Hockey 2009-10

Anyone watching the World Juniors right now? Its alright this year, just very uncompetitive hockey. Canada has averaged 10 goals a game over just 3 games :thumbsup:

^I've been watching team Sweden games, looks like Canada vs Sweden this year again!!

Stupid Russians... <_<
Austria was bit easier though. :D

^will you be watching the game tonight? :) I sure will!

And there seems to be a European Hockey league planned, teams from Sweden, Finland, Norway, Austria, Germany, Switzerland and possibly the Czech rep. and Slovakia will participate. There will also be teams from the KHL there..

I think such a league will have a hard time, People here are not that interested in seeing teams Sweden playing against teams from lets say Switzerland...
Not to mention that Swedish teams have a really hard time competing on the same level when it come to the economics..

Last edited:
^will you be watching the game tonight?

No, because stupid MTV3 bought the rights for U20 games, and put it on a pay-channel. :mad: Maybe some net-stream...

Last edited:
^Do you speak Swedish? If so you can watch it on www.svtplay.se
Or just watch the game and listen to the radio or something.. :p

Last edited:
That looks good. Too bad I don't speak Swedish, and it's just not the same when Mertaranta isn't shouting.

I'm feeling the olympic hockey hype starting to build up in me.

Going to be weird with the time difference though. Matches starting through the night from 22 to 7 in the morning.

With pretty much all the Olympic rosters out now I'm feelin the hype too.
Canada is looking stacked. I mean when you have to cut stars like Doan, Smyth, St. Louis, Lecavilier, you know that you've got the best selection.

Finland looks to be above-average come February, although I'm worried they're relying too much on veterans which was why Canada suffered so badly in '06.

Sweden looked like it was gonna be prepared to aim for a repeat but sadly they're plagued by injuries now.

And Russia? all offense, no defense. They'll crush the weaker teams but fall apart when facing the big boys mentioned above.

Good thing I wasn't watching the game tonight. :mad:

With pretty much all the Olympic rosters out now I'm feelin the hype too.
Canada is looking stacked. I mean when you have to cut stars like Doan, Smyth, St. Louis, Lecavilier, you know that you've got the best selection.

Finland looks to be above-average come February, although I'm worried they're relying too much on veterans which was why Canada suffered so badly in '06.

Sweden looked like it was gonna be prepared to aim for a repeat but sadly they're plagued by injuries now.

And Russia? all offense, no defense. They'll crush the weaker teams but fall apart when facing the big boys mentioned above.

Canada is and has been gunning for the gold from the very beginning so no surprise there. The goalies in particular are...ahemm....rather strong: arguably the best goaltender ever to play the game, Brodeur. One of the best goalies of recent years, Luongo and then you have a guy like Fleure to throw in as a back up....damn.

Finland...I'm not so sure. Thus far I have been a defender of Jalonen, his tactics and his way of building up a team, but now I admit my faith is tested. So many names I have a hard time agreeing with: Olli Jokinen first and foremost...utterly useless as a player, no real merit, known to be a difficult persona. Just a mindboggling choice. Jarkko Immonen....has never brought the goods when playing for the national team even when having a stellar season. Jere Lehtinen has been in a steady plummit during the last few years and very near to the end of his professional career. He should follow Teppo Numminen's example and quite while still not making a complete fool of himself. Ville Peltonen I can cope with since he always fires up for the national team.

But....all this and NO Jussi Jokinen ?!? What the fuck ?!? One of our best players currently in the NHL and he gets shafted ? And especially considering how Jalonen tends to lean on the faster moving, offensive hockey, J.J. should fit his gameplan like a glove. But noooooooo, let's take Old Man Lehtinen and candofuckallaexceptwhining O. Jokinen.

Defense is solid, quite good firepower but lacking in skill with the puck and offense with names like Nummelin and Koistinen being injured.

As for Sweden...I don't know. They always seem to get results when the crunch time comes even with supposedly weaker lineups but now they also have a very good list of names to bring. Though one huge surprise: Forsberg....really ?? The same man who hasn't had a healthy week for the last 5 years ?

As for Russia and their weak defense; it has always been and will remain for a long time to come as Russia's achilles' heel. USSR and Russia have always been about moving the puck, very fast and strong offensive game which will bedazzle the opposing team and dismantle their defense to bits. And Bykov has continued this trend with remarkable results. Russia is the strongest threat to Canada and by a big margin: It's Canada, Russia and the rest.

I have been hyping Vancouver 2010 for a year now as this year will be The Greatest Hockey Tournament of All Time: all the best players, played in Canada and in small rinks. This is the year to win the gold if ever - whoever takes the cake this year will undoubtedly have to be and beat the best.

My prediction:

Canada and Russia duke it out in the final, Russia taking the gold - Team Canada will fall under the immense pressure from the home crowd.

Bronze medal match will be between Finland and Sweden, the medal probably going for the Finns in what I think would be a dreary match with both teams having almost zero motivation but Finland having maybe 2% more than our western neighbours.

Possible wild cards: None really, save it for USA. Their young team has come of age in the recent years and knocking Finland out in the last WC games was a great testament to the longevity and the ground work that's been done. Still though I think it won't be enough. Outside the top 4.

Why is Fleure on this roster. I am sorry but no. There are better goalies than him, plus I wouldn't trust him on another "Canadian" team again since last time. That and I hate his playing style. Don't know really why but I just don't like him.

Fleury is on the team because he's the Stanley Cup winning goalie, that's it.

US team will be announced during or after the NHL Winter Classic outdoor game tomorrow afternoon. We ain't going to do well in Vancouver, but it had to be noted.

Edit: On Team Canada and not having Shane Doan- massive mistake. His experience, his work ethic, his drive is something that team could use. He deserves to be on the Olympic team.

On the other hand, he'll be rested up for the stretch run so I can't complain about that.

Last edited:
Shane Doan is one of my favourite players, after watching him at the all-star game last year with his kids I have massive respect for him. He seems like a super down to earth hard working player, someone deserving his money. I don't know how they can put Lecavier (he sucks this year) on before Doan.

Also, I figured this should be posted here as people are probably watching the Junior game right now (and on that note Canada's D-SUCKS this game).

If I hear Eh! O-Canada-Go somewhere I will start cheering for whatever team Canada is playing. Seriously...that is a joke. Our nations cheer isn't something you can create for a bloody contest, it something that just happens over time. "Aussie aussie aussie oye oye oye" wasn't created for a competition.

Seriously Canadians...stand the fuck up for yourselves and don't let this corporate bullshit take over our pride. Lets Go Canada, sounds so much better.

I love the Winter Classic. Its such a great idea. I hope that NHL and MLB keep their relationship going for the foreseeable future.

I'm not the biggest Fleury fan, but i mean he's only the 3rd backup. He might not even play. Plus he's at least shown that he can cope under the pressure of a big tournament by winning a cup.

Also I totally agree with that you on all that bullshit "eh-oh-canada go" crap. Seriously it's awful.