E46 M3 CS vs Cayman S

E46 M3 CS vs Cayman S

• Total voters
BMW everytime, four seats, a real trunk, and the noise of the bimmer straight 6 is absolutely untouchable.

Also I must know, which would you take LeVeL?

Take out of the equation adding the lsd to the porsche, I havn't looked at any number but odds are it costs 1500ish and install is not something you can do yourself add another 1000 and that's a 2500 premium on a car that already costs more.

Last edited:
Also I must know, which would you take LeVeL?

Not sure, hence the thread. At the moment I think I'd go for the Cayman. However, there have been times in the past when I would have gone for the M3. Its hard to say really, seeing as the closest I've ever gotten to driving either was in Forza 2 (where the cayman was a LOT more fun)

You cannot NOT vote for that M3 with the way it sounds...that metallic straight 6 is one of the all time automotive greats...and you can powerslide that M3 until day's end...

Last edited:
You cannot NOT vote for that M3 with the way it sounds...that metallic V6 is one of the all time automotive greats...and you can powerslide that M3 until day's end...

It's not a V6

You cannot NOT vote for that M3 with the way it sounds...that metallic V6 is one of the all time automotive greats...and you can powerslide that M3 until day's end...

Since when has BMW made V6-engines?

I'd go for the BMW hands down. It's more practical, better looking and just pulls the right strings for me.

M3 every time.

The M3, 'Cause it's badass.

The Porsche every day of the week, and twice on sunday. The only reason as far as I see it to chose the M3 is if you somehow need the two seats in the back, if not, then Cayman all the way.

According to EVO, the Cayman S is the best driving non GT3-labelled Porsche on sale today, which says a lot. I remember Chris Harris did a test of the E90 M3 against the Cayman S on the Nordschleife in very wet conditions, the conclusion was the the Cayman was a league above the M3 as a drivers car.

Last edited:
The E90 is completely different from the E46!

It has numb-er steering, a quiet interior, a softer suspension, its longer, its heavier, and has practically nonexistent useable torque at low rev. It produces fast times, but its not as much a drivers car as the raw E46. But I would agree, the Cayman is made as a pure drivers sports car, but I wouldn't say a league above.

It's not a V6

Fixed, my fingers typed V6 automatically :p

And yes, you can't compare the E46 to the E90, it's a different beast entirely.

The E90 is completely different from the E46!

and has practically nonexistent useable torque at low rev. [\QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said minus the usable torque, my father has a 330 and it has plenty of down low torque, I have no idea what the dyno curve looks like but by feel i'd say you have atleast 180 lb/ft by 2000 revs.

Found dyno curve, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218

actually makes over 200 at 2000 revs and 169 at 1000 revs so... i'm not sure what you're talking about.

Last edited:
The numbers are deceiving. Just drive it, you'll feel the difference immediately. You really have to rev it to feel anything. It may be the loss of the "butt dyno" feel of it due to the ride/interior noise dampening, but its really disappointing.

haha this is compared to the e46 M3 btw.

I just had a look at the dyno curve... thats for an e46 330i, which is completely different engine series (m52) vs the S64 series. apples and mangos man.

Last edited:
I'd go with the Cayman. Mainly because I don't really like the sort of people that drive E46's here. Most of the owners drove through Halfords with their cars. And you hardly see any Caymans here.

I'd go with the Cayman. Mainly because I don't really like the sort of people that drive E46's here. Most of the owners drove through Halfords with their cars. And you hardly see any Caymans here.
There's a nice reasons. So, i don't like the people who drive them (I might even envy them, that's why) and Cayman is a bit rarer at my area, therefore i'll ditch the bmw and go with the porsche, riiiight.

So you'd choose the car by those two things if you'd be buying one?

Last edited:
I don't want a car which should have been named the Cockster. Even tough I like the Cayman more as a machine, I chose the M3 becuase it's just great.

M3 > Cayman

M3 pretty much wins everything, from straight-line performance, cornering speed to lap times. Having said that, if you are after the driving experience, I guess the Cayman should be slightly better in this department. That doesn't mean that the Cayman handles better than the M3 though.

Okay, M3 is slightly better in straight line performance but laptimes? Are you sure about that?

http://www.fastestlaps.com/index.ph...d5d96147b9&car2=458da861dbf7c&excludewet=true

And as for handling and being a driver's car, just by looking at the weight, the Cayman S is 450lbs lighter than the E46 M3 so to me it wouldn't be surprising if the Cayman S turned out to be better handling and more of a driver's car.

Who gives a shit about other drivers? If Hitler had owned an NSX, I'd still want one pretty badly.

I don't want a car which should have been named the Cockster. Even tough I like the Cayman more as a machine, I chose the M3 becuase it's just great.
:lol: So the Cayman is the better car but you wouldn't pick it because of an unofficial nickname given to it by JC?