Autoblog: Toyota being sued today for *shakes magic 8-ball* "Sudden acceleration"

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/09/class-action-suit-filed-against-toyota-over-sudden-acceleration/

Following a statement from the DOT and NHTSA asserting that the unintended acceleration issue potentially involving millions of Toyota vehicles is "not closed," McCuneWright, LLP, a law firm in Southern California, has filed a national class action lawsuit on behalf of all Toyota and Lexus owners that claim to have experienced this phenomenon. Representing the class will be Los Angeles County residents Seong Bae Choi (owner of a 2004 Camry) and Chris Chan Park (owner of a 2008 FJ Cruiser).

According to the suit, Toyota has known about reports of unintended acceleration for years and has received over 2,000 such complaints. Citing statistics from Safety Research & Strategies, Inc., the lawsuit alleges that there have been 16 fatalities and 243 injuries from Toyota and Lexus crashes attributed to runaway vehicles. Toyota attributes these accidents to improperly installed or incorrect floormats that prevent the accelerator pedal from returning to its idle position.

Wright, though, said in a statement, "[N]either driver error nor floormats can explain away many other frightening instances of runaway Toyotas. Until the company acknowledges the real problem and fixes it, we worry that other preventable injuries and deaths will occur." Hit the jump for the official press release from McCuneWright.

[Source: McCuneWright, LLP]

PRESS RELEASE

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Toyota to Correct Sudden Acceleration

REDLANDS, Calif., Nov. 6 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The law firm of McCuneWright, LLP, filed a national class action lawsuit yesterday against Toyota Motor Corporation on behalf of Toyota and Lexus owners who have experienced incidents of sudden unintended acceleration.

Los Angeles County residents Seong Bae Choi, the owner of a 2004 Camry and Chris Chan Park, who owns a 2008 FJ Cruiser, will represent the class. Both have experienced multiple instances of sudden unintended acceleration in their respective vehicles, Choi and Park are also among the thousands of Toyota and Lexus owners who have experienced incidents of sudden unintended acceleration while driving their vehicles, and among the millions who are potentially affected by this dangerous defect.

The crash in Santee that claimed four lives in August raised the profile of the issue with the public, Toyota, and federal regulators. California Highway Patrol Officer Mark Saylor was at the wheel of a Lexus ES 350 sedan on Highway 125, when the vehicle inexplicably accelerated to speeds exceeding 100 mph. According to a 911 call of the incident, Saylor was unable to stop the Lexus before it crashed and burst into flames, killing him, his wife, daughter and brother-in-law.

This, however, is not the only fatal crash resulting from sudden unintended acceleration in Toyota and Lexus models. Sean Kane, president of Safety Research & Strategies, Inc., has reported at least 16 fatalities and 243 injuries in crashes involving Toyotas that have been attributed to sudden unintended acceleration. In total, there have been more than 2,000 complaints of sudden unintended acceleration in these vehicles, culled from litigation and consumer-reported complaints to the automaker and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Toyota has tried to lay all the blame on floor mats, launching a recall last month affecting approximately four million Toyota and Lexus vehicles. But the evidence suggests that the causes of these uncontrolled acceleration events are likely more complex, involving computer, electronic, and mechanical systems.

"For years, Toyota Motor Corporation has dismissed complaints of sudden acceleration as being the driver's fault," said McCuneWright attorney, David Wright. "But neither driver error nor floor mats can explain away many other frightening instances of runaway Toyotas. Until the company acknowledges the real problem and fixes it, we worry that other preventable injuries and deaths will occur."

Toyota's first response should be immediate changes to their control systems, so drivers can safely stop a sudden unintended acceleration event, Wright said. Toyota's current design does not allow drivers to easily put the vehicle in neutral, apply the brakes, or just turn off the ignition. NHTSA recently highlighted this problem in a Vehicle Research & Test Center report. It noted that Toyota and Lexus drivers could be stymied in an emergency situation because:

* the ignition button on vehicles with a keyless ignition system must be depressed continuously for three seconds when the vehicle is moving before it will turn off the engine;
* the neutral gear position is difficult to find because it requires the driver to move the shifter both laterally and vertically; and
* when the throttle is in the open position it requires a brake pedal force of 150 pounds to stop the vehicle, five times more than the 30 pounds required when the vehicle is operating normally.

In addition, Toyota vehicles are not equipped with a brake-to-idle failsafe, which many other manufacturers already incorporate in their designs. This failsafe brings the engine to idle when both the throttle is in the open position at the same time the brake pedal is being depressed.

"We think this lawsuit is necessary to save lives," Wright said. "Along with other individual lawsuits, the press, consumer groups, and the government, it is our goal to force Toyota to make these changes."
The shit just never stops for Toyota. It would not surprise me to find out they have been covering up something like this, especially given their recent history of destroying information.

Last edited:
Seriously, how fucking hard is it to move a goddamn floormat?

The (Wal-Mart) floormat I have in my Scion creeps up and gets stuck on my clutch pedal every once in a while. You know what I do?

I DON'T:

• Scream and crash into something
  • Think about how much I can sue Toyota for
  • Wonder why my life has gone so terribly
I DO:

• Move it

Can you imagine what the guys from Car Talk would say if you called in and said "Yeah my car's gas pedal gets stuck sometimes because my floormat jams it; what should I do?"

Last edited:
This is saying that it's not the floor mats causing the pedal to stick, but that some other problem with the cars is causing them to floor it without input from the driver.

The floor mat problem is caused by the pedal sticking all the way down when you floor it. This is saying that while rolling along at less-than-full-throttle the car will suddenly accelerate without changing the pedal position. Toyota is trying to say the problem doesn't exist and that it's related to the floor mat problem, which they already "solved" with some zip ties. Of course, Toyota was also accused of destroying emails that had been demanded by a court not too long ago.

