the handwriting thread

As far as the writing of every doctor I've seen, they have the courtesy to slow down and form enough letters to understand it when writing the important bit of a prescription rather than the stereotypical single letter followed by a nearly smooth curve for each word.

hw.png

I hear that a lot, here's my response: You spend $3-5 on a few pens every so often. You lend them out, people don't return them. You lose them. A couple weeks down the line, you have to buy more pens. Extrapolate that out over a year, even a few years (say your high school/college stint) and you'll find you've spend hundreds of dollars on cheap pens that you no longer have.

Meanwhile, I've paid a couple hundred for a pen, and I'll still be using it in 30 years. I already do some not too minor repair work on vintage pens, so I can bring them back to life, and for the problems that may pop up that I can't handle I can send them off to a proper repair person.

I understand.

I used to hand out pens back in MS/HS, but then slowly stopped because I would have expected people to bring their own/ I had no friends :lol:. If I do lend them these days it's usually because someone needs to sign something or write something down real quick.

In any case, It usually takes me about 2-3 months or so before the aforementioned $3 pen gets dried out. That means $12-$20 a year, which isn't really much for me.

Again, I don't mean this in any offense, I'm just putting out my perspective. I have a friend whose dad is a big pen collector. As a result, when he came down to SD, we hit up the mall and he headed over to Mont Blanc to check out pens for his dad for father's day.

When I tested out those pens, I just kept thinking "None of these have made my handwriting better and I'm trying really hard. No way in hell would I shell out $300 for this". The only one that made my writing look ok/good was a calligraphy pen. To each his own right?

Pens don't make you write better. You have to actually write better to write better. That's something I've never understood- why people think that way. One of the keys is writing with your whole arm, from the shoulder, not just your fingers. In that way, you're much more consistent. As a bonus, when you learn to write "from your shoulder" you can hold the pen any way you want, and still write the same.

Furthermore, Montblanc doesn't have $300 pens, nor do they do calligraphy pens, so your perspective is still off a bit there. :lol:

Pens don't make you write better. You have to actually write better to write better. That's something I've never understood- why people think that way. One of the keys is writing with your whole arm, from the shoulder, not just your fingers. In that way, you're much more consistent. As a bonus, when you learn to write "from your shoulder" you can hold the pen any way you want, and still write the same.

While I agree with this completely, you can't deny that your existing good handwriting is most certainly made more... evident ? by your nice pens. Just looking at the samples you posted with different pens, it's easy to say that some of them look nicer than others. The bottom one makes me think "well that's some very nice, neat handwriting" but the green one is positively artistic.

Here's some random excerpts from a book, written in my standard carefree handwriting with a few different pens.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2009/11/15/random_scribbles.jpg

Since you wrote them all, I do think the pen can improve a good situation a bit.

While I agree with this completely, you can't deny that your existing good handwriting is most certainly made more... evident ? by your nice pens. Just looking at the samples you posted with different pens, it's easy to say that some of them look nicer than others. The bottom one makes me think "well that's some very nice, neat handwriting" but the green one is positively artistic.

Since you wrote them all, I do think the pen can improve a good situation a bit.

Well yes, but that's not really the pen as a whole. The line that's put down is completely down to the nib. The green writing that you like there is the result of a custom commissioned nib I had done specifically for me by a very good nibmeister. The nib work alone cost more than the pen it's in, you could go out and buy the same pen with a basic nib for $40-50. It's not at all practical for everyday use unless you're just signing giant novelty contracts and checks.

No offense to those who write poorly, but you give my custom nib to someone who writes out shaky chicken scratch and all that will happen is gigantic green blobs and scribbles. You need the proper technique and good practice before you can start to beautify with a specialty nib. Every hesitation or mistake made with a normal pen is only magnified with a big broad one that gives that artsy look.

The best, most expensive pen you could find would be useless with a bad nib.

The best example are probably the old Esterbrook series of pens. They made 3 or 4 pens that all took easily interchangeable nib units, of which there were at least 74 different styles for different writing uses, here's one of their old ads showing some of them:

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2009/11/16/ebpoints.gif

Last edited:
handwritten.jpg

Also, "nibmeister". Hehehe. :lol:

Furthermore, Montblanc doesn't have $300 pens, nor do they do calligraphy pens, so your perspective is still off a bit there. :lol:

Some company. I'm pretty sure the store name was mont blanc but I may have forgotten the name of the pen brand itself. The sales rep did say the pens we looked at cost between $180 - $300. I can guarantee that.

Honestly though, I like to think that thickness of the pen and your own comfort has something to do with it.

I could be completely wrong but, that's just how I've felt. Those big PhD pens with the massive gel cushion things, for example, don't do squat for me.

Some company. I'm pretty sure the store name was mont blanc but I may have forgotten the name of the pen brand itself. The sales rep did say the pens we looked at cost between $180 - $300. I can guarantee that.

Honestly though, I like to think that thickness of the pen and your own comfort has something to do with it.

I could be completely wrong but, that's just how I've felt. Those big PhD pens with the massive gel cushion things, for example, don't do squat for me.

Well, you may have been in a Montblanc boutique, but when you buy from their boutique the lowest priced pen they offer is tiny and retails for $315. It's possible if you were in a mall you went into Paradise pen, they sell all different brands of pens, including Montblanc. And for slightly less.

I'll agree with you on the thickness aspect of a pen, that plays a roll in the comfort when using the pen. If you aren't comfortable then you won't be able to write your best.

We need to go into business though.

Step 1. You write
Step 2. I'll extract and make it into a font.
Step 4. Profit!

Noooo my our money! :p

Make one that spaces letters properly and money will flow.

Er, yeah. You may note I have the handwriting of a 5 year old and never learnt joined-up handwriting.

handwritings.jpg

OMG! A fanfic. Burn it! Buuuuuuuurn it.

Hahaha, that fanfic excerpt = lulz.

MAN LOVE RULES OK!

A sample of my handwriting (notes I wrote down while studying for my HR mid-term):

http://img526.imageshack.**/img526/8823/dsc00241f.jpg

Here's mine....

Attachments

• Digitalizar0001.gif
    Digitalizar0001.gif
    90.4 KB · Views: 76
-blows dust off thread-