Bucking?

You replaced the belt on the outside of the engine right? you have a chain that goes from your crank to your cams and it's inside the block surrounded by oil.

You replaced the belt on the outside of the engine right? you have a chain that goes from your crank to your cams and it's inside the block surrounded by oil.

the VR6 does, but not to many japanese cars that come with chains ;)

Yeah, most Asian fours use cam belts, not chains.

dang, I stand corrected, then you all sound right about the belt being off.

My car has a 4cyl jap motor and a chain I thought most cars had timing chains.

Nope, most of the recent econobox and "midsize" populations have belts, only recently switching to or back to chains.

There is a reason why there are entire chains of shops that prosper doing nothing but timing belt changes.

I'm thinking cap and rotor....

P9140066.jpg

P9140068.jpg

P9140070.jpg

P9140070.jpg

I'd assumed that you'd checked that already. :p

Yeah, that might cause it. That said, it looks like it came off a flood car, where's that thing been?

Haha, well I really hadn't been able to check anything at all. Finals week and all ugh. Glad that's over.

Well it hasn't been submerged as far as I know :p However I did blow a radiator hose right underneath it slightly before I noticed these symptoms...

Well, replaced the cap and rotor and no dice. Still not startting. Did notice something else interesting. The rotor set screw had comepletely come off and was wedged in the splashe shield. Looks like it got loose and just traced a path in the splash shield with a nice hardened molton plastic around the edges. I wonder if the internals of the distributor are screwed, like possibly the coil.

The coil is normally located outside the distributor and thus should not be damaged by parts on the lose inside the distributor.
Looking at my Kadett, you will see the distributor mounted on the right side of the engine block, with a cable leading to the coil, which is mounted on the right inner fender.
3360010116_750bb236f9_b.jpg

Still, this does not rule out an unrelated faulty coil.

duuuuuuude

clean your engine bay :D

The coil is normally located outside the distributor and thus should not be damaged by parts on the lose inside the distributor.
Looking at my Kadett, you will see the distributor mounted on the right side of the engine block, with a cable leading to the coil, which is mounted on the right inner fender.

Still, this does not rule out an unrelated faulty coil.

On these cars the coil is in fact located inside the distributor housing. I'm going to test it today.

It's also possible that despite looking good for the tests, the distributor or sensors inside it are in fact toast. Many of that type are not necessarily coolant-proof, and there was a lot of coolant residue in that thing.

Well, I'm going to a boneyard tomorrow, so perhaps I'll pick one up while I'm there as a favor for airmenair.

I'm going back to try to salvage some stuff out of the X308 that got clunked. Specifically the throttle body and brake switch as spares for a friend of mine and the dashboard clock for my desk - so something of the poor car lives on after being murdered by Obama and company.

In addition, I'm going back to get some W201 bits for my friend and cohort in MegaSquirt crime, milltek. And of course to see what else might be there worth taking - perhaps I can find a WD21 Pathfinder LE or up-optioned SE model I can take the heated side mirrors from.

My last run prior to this was to get the 4.6/LSD/disc brake rear axle for my Pathfinder.

Last edited:
Good idea, from the pictures you posted that 308 looked to have quite a few quality bits left. Heated mirrors seemed frivolous to me for the longest time, but now that I have them I love them. Scraping frost off of mirrors is a pain! :lol: Will you have to rewire for the mirrors, or is it already in the harness?

I don't know if the truck is wired for them already, but it seems likely. If not, well, wiring holds little fear for me. :D