I've gone back and bolded the relevant sections.

Last edited:
Hmm. Skynet's trying to bump us all off.

Are these cars all throttle by wire or do they have mechanical linkages? Does anyone know?

Sorry, skimming fail.

The lack of brake-to-idle is a TOTAL AND UTTER failure on Toyota's part, but I'm of the position that such a device should be a federal mandate like seat belts and air bags currently are.

Are these cars all throttle by wire or do they have mechanical linkages?
Throttle-by-wire, I would think. I can't think of any way a mechanical throttle would just suddenly jam wide open the way they're describing.

Last edited:
This has never ever happened before, the media would never ever inflate a false claim. Ever.

If it's not drivers fault but a technical problem, why is it exclusively happening in America?

Good point. It could be that whatever is causing the alleged problem came from a supplier that only makes parts for the North American market, or it could be that since we are so litigious in this country that it's the only place it's getting any attention.

Toyota - the new Audi :D

It's not just throttle by wire it's BRAKE by wire as well (which is the worst idea ever) I also agree with the idiotic design of the gear shifter. It's made like old school benzes that makes it move more like a manual as opposed to an automatic in the way it moves. It's actually pretty damn confusing even for me whenever I drive my parents car, for regular people in a panic situation it could be damn near impossible to go to neutral.

Last edited:
Someone at Toyota really must have pissed of a Witch Doctor or something. They make Mark Webber look lucky.

It's not just throttle by wire it's BRAKE by wire as well (which is the worst idea ever) I also agree with the idiotic design of the gear shifter. It's made like old school benzes that makes it move more like a manual as opposed to an automatic in the way it moves. It's actually pretty damn confusing even for me whenever I drive my parents car, for regular people in a panic situation it could be damn near impossible to go to neutral.

We had an old Benz, and to go from D to N and back is very easy. I never had any problems with it, you just push up and slightly away and it goes right into N.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no hard evidence that this is a hardware problem, and no production car will overpower it's brakes. The only real accident there was, was chocked up to an aftermarket floor mat. The rest is just idiots jumping on the class-action bandwagon. Toyota even has error codes programmed if the throttle and pedal are mismatched.

This is no different than the H1N1 hysteria, media-manufactured paranoia. Call me when there are facts not speculation.

Toyota vehicles are not equipped with a brake-to-idle failsafe, which many other manufacturers already incorporate in their designs. This failsafe brings the engine to idle when both the throttle is in the open position at the same time the brake pedal is being depressed.

erm.. no. I'd hate to have this function installed on my car. Cos I use my left foot for braking, and for some corners I need to keep my right foot on the throttle, whilst feathering the brake pedal with my left foot to position the car or transferring the weight balance.

Having this silly fail safe switch would pretty much mean that the engine is gonna go into neutral/idle while I'm in mid corner. Nice, can't think of a better way to crash. :rolleyes:

Left foot breaking =/= normal driving. Anyway that could be solved by giving it an off switch for when you know it will be interfering.

No, it's not BBW. That's still illegal in the US - you have to have a mechanical/hydraulic connection between the pedal and the calipers/wheel cylinders.

Now, there can be other sorts of brake assist and brake force distribution added to that equation, but they all are required to fail-out of the system in case of failure - in other words, they cannot fail in such a way that they prevent the simple hydromechanical base system from being able to stop the car.

Also, regular people in a panic situation freeze up, so there's nothing you can do about that. Doesn't matter because by US law, you *must* be able to put the vehicle into neutral from drive without any interlocks or lockouts. Period. It's for just this situation - it's not unprecedented, after all. (Carburetor icing and old drum brakes, yay.)

Last edited:
^Really? I heard of some BBW fails in Toyotas maybe last year? Glad to hear that they still have a brain in the US....

It is true about D to N, I can do it in my car. A few times I have tried to shift up and put it in N because I wasn't in tiptronic mode :(

We had an old Benz, and to go from D to N and back is very easy. I never had any problems with it, you just push up and slightly away and it goes right into N.
Easier than say pushing up and going into N (won't go past N either w/o brakes)? Also the Benz gearbox was fully gated there was no wiggle room. The Camry for instance (probably others) have it all pretty dumb where if you push the lever left you go from D to 4 and there is no gate stopping you from it. Either way I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to have anything but a straight gate for an auto, not like these days they are connected to anything mechanically.
erm.. no. I'd hate to have this function installed on my car. Cos I use my left foot for braking, and for some corners I need to keep my right foot on the throttle, whilst feathering the brake pedal with my left foot to position the car or transferring the weight balance.
Somehow I don't see left foot braking as an issue in a Toyota.....

Last edited:
Easier than say pushing up and going into N (won't go past N either w/o brakes)? Also the Benz gearbox was fully gated there was no wiggle room. The Camry for instance (probably others) have it all pretty dumb where if you push the lever left you go from D to 4 and there is no gate stopping you from it. Either way I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to have anything but a straight gate for an auto, not like these days they are connected to anything mechanically.

Sez you.

000_0133.jpg

I had the mat situation happen to ME!!!!!!!! In my M5.

I put it into neutral, pulled over. Moved mat.

Man I missed out, shoulda sued.

If anyone knows how this started, it was a guy and his family getting killed by the throttle being open in his car. Even IF it was the mat's fault, there are so many things that he could have done. Turn the key, bump it into neutral, scrape up against a reservation, go into a ditch, anything.

Even though I heard the police call (you hear his wife and daughter) in the background rather scared, It seems the only reason he died is because he wanted to save his car (please dont neg rep me over that). What else could it have been?

I've never been in any car where that situation could get me killed.