Random thoughts.... [Tech Edition]

So glad that my ISP had the forethought to send me an email telling me about planned down time in my area tonight. /s

hmm now that sweden reads my and other email + inet + voip, i might have to start using secure email :|
fuck you sweden!

I'm beginning to curse my Antec 900 desktop case for being such a dust magnet.

But then, I'm not sure what I would get as a replacement and what I want to do with my old one.

Sorry. Should have clarified.

My "extended desktop" is my TV on the other side of the room, which isn't always turned on. Let's say that last night, i was watching TG on the TV while the SO is using the computer. The show ends, so I switch over to NBC for a while before I turn off the TV and go to bed. VLC is closed while it's open on that 2nd monitor, even though that TV has been turned off. The next morning, i turn on the computer, and want to watch a video clip, so I click the link...VLC opens, but it's on the other screen thats turned off. Now I have to go across he room to turn the TV on, change the source, drag the player back over, and hope I remember to "un-maximize" before I close it, of else it'll open up back over on the 2nd monitor again.

There should be some sort of option in "properties" where you can make it only open on the "main" screen all the time...like how you can tell it to always open a program maximized.

I used UltraMon for a while, but I couldn't get it to jive with my TV for some reason.

I just realized that making two themes would fix your problem. Have one for when both screens are active and one for when it's just the computer itself. If the TV is off and something opens to it, just right click the desktop and select the computer-only theme, and the program will move over.

Something like that might work...Windows 7 doesn't seem to be able to save different resolution/monitor settings with a theme...

hmm now that sweden reads my and other email + inet + voip, i might have to start using secure email :|
fuck you sweden!

But their logo is nice!

https://pic.armedcats.net/k/kn/knarkas/2009/12/03/438px-F?rsvarets_radioanstalt_vapen.svg.png

They're hiring btw.

Last edited:
Speaking of UltraMon, is there a way to get it to play nice with docking and undocking? I was using it at work for a while, and every time I would do either, everything went to hell. Extended desktop doesn't have any problem with it, but I do like that UltraMon is more powerful.

Ultramon doesn't seem to complain about my docking station here at work :dunno:

^Want :blowup:

It's completely and utterly worth every penny they want for it. I only paid $149 for it. I'm more than satisfied.

The keyboard... it's interesting. It's certainly strange, and the delete, shift and space keys are in different places than my previous phone, so I'm hitting wrong buttons fairly often. It's not bad, per say. I've had it less than a day so far, but I'm not annoyed at the keyboard, so it will get easier to use. Worst case scenario? I use the onscreen keyboard- it's standard and works quite well.

My opinion is don't let the keyboard keep you from getting it. It will be weird and a bit annoying at first, but you'll get used to it- like any other new gadget.

Alright, my mom wants "one of those devices that easily transfers photos & slides to the computer." Um, wot? I'm guessing this is some kind of bespoke photo scanner. I haven't even heard of anyone using these in years and then only vaguely. Any ideas? Don't ask me why she can't just use the flatbed scanner they already have.

Sounds like she wants something that you can just stick a stack of photos onto and have it scan them all as a batch job. Maybe look into all-in-ones or something more business-oriented?

Yes, it does sound like that, but does that even exist? If it does, sounds WAY out of my price range.

That dos sound quite expensive. Even a decent enough scanner that'll make good color scans of photos aren't cheap.

Thanks for the thoughts. I have a few hours before I'm off to Best Buy, but I don't see anything even close on newegg. Once I have to hit up something like google or amazon the search is just too vague for good results. Maybe I can find something fairly simple to digitize slides at least. My mom has thousands of slides and film prints and I know they made negative scanners at one point. Looks like I'll be shopping a HD too.

Last edited:
You're best bet might just be to take all the stuff to Walmart or CVS or something and have them put it all on DVDs for you and just give that to her.