James May: The weekly Telegraph column by James thread

Gah, wish I could go to the Goodwood revival, as a mere visitor!
Ah well, there is always next year I guess.

Love James' columms, always an entertaining read.

Not really much of a spoiler, but this was the closing line in the article about his lego house being dismantled...

James May was not available for comment today because he was filming in Romania.

The column isn't online yet, but Maygrail was kind enough to scan and post the article on the JMB. Here it is:'

James is ready to march on Whitehall in defence of the freedom of...cyclists! :D

dt03102009.jpg

Hmmm. James's piece seems to have provoked some debate this week, as well as a lot of name-calling.

I have a question and wasn't sure where to ask:

(please be gentle to the noob!)

I know that James and Sarah have been together for a while (so sweet!) but I can't remember ever seeing a picture of them together.

Anyone know why?

There are some pictures of them together, but generally there seems to be a consensus between the two of them that she stay out of the limelight. I don't think we know much more than that (obviously, given the circumstance).

I have a question and wasn't sure where to ask:

(please be gentle to the noob!)

I know that James and Sarah have been together for a while (so sweet!) but I can't remember ever seeing a picture of them together.

Anyone know why?

There are some pictures of them together, but generally there seems to be a consensus between the two of them that she stay out of the limelight. I don't think we know much more than that (obviously, given the circumstance).

If you check, there are very few photos of any of the TG3 with their significant others. Francie shows up a bit more because of various causes (eg Help for Heroes) that she supports, and Mindy obviously because of Hamster's autobiographies, but Sarah (AFAIK) doesn't do those sorts of things and therefore is rarely seen. She was the programme "James May's Top Toys" very briefly, describing James as "an 8-year-old boy", but as Fly says i have read somewhere that she just prefers not to attend public outings with James. Fair enough, I say and if it was me (oooohhh that it were me ;)) i would be the same.

Last edited:
I dunno about that. Of the three, I've seen more pictures of Richard and Mindy together than I have of Jeremy and Francie, or James and Sarah (I've seen only one of J&S together...and they were in public).

Anyhoo...

James said:
So back to this effort to regulate the relationship between the car driver and the cyclist. The great pity of it all is, I believe, that it will end with the regulation of the bicycle itself. If the condition of riding a bicycle is to be recognised in law, then it will have to be framed in it. If the cyclist is to enjoy the seemingly unilateral protection this proposal offers, then the car or truck or taxi lobby will demand that bicycles are registered, insured and tested for roadworthiness.

And that will be the end of the bicycle as most of us know and like it. The whole point of a bike is that it is effectively free at the point of use. Obviously the tyres gradually wear out and you will need to eat more bananas, but there are no real running costs or administrative pains in the rear. That's as it should be.

Let's not forget, too, that the bicycle is merely first base on the great personal transport merry-go-round, and leads naturally enough to a car or a motorcycle. When that great day comes, then it comes with tiresome paperwork, but until then the bicycle offers the essence of the liberty we crave without having to fill anything in or up. It's also quite good for picking up groceries and riding to and from a riverside puborama experience.

:nod: on all counts.

Originally Posted by ozgirl
but as Fly says i have read somewhere that she just prefers not to attend public outings with James.
Aww...

Sounds like a weird kind of relationship, but if it makes them happy. :)

From what I can tell, I think James would prefer not to go too.

It's not online yet, but the marvelous Maygrail posted this scan on the JMB.

dt10102009.jpg

Last edited:
The only time i have seen them together is a picture from the goodwood show.
And i can't really blame her for wanting to stay out of the public eye.

I think they borrowed HeidiL's car for the pic this week ;)

woouldnt we all......... and not in that way before every one jumps on me for thinking dirty. The only dirt that would interest me is bike oil. I miss the finding a bike engine in the bath in my home (yes that does happen)

woouldnt we all......... and not in that way before every one jumps on me for thinking dirty. The only dirt that would interest me is bike oil. I miss the finding a bike engine in the bath in my home (yes that does happen)

God yes. I'd love a dry and lit space to work on Heinz. I've signed up for a classic car restoration course at the local college which starts in January, and I'm going to need somewhere to practice my panel-beating, welding and painting... I wonder if they let you bring your own cars in to work on? Actually, seeing as the IT job market seems to be a bit flat at the mo, I'm tempted to find out how viable it would be for me to go back to being a full-time student, partially with the OU to keep my brain going and partially with the local college and get qualified as a mechanic. The toughness of the skin on my hands, and the extra upper-body strength caused by the lego hasn't gone away yet, so I might as well do something useful with it... though that might well mean moving again, to be near my sports-tuning friend who's just got a workshop of his own...