Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

The suicide pills DID kill you.

No need for popcorn, this is just a friendly argument between buddies. :tease:

Edit: We should be in a pub, really..

The suicide pills DID kill you.

I knew something about that discussion reminded me of that one time I used an Olympus.

I kid, I kid. :p

To quote myself back in the day..

"Yeah, I know, it's annoying, every time I press the shutter the bloody thing explodes.."

^^

That said, I did find it funny getting haggled by mates with Nikon gear in the pre-D3 times, they haggled me for getting a camera that didn't do that well at high ISO. Funny, as Nikon really didn't do that good at high ISO at the time..

:p

Yeah, sure. For headshots, you might be better served by the 85/1.8 (even on crop), but that's significantly more expensive, and really rather useless for more general photos in limited places (indoors, for instance).

b) urrong, Oly has a 9-something. Not that wide, but still less than 20mm equivalent so still ultra-wide. :p

Yeah, but then again the 9-18 is smaller than most UWAs, it's cheaper than most main brand UWAs and it's superb.

(It's not like there's no bad Oly lenses. The 18-180 is utter shit and the 14-45 and 17.5-45 early kit lenses were as good as syffilis.)

Last edited:
Ugh. :?

So I went to a camera shop here in La Jolla to check out the Canon EOS Rebel XSi and the Nikon D5000. They didn't have the XSi but they did have the T1i so I played with those.

Both felt sturdy, they had great viewfinders, both felt comfortable (and the Nikon felt even more comfortable to be honest), so I was hooked.

The first person I talked to was a Nikon guy and said that the XSi is a good camera and that you really don't need to upgrade if you're just doing amateurish photography. If you take care of your cam, all you need to do is buy lenses, and with the canon its easier and cheaper to find lenses. He was too preoccupied with printing and stuff so he directed me to the main salesperson who then showed me the cameras.

This guy then said that I should get the Nikon instead of the XSi because of the sensor, and some deal they were offering where it comes with a kit lens, and a bag + a DVD for $699.95 ($100 savings). Plus the Nikon has video recording capability (which I don't really need).

The deal I found online for the XSi was the camera + kit lens and a free bag for $595.

So now I'm confused. Do I assume the XSi feels like the T1i and go for it because it's cheaper and I can get more stuff for the money (including a tripod and memory card all for $714.95) or do I go into the LJ shop and get the Nikon sans tripod because its newer, feels sturdier and whatnot?

All the Rebels I've used all feel exactly the same. See my previous post here about tripods.

There's not a whole lot between those three bodies. Note that, if you go with the Nikon, you're limited to a specific selection of lenses because it only uses one of Nikon's two autofocus systems (electronic-drive AF versus mechanical-drve AF).

Nomix suggests lolympus in 3...2...1...

Reactions: LP
http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS500D/Images/sidebyside1.jpg

XSi (450D) and T1i (500d) are, for all intents and purposes, the exact same body (externally). The T1i only being different in that it has holes for a mic and speakers (and high res screen). FWIW, Canon tends to only revamp X0D and Rebel bodies on every other model.

The D5000 has a nicer screen than the XSi, video (you won't care 99% of the time, but for the <=1% you'll be happy you have video capability), lower noise, is newer. But it's a dirty nikon, ewww. :p

I saw your post about tripods earlier and took your advice. I think the ones that I was first looking at were all flimy cheap and meant for P&S as you said. So I'm going for one I found online that supports 7.7 lbs (Manfrotto 7302YB). It's a ball head with a quick release system, and everyone that's used it and have written reviews all use it with their DSLRs (one of them specifying a Nikon D90). They all give it positive reviews and so I think that should be good for now. I know if I start getting heavier and bigger lenses, then it might be problematic to assume the tripod can support the weight. But if it seems like I need to upgrade I'll do it then.

If need be, I'll just modify my telescope tripod and just plant the camera on that. I think my telescope tripod supports like 80 lbs or something. Jk jk :p

I think I'm just gonna go for the XSi. I will probably thrown in an extension tube just so I can try for some macro shots. I think debating between these models is just splitting hairs at this point.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I will take all of your advice with regards to accessories. I just hope I made the right decision.

All the Rebels I've used all feel exactly the same. See my previous post here about tripods.

There's not a whole lot between those three bodies. Note that, if you go with the Nikon, you're limited to a specific selection of lenses because it only uses one of Nikon's two autofocus systems (electronic-drive AF versus mechanical-drve AF).

Nomix suggests lolympus in 3...2...1...
I'll suggest any camera. What's somewhat sad is that it probably wouldn't fall into your mind to suggest an Olympus, or a Pentax for that matter..

:)

One thing I can't stand about Nikon is the adjustment dial and the reverse zoom ring, it seems so foreign to me. XSi is a good camera and I only picked the T1i over it because it was the newest model. I've never used the HDMI output nor the video mode too much. I love the screen though...it makes all of my photos look great until I blow them up on my computer screen :lol:

Yes, Nikon does employ the zoom ring of doom.

I guess it's less of an issue when you start out with one, then you get used to it, just like you get used to the taste of bad lager. :p

That said, one thing I really hate is the way the bayonet mount works, it's less of an issue when you're attaching smaller lenses like the kit lens and the smaller zooms, but if you forget it and use something like a 70-200VR, that's a little harder...

https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lurkerpatrol/2009/12/20/XSi.png

:cheers:

Cheers guys, thanks for all of your help and advice. I know I might have been really annoying when I was pushing for an older model and constantly applying my budget limits on my purchase, so I apologize for that.

Anyways, the shipment should be here Wednesday! Woot!

Not bad...your grand total is what I paid just for the T1i with kit lens. One other thing, I've never gone beyond ISO 1600, even though the T1i has 3200. I would recommend downloading the free beta of Adobe Lightroom 3 for batch image organizing and processing too.

Yes, Nikon does employ the zoom ring of doom.

I guess it's less of an issue when you start out with one, then you get used to it, just like you get used to the taste of bad lager. :p

That said, one thing I really hate is the way the bayonet mount works, it's less of an issue when you're attaching smaller lenses like the kit lens and the smaller zooms, but if you forget it and use something like a 70-200VR, that's a little harder...

I don't find any of that a problem, but as I haven't used anything else much I can't comment on other brands. I'm essentially stuck with Nikon, I'm so used to the way everything works using other brands confuses the crap out of me. There's no way I will ever bother with the trouble of learning another camera system, it's not worth the hassle.