'll be in the middle of a u-turn, and then the person to my left will take off into the intersection making a right-turn into the direction I'm going, and cutting me off.

It happens so often at this one particular intersection on my way home from the post office a couple times a week, that if I'm in a grumpy mood already, I've starting taking the 2-mile-longer route to avoid making the u-turn.

I‘ve noticed some aggressive patterns here in germany. People will get uncomfortably close because they think you shouldn‘t be following speed limits.
100% agreed.

If you set your cruise control to the speed limit, then inform yourself by using GPS about how much your speedometer and CC add to the real speed, otherwise you end up going slower.
Irrelevant. If I’m doing 118 in a 120… or 108… or anything else above say 95, there is exactly zero (!) reason for anybody to be riding on your ass. It’s just assholes being assholes because they’re getting away with it and German fines and punishments for car drivers are notoriously way too cheap/lax.

You "should" go speed limit + 10%, according to most people. At the very least, go the speed limit.

If you set your cruise control to the speed limit, then inform yourself by using GPS about how much your speedometer and CC add to the real speed, otherwise you end up going slower.

And you know that same as in the US, drivers here bend or flat out ignore the rules as long as they get away with it. Just drive with the amount of bending you are comfortable with and ignore the idiots. They can overtake if they want. And of they can't, not your problem.

Since Waze automatically opens with Carplay in the Fregatte, I always have GPS confirmation for speed. Usually means setting cruise control between 3-4km/h over what you think. Which results in the other problem. The drivers that do follow the limit set their cruise control to exactly what their speedometer says. :D

Which results in the other problem. The drivers that do follow the limit set their cruise control to exactly what their speedometer says.
Even without the gps correction you’ll end up with a mess because everyone’s Cc/speedo will be slightly different 🤷‍♂️ +1 for TACC, then it’s just a matter of finding someone who’s actually doing something similar enough and managing to ignore the speedo taunting you with it’s 118 km/h reading 😐 the latter is the hard part in all this imo.

Even without the gps correction you’ll end up with a mess because everyone’s Cc/speedo will be slightly different 🤷‍♂️ +1 for TACC, then it’s just a matter of finding someone who’s actually doing something similar enough and managing to ignore the speedo taunting you with it’s 118 km/h reading 😐 the latter is the hard part in all this imo.

Yeah for sure...

One that I deal with on a semi-regular basis is where the A61 and A1 (towards Koblenz) merge together and there's a fixed 100km/h limit there for obvious safety reasons. Problem is, before this you're in an unrestricted section on the A61, and hardly anyone slows down.

On Friday some halfwit thought it was a good idea to haul garden trash at commute o’clock, secure it badly to the trailer and then proceed to drive 40 in an 80 to keep it from flying off.

If there’s anything that will make you hated, that’s it.

I've promised myself that my next project will be something with a double-digit number of cylinders. Then I see two S-type manuals for sale within striking distance of around here. Two V6s count as a V12 right?

But only if you park them really close and slightly offset from one another :p