Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

LOL I agree if we apply something called "logic" to the situation that is far and away the superior plan! Unfortunately this thing we call "logic" doesn't apply to my mom. Once she's decided she wants to do something herself, well, that's that. She has a brand new iPod with no music on it because she refused to let me set it up for her. I had to SHOW her how to set it up. Well, I don't own an ipod (and I hate them) so that wasn't going to happen. Although now that you mention outsourcing, we still have one nice camera store in town with educated staff. I'm going to go over there before I hit up Best Buy and see what they have going. I need to shop dSLRs for my dad anyway. I have a few more weeks on that one and am less intimidated by that since I actually understand them (and know they exist!).

The trouble with those photo and negative scanners/converters is two fold. You either get one that's fast and easy and cheap, and it makes low quality digital results; or you get one that's fairly expensive, more fiddly to use and quite slow but gives amazing results.

I've been looking for one as well because I'm tired of my mother bringing me stupid Kodak photo discs with medium resolution pictures and really crappy software. I've also decided on a proper slow high resolution scanner version and my final two choices are the Epson V500 Photo, or the Canon CanoScan 8800f which I'd prefer. Those choices were made after a long night of scanner researching.

Oh wow. Thanks. That's really, really helpful. $200 isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, considering my brother and I will be splitting it. They are both flat beds, but both do negatives and slides. It looks like they both have an option for one touch scanning? I think she needs that. I'm going to have to sit down and discuss exactly what she expects I suppose. She's had some kind of digital camera for years, but I'm guessing now that she's on Facebook (groan) she wants to post all this really old stuff.

Thinking of getting this

img113860_09072009102459.jpg

A4Tech X-710BK. 400-2000 dpi at ~12 euros. I'm looking for something relatively cheap to replace my wireless Genius one. I've had a couple A4Tech mice before and they did their job nicely.

Canada must have the worst bloody cell phone companies and plans on the face of the earth. The only good company with decent phones on it is Rogers, and 500mb for data is $50 a month...

Oh wow. Thanks. That's really, really helpful. $200 isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting, considering my brother and I will be splitting it. They are both flat beds, but both do negatives and slides. It looks like they both have an option for one touch scanning? I think she needs that. I'm going to have to sit down and discuss exactly what she expects I suppose. She's had some kind of digital camera for years, but I'm guessing now that she's on Facebook (groan) she wants to post all this really old stuff.

I don't recall all the specifics of each once since it was a month or so ago since I researched them out, but I seem to recall wanting the Canon over the Epson because the software and auto dust removal were given better reviews. Either one would be sufficient though. I know the Canon has buttons for simple scanning modes, not sure about the Epson. Of course the other advantage of those two is they're excellent standard flatbed scanners as well, not just photo scanners, so they have extra uses as well.

If she just wants something small that only scans in standard 4x6" and 5x7" prints and perhaps negatives and slides at the touch of a button get her one of the cheaper standalone units for it, just know the end result will only be medium quality digital files at best. Otherwise I'd for sure recommend a proper scanner.

Qwest is really starting to piss me off. Here I'm stuck with 1.5Mb and they taunt me, sending me adverts about upgrading to 7Mb. Well, I would if you would get your asses in gear and make it available in my area!

The sad thing is my only other choice is Comacast. :(

May someone explain, in plain language, what "hammering a server" is.

Thinking of getting this

img113860_09072009102459.jpg

A4Tech X-710BK. 400-2000 dpi at ~12 euros. I'm looking for something relatively cheap to replace my wireless Genius one. I've had a couple A4Tech mice before and they did their job nicely.

^That was optical. I found this laser one for ~the same price and with 600-3600 dpi. I'm getting this one(free shipping FTW)

14224b.jpg

XL-730K

So...now that TPB and Mininova are pretty well toast...what is a good alternative, I know of isohunt but that one seems sketchy, I've had a few bad torrents from there.

The trouble with those photo and negative scanners/converters is two fold. You either get one that's fast and easy and cheap, and it makes low quality digital results; or you get one that's fairly expensive, more fiddly to use and quite slow but gives amazing results.

I've been looking for one as well because I'm tired of my mother bringing me stupid Kodak photo discs with medium resolution pictures and really crappy software. I've also decided on a proper slow high resolution scanner version and my final two choices are the Epson V500 Photo, or the Canon CanoScan 8800f which I'd prefer. Those choices were made after a long night of scanner researching.

My parents have Canoscan 4400f and it makes really good results with slides. It is really slow though.

So...now that TPB and Mininova are pretty well toast...what is a good alternative, I know of isohunt but that one seems sketchy, I've had a few bad torrents from there.

BTMon has been pretty good for me.

So I just got in a hacky kind of mood and did what I usually do when this kind of thing comes up in the small hours of the morning - walked downstairs to my storage room, picked a random piece of hardware off my shelf and brought it back up to my office.

Today, I brought back a used Cisco Aironet 350 access point. Kind of cool, but it's still just a silly 802.11b adapter. The power over ethernet adapter that was in the box with it is way cooler in terms of actual shiny-factor, but still utterly useless because the Aironet is the only PoE device I own - to my knowledge, because there are boxes of shit I can't even begin to wonder where it came from down there.

However, I figured it may have a Cisco rollover cable in the box and god knows I always need more (I wasn't exactly thinking clearly, it has a DB9 port on the damned thing, not a Cisco console port) so I pulled the documentation and mounting bracket bundles out of the bottom of the box.

The documentation is for VoIP router modules, not this silly access point.

WHY COULDN'T I HAVE THOSE INSTEAD?

Flashing a cell phone with a new Windows Mobile ROM, hardest part is deciding which one to go for....:wall:

Qwest is really starting to piss me off. Here I'm stuck with 1.5Mb and they taunt me, sending me adverts about upgrading to 7Mb. Well, I would if you would get your asses in gear and make it available in my area!

The sad thing is my only other choice is Comacast. :(

We were on landlord-provided Comcast when we lived in Provo and, believe it or not, it was actually very good service. It was up 99.99% of the time and always fast. 2 things I can't say about the Qwest service I've used.

Any ideas on a new hard drive for my MB pro?

I'm thinking WD scorpio blue - 500GB, 5.4K RPM, $100AUD, but I could get a Samsung Spinpoint for the same price.

The other alternative is a Scorpio black 320GB. Same price, but 7.2K RPM compared to the blue's 5.4K RPM. Would the increase in performance be worth the premium?

Last edited:
^depends. There is a noticable speed difference, but do you need 500 Gigs or not?

That's what I'm trying to debate myself atm. I've lived with 120GB on my old Asus for quiet a while just fine, but now that I am running 2 different OSs my space requirement might change.

Take the scorpio black, i have the 160gb version and the speed are very nice compared to my old toshiba hd.
and with 320gb you can have the both os's have 160 (less than 150) gb of space and you wouldn't have to clear some programs.

If you later need more than 320Gb, go for usb-hd's :p

But don't take my word, i'm just a finn with a laptop as a gaming rig :p